Trades?

Phinsesq

3 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I agree, but Grier hasn't been stellar on his first-round hits, especially not with edge defenders....so that's the good news LMAO.  Also, Chubb was a legit top 5 pick in 2018 and I think he rates superior to any edge defender in the 2023 draft class.

Jalaen Phillips has lived up to my expectations, personally. We just need more than one player capable of pass rushing on all three downs.

14 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Jalaen Phillips has lived up to my expectations, personally. We just need more than one player capable of pass rushing on all three downs.

For me, I still see the enormous potential in Phillips, and I believe that's why we drafted him at pick 18, but he certainly hasn't lived up to being the 18th overall pick......YET!!!

I foresee another draft where we do not address the RB position. Mostert is good but he is 31, 32? 

I am torn on the Chubb move... if you can get pressure your secondary doesn't have to be outstanding. Still not the move I was expecting, not thrilled with what we gave up with the contract issue looming and unresolved. Roquan Smith went for a 2 and a 5. For now I definitely feel like the Broncos won this trade. 

Well if he and Phillips can get to the QB consistently it’ll take some pressure off the DBs. Ogbah has been a ghost and Ingram has maybe had  2-3 good games.

But i would’ve liked a depth move to help out the secondary. I don’t see a playoff caliber group there with Needham, Br Jones, Trill Williams all out for the year and Byron Jones out who hasn’t played in nearly 10 months and has yet to start training.

7 minutes ago, Emerica said:

Well if he and Phillips can get to the QB consistently it’ll take some pressure off the DBs. Ogbah has been a ghost and Ingram has maybe had  2-3 good games.

But i would’ve liked a depth move to help out the secondary. I don’t see a playoff caliber group there with Needham, Br Jones, Trill Williams all out for the year and Byron Jones out who hasn’t played in nearly 10 months and has yet to start training.

I agree.  I almost feel like the Chubb trade is a move to get a playoff birth this season with no security beyond that.

17 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

I agree.  I almost feel like the Chubb trade is a move to get a playoff birth this season with no security beyond that.

I believe they intend to get him under contract or franchise him which I hope it doesn't come to that. Pass rush has been a major concern this addresses that issue.

I am warming up to the trade. Especially since we  also upgraded the RB position with Wilson. I think Chase is a good player just wasn't good in our system whereas Wilson has talent and familiarity. As the pundits pointed out our trade with SF which came from the Tunsil trade helped land Waddle, Hill and Chubb. That isn't bad.   

• Like 1

Chubb is a very good player and definitely upgrades this defense.  Assuming he stays healthy.  Miami just loves them some players that have injury histories.  A potential extension for Chubb now would have to take his injury history into consideration.  Because of that, he may just go to the open market.  Fins got an absolute steal with Armstead due to injury history, but who knows if Chubb would accept the same.

Shipping Edmonds out and bringing Wilson in at RB is a huge deal, imo.  Edmonds, as we all know, was straight garbage in this offense.  He literally leads the league in dropped passes through 8 weeks.  He missed blocks.  His vision was terrible.  It would be easier to list the things he did well, which I think starts and ends at that run he had late in the Baltimore game.  Wilson doesn't have the speed of Edmonds, but he knows this run game very well and can actually be trusted to fill in for Mostert when he gets a breather and inevitably misses a game or two with injury.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

I believe they intend to get him under contract or franchise him which I hope it doesn't come to that. Pass rush has been a major concern this addresses that issue.

I am warming up to the trade. Especially since we  also upgraded the RB position with Wilson. I think Chase is a good player just wasn't good in our system whereas Wilson has talent and familiarity. As the pundits pointed out our trade with SF which came from the Tunsil trade helped land Waddle, Hill and Chubb. That isn't bad.   

Looks like Grier is working on an extension for Chubb.  I expect it to be somewhere around the $20 mil per year average.  Anything less than that would be team friendly IMO.

Miami Dolphins GM Chris Grier Confident New Contract for Bradley Chubb Coming Soon | Yardbarker

Edited by Swampbilly

6 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Shipping Edmonds out and bringing Wilson in at RB is a huge deal, imo.  Edmonds, as we all know, was straight garbage in this offense.  He literally leads the league in dropped passes through 8 weeks.  He missed blocks.  His vision was terrible.  It would be easier to list the things he did well, which I think starts and ends at that run he had late in the Baltimore game.  Wilson doesn't have the speed of Edmonds, but he knows this run game very well and can actually be trusted to fill in for Mostert when he gets a breather and inevitably misses a game or two with injury.  

Chubb is a no-brainer. Get the Edge. 

Edmonds shocked me. When they first signed him I was thinking what a nice pick-up. Then the football kept bouncing off his hands. Remembering back into training camp when he mentioned the McDaniel offense was very different to what he was used to seeing because the quick-cuts were complicated and it was a work in progress.

Except the progress didn't happen. He fit nicely with the Cards and a run-happy QB but with Miami it just didn't work out. Maybe he'll ball out in Denver. 

2 hours ago, FinSting said:

Chubb is a no-brainer. Get the Edge. 

Edmonds shocked me. When they first signed him I was thinking what a nice pick-up. Then the football kept bouncing off his hands. Remembering back into training camp when he mentioned the McDaniel offense was very different to what he was used to seeing because the quick-cuts were complicated and it was a work in progress.

Except the progress didn't happen. He fit nicely with the Cards and a run-happy QB but with Miami it just didn't work out. Maybe he'll ball out in Denver. 

Edmonds has no vision, I'm convinced. Speed isn't enough.

22 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

Looks like Grier is working on an extension for Chubb.  I expect it to be somewhere around the $20 mil per year average.  Anything less than that would be team friendly IMO.

Miami Dolphins GM Chris Grier Confident New Contract for Bradley Chubb Coming Soon | Yardbarker

They got a deal done. Im okay with it, hopefully he stays healthy. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

They got a deal done. Im okay with it, hopefully he stays healthy. 

The terms of the deal are right in line with other pass-rushers of Chubb's stature; most notably Maxx Crosby this past offseason.  But the Fins didn't get any discount at all to take Chubb's injury history into consideration.  Don't love that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

The terms of the deal are right in line with other pass-rushers of Chubb's stature; most notably Maxx Crosby this past offseason.  But the Fins didn't get any discount at all to take Chubb's injury history into consideration.  Don't love that.

I don't think it's a bad deal at all, really, and I think the deals for Edge players starting next off-season will make it look like a bargain (if he stays healthy, of course). Wish we could've negotiated down the gtd money a bit even if it meant a higher average, though, yeah. We're flying very close to the sun, right now.