Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

14 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Apparently just jumped

I mean, that is a loose definition of freak.  He would have been 8th in the broad jump and tied for 6th in the vertical, among combine attendees this year.  And he didn't run or lift?

Christian Watson is a freak.  Rashan Gary is a freak.  AJ Hawk was a freak.  This guy is a big dude that jumps kind of good when compared to other big dudes.  

26 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I mean, that is a loose definition of freak.  He would have been 8th in the broad jump and tied for 6th in the vertical, among combine attendees this year.  And he didn't run or lift?

Christian Watson is a freak.  Rashan Gary is a freak.  AJ Hawk was a freak.  This guy is a big dude that jumps kind of good when compared to other big dudes.  

It's because Smith was #1 on this year's freak list from Bruce Feldman. Testing numbers yesterday didn't quite live up to it, but last year he was doing some real freaky ****.

His former teammate, Aidan Hutchinson, almost was our top guy in 2021, but this year a Wolverine is the No. 1 Freak in college football. The 6-foot-3, 337-pound senior has rare power and agility. So rare, in fact, it’s hard to find the right superlative to begin with. But let’s start with this: Smith does 22 reps on the bench press, but that’s with 325 (not 225). He close-grip benched 550 pounds. He vertical-jumps 33 inches. He broad-jumped 9-4 1/2. Smith, who had 37 tackles last season, has clocked a 4.41 shuttle time, which would’ve tied the best by any defensive tackle at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine, and it would’ve been better than any defensive tackle weighing 310 pounds or more in the past decade. His 6.95 3-cone time would’ve been by far the fastest among defensive tackles in Indianapolis. The fastest was 7.33.

The Bruce Feldman "Freaks List" is usually pretty authoritative, I'm just wondering why Mazi Smith didn't run.  Is he still ailing after the season?  One imagines that teams would know about it, what with the combine's thorough medical checks.

Still, the Steelers appear *all over* this guy so he's probably not falling past 17.

I stumbled on a google spreadsheet I made last year and I found I made a list of all the top 30 visits to the Packers which were reported.

Quite a number of them ended up being drafted by the Packers or later joined the Packers after being cut elsewhere

Tariq Carpenter
Somori Toure
Devonte Wyatt
Christian Watson
Rasheed Walker
Romeo Doubs
Jahmir Johnson (Was waived with an injury settlement)

We later signed:
Jean Delance (originally signed with Bears)
Benjie Franklin (originally signed with Jags)

We had a virtual meeting with Zach Tom too.

10 of the 30 players ended up on the Packers. That's significant. We will need to pay close attention to the top 30 visits list this year, there is a very good chance we will be drafting them.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 1:44 PM, Zycho32 said:

Is that strictly on Name Recognition, you think?

I don't know.  

I don't think Jones has anything "special" left in him, whereas Hilton probably still has the wheels to get bigger "splash" plays. 

But we don't need those, what we need is a solid vet that is reliable and steady.  Honestly, it's Jones.  Not a splashy move, but instead, just a real great solid vet signing.