Packers Trade For Nobody Day 557

MacReady

18 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Also, everything I have ever posted here is either complete conjecture or entirely made up out of thin air. It is strictly coincidence that some of it has turned out to be accurate. I do not know a single member of the Packers executive committee and have never had any inside knowledge shared directly to me by anyone in the organization. It will be a total hoot though when Murphy retires and the team eliminates the silos and restores the President job to a background business role.

Again - even if that does occur, it wont be evidence that Murphy was involved in roster / personnel decisions - or more directly stated: had power to overrule the GM.

CW properly defined the reason for Murphy's greater involvement: to discontinue the "non-communication" between the HC and GM.

TT ran a very tight ship - often without MM's knowledge or input. Murphy tried to re-build that communication bridge.

Just now, Leader said:

Again - even if that does occur, it wont be evidence that Murphy was involved in roster / personnel decisions - or more directly stated: had power to overrule the GM.

CW properly defined the reason for Murphy's greater involvement: to discontinue the "non-communication" between the HC and GM.

TT ran a very tight ship - often without MM's knowledge or input. Murphy tried to re-build that communication bridge.

What's important here is that you be reassured that it's mere coincidence if anything I ever said here matches reality

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Interjecting yourself here and there on the other hand is clearly disastrous.

Let's assume you aren't full of schit for the sake of conversation.

(1) How is a system that produced the best 3-season stretch of (regular season) NFL success "clearly a disaster"?

(2) What changed between the end of last season and the beginning of 2022 in the FO structure that resulted in a worse on-the-field product today?

(3) How do you know the answer to #2 is the actual reason for decreased success and it's not related to the players on the field themselves?

It seems to be that you are passionate about your disdain for the FO structure, but were pretty quiet about it (and its impact on the team) while the team was successful while running under the same structure. But now that there is struggle, how are you able to isolate the reason knowing the team had success under the same structure previously?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Nope. Don't dismiss them just as none of you will give him a pass if this plane crashes. Ultimately they didn't get the job done and now the future is on very shaky ground. The one iota of data we'll all be able to point to in deciding whether or not the silos were a good idea, is when they return the Team President role to the level of authority at which Bob Harlan so competently executed it. That will make a strong argument that the silos was a bad idea. At least it will show how it was viewed upon in the eyes of the organization. The Packers organization will at that point have said that three 13 win seasons was not enough to maintain the role that Murphy turned it into. That will speak clearly.

It just seems like you are dismissing those good seasons and labeling them as "not good enough".

And that is coming from me, another Entitled Town Fan.

I mean, to think that we could have this level of dysfunction and still win all those games is staggering.

Like...I get what you are saying.  But the results do not back it up.

You even point to drafting Love as a failure.  But if Rodgers walks, or had Rodgers walked, at least we had a backup plan.

Poorly run organizations do not have a backup plan.

And I'm not even going down the road of "eyes of the organization" or whatever sources you are talking about.

I mean, really, why would you even post this now?  If it was that great of a concern, why not post it in the pre-season and then see if your crystal ball was right?  Instead you wait till 3-5 happened? 

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Hockenson is a free agent after next year and is going to want a huge contract. If you're not a team that pays TEs (and we're not) he's a two year acquisition and you know in year 1, he and Rodgers aren't going to be on the same page. 

He's also going to have a ton of leverage in the negotiation as he's going to know if you traded the picks for him, it looks bad on the FO if he walks immediately. 

All true.   But TE don't make huge money anyway.   Trading down a couple rounds in the draft wouldn't matter because Gute does a poor job of using those picks anyway.

It was a way to solve a problem with minimal capital.  The money end of it could be worked out.  There are tons of ways of dealing with it.  The cap is being used by Packer Mgt as an excuse for their inability to get things done.

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I mean, anytime you can pay 10mil/year for a guy averaging 53 yards per game in the easiest offense to get yards, you gotta do it, right?

I'm not sure losing MVS is the foundational piece of evidence upon which you want to ground your thesis. 

Agree that losing MVS at that price wasn't a mistake.  the problem is that the Packers leadership instead did nothing.  Sammy Watkins?   Who didn't know he would spend more time in the tub than on the field?  That doesn't equate to problem solving.

Rookies?   You've consistently criticized AR for not throwing to them.  Who didn't know this plan at WR was a failure waiting to happen?

4 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

All true.   But TE don't make huge money anyway.   Trading down a couple rounds in the draft wouldn't matter because Gute does a poor job of using those picks anyway.

It was a way to solve a problem with minimal capital.  The money end of it could be worked out.  There are tons of ways of dealing with it.  The cap is being used by Packer Mgt as an excuse for their inability to get things done.

Hmm.  TE's don't make huge money anyway......

Looks like the Hunter Henry's and Johnnu Smith's of the world got like 3 years, $40M.

Good tight ends get 7.2 to 8.3% of the salary cap.

Hock is definitely getting that kind of money...and probably more.

This may be a small amount compared to a QB, or CB or now WR....but we are talking about a position where very few guys really move the needle for wins and losses.

5 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

I love the comments about not being on the same page for a year. A proven player that isn't a moron they will be on the same page right away 😅

Why?  Because of all the reps Rodgers has with them in mini-camp?  OTA's?

Come on.  We know how our QB operates.  This is not a new thing.  And this is the guy who lobbied for Jimmie Graham, then didn't throw him the ball.  

• Like 2

Just now, vegas492 said:

Hmm.  TE's don't make huge money anyway......

Looks like the Hunter Henry's and Johnnu Smith's of the world got like 3 years, $40M.

Good tight ends get 7.2 to 8.3% of the salary cap.

Hock is definitely getting that kind of money...and probably more.

This may be a small amount compared to a QB, or CB or now WR....but we are talking about a position where very few guys really move the needle for wins and losses.

I would put those numbers in the manageable territory.  That is why I think it would have been a good move.   

The kid can play, and we need help.  Is Kelce not worth the money?   I think he can be the same kind of player.

2 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Murphy openly stated the change in structure that made coach, GM, and chief negotiator 3 separate silos that answered to him. He made himself the final arbiter when the any of the 3 sides was in disagreement with another. That a clear departure from the structure the Packers had held since the hiring of Ron Wolf. One in which the GM was the final say on all with a coach and contract negotiator that answered to him. Short memories are a sight to behold.

That is a flat out wrong description of what happened, the reason behind it, and the intentions moving forward

Edited by cannondale