Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

Simms on Kincaid

I  agree with him about the blocking being better than some people think. Dude is a legit stud and ran nearly any formation you can ask a TE to do.  Kincaid >> Hock

Edited by PackFan13

Kincaid is great, that is, to play Flex TE position. He will likely go in the first round somewhere.

But if the Packers TE cupboard is empty (well, except for Davis), is not your Inline Y TE position a greater need to fill than your Flex? If so, then were you to take Kincaid at #15 to be your Flex, then you're waiting all the way till #45 or #43 at best (if a trade with the Jets happens involving #43 prior to the Draft) to get that Inline Y guy you absolutely need. 

So then you are gambling that one of the top Y guys, Mayer or Washington, will still be on the board at #43. But what if they're not? What if they both go before #43? Then do you arguably reach for the next best Y prospect, Tucker Kraft, at #45 or do you wait and hope Kraft is still on the board at #78? Or do you wait and go for Schoonmaker at #116? 

So if you take Kincaid at #15, then you might be looking at a drafted TE combo of Kincaid (Flex) + Kraft (Inline). On the other hand, if they managed to trade down from 15 into the mid 20's for a 3rd, then maybe all the TE's including Kincaid might still be on the board, and you could pick Kincaid then, and then trade up from either 45 or 43 with one of your 3rd's (a bit pricey I know), and have a better shot at getting either Mayer or Washington to be your Y guy.

Or if Kincaid is gone by the mid 20's, then you still likely can take your pick of either Mayer or Washington to be that Y which you need, and then take, say, either Musgrave or LaPorta at #43 or #45  to be that Flex guy you want. 

My point is....because I think getting an Inline TE prospect is a higher priority, I wouldn't go for Kincaid at #15. I would consider going for Kincaid if they were able to trade down into the mid 20's and grab him there. 

My underlining bias is this: I want Washington for our Inline TE. I just don't want to pick him as high as #15 and yet I think he will be off the board before #45 (or #43) gets around.

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PackFan13 said:

Simms on Kincaid

I  agree with him about the blocking being better than some people think. Dude is a legit stud and ran nearly any formation you can ask a TE to do.  Kincaid >> Hock

I like Kincaid a lot, but he’s not a good inline blocker. One of the worst in this class. He does block well in space though.

Edited by TheEagle

2 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Kincaid is great, that is, to play Flex TE position. He will likely go in the first round somewhere.

But if the Packers TE cupboard is empty (well, except for Davis), is not your Inline Y TE position a greater need to fill than your Flex? If so, then were you to take Kincaid at #15 to be your Flex, then you're waiting all the way till #45 or #43 at best (if a trade with the Jets happens involving #43 prior to the Draft) to get that Inline Y guy you absolutely need. 

So then you are gambling that one of the top Y guys, Mayer or Washington, will still be on the board at #43. But what if they're not? What if they both go before #43? Then do you arguably reach for the next best Y prospect, Tucker Kraft, at #45 or do you wait and hope Kraft is still on the board at #78? Or do you wait and go for Schoonmaker at #116? 

So if you take Kincaid at #15, then you might be looking at a drafted TE combo of Kincaid (Flex) + Kraft (Inline). On the other hand, if they managed to trade down from 15 into the mid 20's for a 3rd, then maybe all the TE's including Kincaid might still be on the board, and you could pick Kincaid then, and then trade up from either 45 or 43 with one of your 3rd's (a bit pricey I know), and have a better shot at getting either Mayer or Washington to be your Y guy.

Or if Kincaid is gone by the mid 20's, then you still likely can take your pick of either Mayer or Washington to be that Y which you need, and then take, say, either Musgrave or LaPorta at #43 or #45  to be that Flex guy you want. 

My point is....because I think getting an Inline TE prospect is a higher priority, I wouldn't go for Kincaid at #15. I would consider going for Kincaid if they were able to trade down into the mid 20's and grab him there. 

My underlining bias is this: I want Washington for our Inline TE. I just don't want to pick him as high as #15 and yet I think he will be off the board before #45 (or #43) gets around.

You can’t find what Kincaid provides deeper in the draft, and you don’t need to draft Washington to supplement Kincaid. Guys like Kraft, Schoonmaker, Durham, or maybe Allen will suffice.

3 hours ago, TheEagle said:

I like Kincaid a lot, but he’s not a good inline blocker. One of the worst in this class. He does block well in space though.

You’re not drafting him to block . 

