49ers trade for Christian McCaffery

GW21

44 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lol I think this chart needs to be re-done

Yeah, I think the equivalent of the picks sent is like a 1st rd pick(minus the 2024 5th). If a team wanted to trade into the 1st, they'd likely have to give up a 2, 3, & either 4 or 5, maybe a 7th too.

• Like 1

Christian McCaffrey is such an amazing player.  For as good as some of you think he is... he's even better.  Even if you take away his ability as a receiver, he's a top 10 RB.  His vision is insane, it is crazy how many plays he would turn into a positive all on his own because of how well he sees the field and everyone around him.  Everyone knows how elusive he is, but he straight up breaks more tackles than you think he would too.  He improved on his strength so much from college and his rookie year and its helped him become such a good inside runner.  

Ignore the injury talk.  Obviously he could get hurt, but there is no reason to think he's more likely to get hurt than say, Austin Ekeler.  Ish happens and unfortunately it happened in back-to-back years.

I'm really excited to see him in a Kyle Shanahan offense.  For as well as he performed here and obviously super productive, I still feel like his talents weren't fully maximized here.  This is the perfect offense for him and while Jimmy ain't perfect, he's the best quarterback McCaffrey has played well.  Plus McCaffrey was nothing but a class act here, even during this year when he easily could have tried to force his way out but was nothing but a great teammate and leader.  With the Panthers down for the count I'll def be rooting for the Niners in the NFC

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I really think a lot of this comes down to the fact that the team had surplus day 2 picks. Lessens the blow substantially

Exactly and this is why I’m not really sweating the picks we gave up. We basically had two ‘free’ third rounders this year and will most likely get another pair assuming Demeco gets hired this next cycle. McCaffrey is an all-pro back in an offense that is known for its creative run game. I’m really excited to see what he can do here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

This has a much bigger impact than a DJ Moore trade would have, or claypool.  The team doesn't have to change anything they do now to get him involved, but having him here adds a lot of options to what the team can do.

Yea, trading for ANY wideout makes no sense with Jimmy still at the helm. It won't pay out on the backend like our trade to get Sanders did. Different circumstances. And another threat out wide is not the issue for this offense.

This isn't a bad trade at all. The RB room was depleated and we definitely just added more firepower. I just don't believe as uber talented of a RB as CMC is, that his presence helps mask the real deficiencies of this offense.

48 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Yea, trading for ANY wideout makes no sense with Jimmy still at the helm. It won't pay out on the backend like our trade to get Sanders did. Different circumstances. And another threat out wide is not the issue for this offense.

This isn't a bad trade at all. The RB room was depleated and we definitely just added more firepower. I just don't believe as uber talented of a RB as CMC is, that his presence helps mask the real deficiencies of this offense.

If a wideout had long term value, I could see trading for Johnny Hypothetical, although ole Johnny wouldn't make much of a difference this year unless that currently healthy position group got hit with a rash of injuries.  I am looking forward to seeing how far forward McCaffrey can take the offense.  I feel like the offense started average and was getting just a little bit more predictable each week, but McC brings an unpredictable dynamic, and now , IMO the offense is getting better.  I am not sure where the ceiling is now, but at least it is a question!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Seems like the Rams offer was better. Maybe in reality CMC did have a choice on where to go, and Carolina just gave him those two options. With history/connections with Shanahan/Lynch/Bay Area perhaps he just went to the 49ers. Also, the Rams OL ain't looking too hot either. 

My guess is that they wanted to do right by CMC, being a Stanford guy, close to the Shanahan's, Lynch, etc.... as you said, makes most sense, he gets to come back west.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

My guess is that they wanted to do right by CMC, being a Stanford guy, close to the Shanahan's, Lynch, etc.... as you said, makes most sense, he gets to come back west.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they asked him what his preference was. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Seems like the Rams offer was better. Maybe in reality CMC did have a choice on where to go, and Carolina just gave him those two options. With history/connections with Shanahan/Lynch/Bay Area perhaps he just went to the 49ers. Also, the Rams OL ain't looking too hot either. 

Was their offer better? We gave up a 4th this year instead of next 

Cam Akers is a great name brand but I don't think he actually holds any value right now. He looks completely washed. He was never a big guy but now he isn't as quick, and he is a complete liability in the passing game. 

• Like 1

So, there are a lot of ways that this trade can go badly. Injuries. Paying second contract money to a running back.  There's about one way that the trade goes well. And that is that Christian McCaffery does a Marshall Faulk. Both super exciting, versatile weapons that were poorly used by bad teams and injury banged up at the end of their first tenure until about 26. And then hitting a system where their skillset is properly utilized and becoming the turbocharger to the engine. 12-18 carries per game. 4-7 catches a game. 50-100 yards rushing. 40-70 yards receiving. The movable chess piece that greases the gears for the other weapons and punishes teams for dealing with them properly. That Rams game was a Marshall Faulk game (plus a couple of unnecessary carries). Here's to more of them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

So, there are a lot of ways that this trade can go badly. Injuries. Paying second contract money to a running back.  There's about one way that the trade goes well. And that is that Christian McCaffery does a Marshall Faulk. Both super exciting, versatile weapons that were poorly used by bad teams and injury banged up at the end of their first tenure until about 26. And then hitting a system where their skillset is properly utilized and becoming the turbocharger to the engine. 12-18 carries per game. 4-7 catches a game. 50-100 yards rushing. 40-70 yards receiving. The movable chess piece that greases the gears for the other weapons and punishes teams for dealing with them properly. That Rams game was a Marshall Faulk game (plus a couple of unnecessary carries). Here's to more of them. 

28 touches is too much. Now this was probably driven some by Deebo being out, but honest, I want no more than 10-12 targets, want 3-5 scripted targets, and then hopefully about 5 random targets. That's plenty and will fully utilize his skillset. 

Also would like to see a chunk of those carries not between the tackles. 

I want to see him in the slot or out wide nearly as much as I want him in the backfield. 

**edit**

meant 10-12 carries lol 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

28 touches is too much. Now this was probably driven some by Deebo being out, but honest, I want no more than 10-12 targets, want 3-5 scripted targets, and then hopefully about 5 random targets. That's plenty and will fully utilize his skillset. 

I want to see him in the slot or out wide nearly as much as I want him in the backfield. 

Completely Faulk hovered at about 21-24 touches with the Rams - which is right in line with your number. In just about the split that you describe.

Edited by JIllg
Accuracy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

That usage was definitely because of no Deebo & Juice. 

I don't expect that to be a trend, especially with Mitchell close to returning.

• Like 3