Week 8: Cardinals (3-4) at VIKINGS (5-1)

swede700

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Man, this game had it all. And maybe not in a good way haha. 

I was hoping we’d come out of the bye week and dominate. That didn’t happen, but it still always felt like they were in control. That’s something, I guess  

It’s amazing that this team is 6-1 and running away from the rest of the NFC North. KOC has this team scrapping. I hope he gets them dominating soon. Another good week to be a Vikings fan. 

I give him credit for being a rookie head coach and having the team believe in themselves again.

We'll be able to better judge KOC after this season. Will he sustain success, unlike Zimmer? Or, will he be able to recover when the team finds themselves with a roadblock in the way? 

As of right now, I think he's doing a damn good job, but its still a small sample size.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

that’s where I thought you were going. It seems that you don’t think the Vikings are allowed to capitalize on mistakes - like they’re just lucky. Good teams do that. They find ways to overcome mistakes and limitations, and capitalize when opponents don’t.

The Vikings were the better team today and weren’t gifted a win. How many more wins  for you to concede that the Vikings are better than you’ve given them credit for?

I don’t think this is a Super Bowl caliber roster, but they are winning in all of the facets that cost them games the last few seasons. They’re healthy, committing fewer penalties, being aggressive at the ends of halves, using the clock well, and improving areas of weakness weekly. It can’t be fun clinging to a narrative that hasn’t held up. I’m enjoying the success and being optimistic that this is the start of something sustainable over seasons, not a last hurrah.

I'm not clutching to anything. I'm letting the math do the talking. Maybe we severely under achieved last year. Now we are severely over achieving in the same fashion. The truth is in the middle.

They aren't winning in all facets. This was probably the best they've played all year. The defense is bleeding points/yards, or the run game isn't working a and we are hyper targeting one receiver. 8 starts to get hit and is making erratic throws. Were missing FGs and PATs. I'll give you penalties but they were a problem in the Lions game, and today. Clock management hasn't felt good, but they aren't Denver or KC. 

We've done this song and dance all year, and somehow, we are 6-1

This isn't a SB team, but we keep extending a QB and other players that limit the ability to get us there.

1 minute ago, twslhs20 said:

This isn't a SB team, but we keep extending a QB and other players that limit the ability to get us there.

The stars would need to align perfectly for the Vikings to be a Superbowl team. I think Philly, KC and Buf are better teams than us right now.

You make a good point about the extensions. I'm not sure how we fix that.

22 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:This isn't a SB team, but we keep extending a QB and other players that limit the ability to get us there.

Derp. 30 teams won’t make the Super Bowl. 31 won’t win it. Who, exactly would be an upgrade over Cousins this year or next? 

20 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

The stars would need to align perfectly for the Vikings to be a Superbowl team. I think Philly, KC and Buf are better teams than us right now.

You make a good point about the extensions. I'm not sure how we fix that.

You don’t. There’s no upgrade over Cousins this year or next. Extending him was 100% the right move. Period. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

I don’t think this is a Super Bowl caliber roster, but they are winning in all of the facets that cost them games the last few seasons. They’re healthy, committing fewer penalties, being aggressive at the ends of halves, using the clock well, and improving areas of weakness weekly. It can’t be fun clinging to a narrative that hasn’t held up. I’m enjoying the success and being optimistic that this is the start of something sustainable over seasons, not a last hurrah.

i second that emotion.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

I'm not clutching to anything. I'm letting the math do the talking. Maybe we severely under achieved last year. Now we are severely over achieving in the same fashion. The truth is in the middle.

They aren't winning in all facets. This was probably the best they've played all year. The defense is bleeding points/yards, or the run game isn't working a and we are hyper targeting one receiver. 8 starts to get hit and is making erratic throws. Were missing FGs and PATs. I'll give you penalties but they were a problem in the Lions game, and today. Clock management hasn't felt good, but they aren't Denver or KC. 

We've done this song and dance all year, and somehow, we are 6-1

So far your math doesn’t match what’s happening on the field. The argument you’re trying to make isn’t adding up. It’s almost like this isn’t the same team as last year no matter how many different ways you try to say that it is.

edit - I didn’t say they were winning in all facets - of course the aren’t perfect. The whole sentence matters - winning in the facets that cost them games last year. Or as KOC has said “winning in the margins”. I don’t think that anyone in that building is delusional enough to think they have a KC or Buffalo level roster. 

it’s also ok to just say that you don’t like the Cousins extension/Cousins in general, and use that as a reason you don’t think they can win. That’d be way better than using some “math” to seem objective. 

Edited by JDBrocks

I'm convinced the people who don't think we have even a "shot" at the SB this year don't follow football, lol.

We literally have a frame of reference just last season.

Go look up the Bengals' superbowl odds last preseason (hint: they were not favorable)

In the playoffs, the Bengals were 4 point dogs against Tennessee - and 7 point dogs against Kansas City.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

So far your math doesn’t match what’s happening on the field. The argument you’re trying to make isn’t adding up. It’s almost like this isn’t the same team as last year no matter how many different ways you try to say that it is.

edit - I didn’t say they were winning in all facets - of course the aren’t perfect. The whole sentence matters - winning in the facets that cost them games last year. Or as KOC has said “winning in the margins”. I don’t think that anyone in that building is delusional enough to think they have a KC or Buffalo level roster. 

it’s also ok to just say that you don’t like the Cousins extension/Cousins in general, and use that as a reason you don’t think they can win. That’d be way better than using some “math” to seem objective. 

Oh my feeling are well known about Cousins. He's a c. Right up there with Rodgers. Both of them are a waste of oxygen.

I was attempting to reign in my emotions using statistical trends to track progress from last year. I wanted to see if it was an execution problem, or a coaching problem. To me it is an execution problem. The stats have supported that thus far. I'll look again after the Monday night game.