Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

1 minute ago, R T said:

It really looks that way, I personally like how the board likely falls for the Packers at 15. Sliding QB's could screw things up a little, but still believe they will get a player they love where they are at.   

I think washington could be looking for a falling qb, which puts us in great position to trade down, like to baltimore, and still get a player we love

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Because of his 6 pounds on JSN?

Jefferson was called a slot guy by everyone and their mother in the 2020 pre-draft process. It's the tape we have to evaluate so I get it. However they're 6'1 200 players, there was projection there with Jefferson and there is with JSN.

Bulaga fell because he was "a guard" with shorter arms. In reality he was a borderline arm length guy who you needed to try at OT and at worse you had an elite guard. JSN needs to be tried outside and at worst you have an elite slot.

Their play style is wildly different. Jefferson made a lot more downfield and contested catch plays. JSN was schemed open a lot more.

Definitely don't see Jefferson comp there at all. JSN plays a lot smaller than Jefferson did/does.

Edited by incognito_man

2 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

I think washington could be looking for a falling qb, which puts us in great position to trade down, like to baltimore, and still get a player we love

When you say 'we love' I'm guessing you are talking about a percentage of the fanbase? I disagree that the Packers view slot 22 as the same as slot 15, more than likely that is going from 1st round grades to second round grades on their board.  

12 minutes ago, R T said:

When you say 'we love' I'm guessing you are talking about a percentage of the fanbase? I disagree that the Packers view slot 22 as the same as slot 15, more than likely that is going from 1st round grades to second round grades on their board.  

I think that if qbs fall, the top tier of value position players are definitely gone. I laid out who i think those 9 players are.

I get your position, I just dont see how those 9 guys fall. 

Edited by HokieHigh

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Their play style is wildly different. Jefferson made a lot more downfield and contested catch plays. JSN was schemed open a lot more.

Definitely don't see Jefferson comp there at all. JSN plays a lot smaller than Jefferson did/does.

I think you're clouding your analysis with Minnesota Jefferson instead of LSU Jefferson, but it's fine. 2019 LSU had Joe Brady as it's pass game coordinator, it was a very pro concept system from his time in New Orleans and Jefferson was schemed open plenty.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

I think that if qbs fall, the top tier of value position players are definitely gone. I laid out who i think those 9 players are.

I get your position, I just dont see how those 9 guys fall. 

Maybe your list of 9 is flawed? Maybe the Packers have a group of 11 or 12 non QB's that they view as top tier. Maybe.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, R T said:

Maybe your list of 9 is flawed? Maybe the Packers have a group of 11 or 12 non QB's that they view as top tier. Maybe.   

Certainly within the realm of possibility.

Jsn, Van ness, murphy, nolan, branch, kinkaid, porter, kancey, and skoronski dont make my cut but maybe do make it for the F.o.

I would be excited about bresee too, he probably is my #10 and fine at 15

Edited by HokieHigh
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, incognito_man said:

What complete game cut-up do you think best shows his NFL value? I'm asking genuinely so I can watch it with open eyes.

*Edit - I'm curious because I really do love the idea of a JLove security blanket. It's why I'm also intrigued by Bijan and Kincaid. So if it's at WR, even better.

Pretty much the entirety of the 2021 season. I just remember watching him and raving about him the entire season. His games vs Utah, Oregon, Nebraska, Michigan State, Michigan and Purdue, off the top of my head, we're phenomenal. I honestly can't pick one. 

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I think you're clouding your analysis with Minnesota Jefferson instead of LSU Jefferson, but it's fine. 2019 LSU had Joe Brady as it's pass game coordinator, it was a very pro concept system from his time in New Orleans and Jefferson was schemed open plenty.

This. The hindsight is strong IRT Jefferson. 

54 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

I agree with the thought that while Kincaid is really talented, Mayer and Washington would seem to be the better fit for us if looking at TE early w a La Porta, Kraft or Schoonmaker type later.    I think Gesicki might be a good comp.  Was a productive receiver while Flores was the head coach with 51, 53, 73 catches on 85-112 targets but McDaniels came in with a system that valued blocking more and Gesicki was an after thought this year with 32 receptions. 

In our offense Robert Tonyan was the primary receiving TE and played approx 60% of snaps.   His best years he had 59 and 67 targets.  Mercedes Lewis had 57 receptions and 75 targets TOTAL over 5 seasons in GB but was heavily utilized as a blocker.    I think Kincaid's strengths would be largely underutilized and wasted the way our offense has functioned under MLF.  Perhaps that is more Rodgers choosing not to target the TE more or reluctance to play over the middle and Love may change that?   Perhaps it was we had a reasonable athlete at TE that was a complete liability in-line or an exceptional in-line TE with marginal athletic abilities.    As things stand I'd rather have a fantastic in-line TE like Mayer or Washington that will provide stat lines similar to a Cole Kmet than an underutilized receiving TE

These comments make no sense. Our offense has been limited by the skill players in it. We've had chicken **** at the position and now we get a blue chip TE in Kincaid and you think Matt isn't going to alter how we use them?

Tonyan was JAG before blowing his knee. They aren't in the same planet in terms of ability.

We haven't asked much of our tight ends in terms of being pass catchers under MLF because they weren't very good. Kincaid is a better prospect than hock. 

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Nope. Not at all. I literally was watching his LSU highlights this morning. Didn't watch a single NFL snap of his.