This isn’t directed at just you, but what’s the obsession with prospects having to be good at everything? I get it’s preferred but sometimes the traits they have alone makes them dominant.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Sam la porta

14 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Not sure I understand the general desire for JSN on this squad.  He's a solid prospect, but there are people talking about being willing to trade up for him which is crazy to me.  I would have a hard time taking him in the 1st at any slot (again, assuming we're specifically talking this Packers team, not as a general prospect).  Doesn't have the size to be a movement blocker, doesn't have the speed to threaten deep, not sure I believe he has the ability to shake his man at the line on the perimeter consistently.  Packers want to run a lot of 12/21 personnel and for a guy who projects best as a slot (at the very least as he's learning the pro game) where do you put him?  Do you really want to spend a 1st round pick on a 20% improvement over Romeo Doubs? 

Now if you're talking somebody like the Rams who run 11 personnel to an almost fanatical level, sure, he'd be a great pick-up.  Just don't really get where people see him fitting in here.

How dare you, sir!  :)

But naw, he's an ideal fit for an offense who wants and needs someone to win quick and move chains.  He's large enough to play the boundary and ideal sized for the receiving slot role.

He's already an advanced route runner, his 3 cone is out of this world.  He will get off the line and he will get open quickly.  We really need that.

Watson and Doubs can get deep and also run intermediate stuff.  But when we gotta move chains, JSN is kindda perfect.

I feel like you are looking at him as more of a Lazard type role.  Big slot.  Blocker.  Offense is going to change now with Love here and Lazard in NY.  Odds are we can find a big boy to block in the slot in the draft.  But we really need that win quickly WR to compliment the other WR's.

Said it before, I'll say it again.  JSN is a very safe WR.  High floor.  His ceiling is nice, too.  QJ has a much lower floor, and much higher ceiling.  I'm not sure about Addison/Flowers/Hyatt.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Don't have the 2022 numbers on me but the Packers ran 11 personnel 61% of the time in 2021. In fact, there was one team in the entire NFL who didn't run a majority of their plays from 11 personnel. Even if MLF kicks that number down a tad, it's naive to think we aren't running at least 50% in 11. 

That, coupled with the fact that JSN would easily be our No. 2, if not No. 1 WR in terms of targets (and probably receptions), even as a rookie...I really don't get the argument whatsoever for why you wouldn't love to add him to this team. But then again, our fan base has been conditioned over the years to think WRs don't matter and we can basically put anyone out there and be fine. If nothing else, I thought that narrative would disappear now that 12 is gone. 

Funny thing about the personnel we ran last year....injuries and players.  Cobb was hurt (shocker).  Watson was hurt at times.  Doubs was hurt.  Watkins sucked.   

Due to injuries and lack of talent in the WR room...I'm not sure that we ran an offense that MLF really wanted to run.  It felt to me like he was mashing a unit or offense together based on what he had to work with.  And that limited him.

Gimme a WR in the first 2 rounds of the draft....then gimme another one in rounds 3-5.  And one in the 7'th just for good measure.

8 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

JSN had 347 yards and 3 TDS in the rose bowl and I read he’s a slot guy?

Yeah, comparing Utah's defense to an NFL defense seems like a good argument. Especially in a meaningless college football game where a lot of guys who were entering the draft didn't play.

I'm not disputing he's a heck of a player, but to use his best game ever, in what amounts to an exhibition game doesn't seem logical to me. 

Some risk that we overrate Doubs?  He was good... for a rookie.  He was good.... for a 3rd-day pick.  But he's not a blazer.  He doesn't have great capacity on contested catches.  And I thought there were a lot of times when he was single-covered but he still didn't get himself open.  Hopefully he'll be 100% healthy, and he's not a rookie anymore, and he'll get more opportunity.  So, hopefully he'll really emerge.  

But I do admit wondering whether accepting a guy like Doubs as your #2 WR is kinda the landscape where 10-loss teams in the NFL live?  Getting a high-end receiver would be really good.  

Obviously so would be getting a high-end safety, pass-rusher, d-lineman, tackle, and TE.  So many position areas where a high-end player would really bump the talent, I have zero idea how Gute will apply his first four picks.  

I think this is mute point anyway. No way is JSN there at 15 or even 13.

Minimum we would have to trade up with Philly at 10 to get over the Titans and Texans. That would for sure cost us our 3rd rounder and maybe even a little more than that.

So unless we cushty with trading up we ain't getting mo JSN