Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

18 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I view WR as mayyybe we consider Quentin Johnston at 15 if the board falls badly, but otherwise it looks like a day 3 position to address in this draft.

I don't think JSN has a ceiling where you are excited about using a top 15 pick on him. 

Saw an updated report that QJ had a 7.31 3-cone at his Pro Day. If that's true, he may not even make the Packers' board.

24 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

PackFan13… that was posted by “Mr Bad Example” lol

I put a comment in the original post about his username being perfect for him but am trying to be less of an *******. Haha. I literally edited it out.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Saw an updated report that QJ had a 7.31 3-cone at his Pro Day. If that's true, he may not even make the Packers' board.

I've not got into the draft that much this year but I did watch a little of QJ and I just walked away feeling 'this dude run funny'

19 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

I put a comment in the original post about his username being perfect for him but am trying to be less of an *******. Haha. I literally edited it out.

LOL, I was this close to replying, you don't have to be a **** just because you disagree, but I just let it go.  🤣

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I view WR as mayyybe we consider Quentin Johnston at 15 if the board falls badly, but otherwise it looks like a day 3 position to address in this draft.

I don't think JSN has a ceiling where you are excited about using a top 15 pick on him. 

2 of our first 3 picks will be WR/TE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

I disagree he's a significantly more talented prospect than Doubs; a more consistent one maybe.  Playing the slot when you have two future 1st round picks on the boundary is going to open up the field in a way he'll likely never see again.  If you put Doubs on that same team instead of JSN, I personally don't think his production would have been that different.

That being said, my comment on a 20% improvement over Doubs was more about the next two seasons.  Doubs is a similar style of player who will be in year 2 next year and played four years in college; JSN will be a rookie with one year of significant experience in college.  I don't see rookie JSN as likely to provide a big boost over Doubs until that experience difference is equalized.  Doubs is on a dirt cheap contract for the next three years; does it really make sense to spend a 1st and a decent sized contract on a guy if he's only a little better for most of that cheap contract? 

Except JSN isn't "a little better" than Doubs. There's a reason one of them is being talked about at pick 15 and the other went on day 3 last year. You can play the "insert this guy on that team and blah blah blah" game with anyone, it means little to nothing. This idea that he's a product of having those guys around him when they both just went for 1000 yard rookie seasons should tell you those kids are ready from day one. Plus, JSN was the featured WR in that offense, not a third or fourth fiddle. 

JSN - 96/1606/9
Wilson - 70/1058/12
Olave - 65/936/13

It makes sense in the fact that JSN's upside is top tier #1 WR in the NFL. Doubs is likely topping out as a good #2. There's a significant difference in the quality of player here. JSN is more Justin Jefferson than he is Romeo Doubs.

• Like 3

There's more than 40 times when talking WRs. Watch the tape. JSN is always open. He's an elite route runner. You wanna know how you create separation? Put the DB in a blender. We literally just saw, for years, what an elite route runner is capable of. 

His upside is Davante Adams. 

• Like 2

Just now, R T said:

Are you thinking the first 3 picks are 15,43 and 45 or 15,45 and 78? 

I'm assuming that we'll get the Jets pick there. Maybe 2 of the 4 of the board at WR doesn't fall well. Pretty confident one of the 2 2nd rounders will be a TE. 

Those rooms needs more help than day 3 picks.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

JSN runs a mean skinny post. His 4.48 40 at pro day good enough given his agility scores. I'm down with it if Gute goes in that direction. 

Another thing people aren't paying enough attention to is JSN's football IQ and how he uses his hands/manipulates his body to catch the football. He's honestly an extension of the QB in his ability to read the field. Elite route runner with the mind of a QB. He just understands the nuances of the position and that's something you cannot teach. He's a day 1 security blanket for Love. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

2 of our first 3 picks will be WR/TE.

Agreed. I'm talking myself more and more into Kincaid at 15. He's exactly what we need to give Love a legit shot next year. I normally hate the idea of taking a TE in the first but the kid is special and it would give our young QB his instant favorite target. Seems like it's almost a sure thing he's gone 10-20. 

I think JSN will be off the board  as will the blue chip defenders. 

Edited by PackFan13

47 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Another thing people aren't paying enough attention to is JSN's football IQ and how he uses his hands/manipulates his body to catch the football. He's honestly an extension of the QB in his ability to read the field. Elite route runner with the mind of a QB. He just understands the nuances of the position and that's something you cannot teach. He's a day 1 security blanket for Love. 

What complete game cut-up do you think best shows his NFL value? I'm asking genuinely so I can watch it with open eyes.

*Edit - I'm curious because I really do love the idea of a JLove security blanket. It's why I'm also intrigued by Bijan and Kincaid. So if it's at WR, even better.

Edited by incognito_man