Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

Watson is a perfect partner for JSN tbqh. Watson opens up the field for him and allows him to work the open field with his route running. Line them both up on the same side and watch Love throw for 4000 yards in his sleep.

• Like 1

I wouldn't even take JSN in the first round... he's a well polished guy, sure. But his ceiling is too low. He's not going to win deep. He's not great underneath but he's best lined up in the slot. Only played in 5 games last year. Always had a stud laden surrounding cast. Never been a WR1 for defenses to prepare against. He's tall Amari Rodgers to me right now. Change my mind.

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

Thing is I think LaFleur wants to run more big slot or even just straight 1-2 personnel.  Rodgers's best season with LaFleur they ran 55% 1-1 personnell, 24% 1-2 personnel, and 14% 2-1 personnel.  With a weaker receiving room in general, gotta figure they'd rather lean on the run game, and a guy like JSN doesn't really help you do that.

That being said I don't actually disagree with you here.  JSN's a fun watch because he's so precise in his movements and he does have a great sense of how to attack a DB.  I like him more each time I watch him, I just don't think the value is there in the 1st because for all he does well, I don't see a guy who can create big plays with any consistency.  Only scored 10 TDs in college, three of those in one game, and that's despite being a guy who seems like he should be an ideal red zone weapon.  He just doesn't threaten you with long speed at all, and even on big catches he's unlikely to break free for long TDs. 

To me, that's the biggest difference between him and Jefferson, who is clearly the comp the JSN camp is angling for.  Jefferson was a legit 4.43 guy who could separate on vertical routes with regularity.  He only played the slot because Chase is an eldritch horror made flesh with no known weaknesses and putting Jefferson inside ensures the safeties are always in the wrong spot.

JSN is a slightly slower Greg Jennings.   Great route runner, cuts on a dime isn't going to get deep too often but can take it to the house on occasion.  He could play decently outside but is much more effective inside.  He's a chain mover and a walking first down as a slot WR, and a smart football player.   He'd be Jordan Love's best friend on the field and would easily lead the Packers in receptions right out of the gate.  

Question is, how big of a priority is a WR on Gutes board? They have a lot of ways they could go and a lot needs.  I wouldn't be disappointed if JSN if he makes it to the Packers, just don't know where he is on their board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBobGray said:

I like him more each time I watch him, I just don't think the value is there in the 1st because for all he does well, I don't see a guy who can create big plays with any consistency.  Only scored 10 TDs in college, three of those in one game, and that's despite being a guy who seems like he should be an ideal red zone weapon.  He just doesn't threaten you with long speed at all, and even on big catches he's unlikely to break free for long TDs. 

My preference in the draft is an EDGE so I'll state that upfront.  

I'm on board with most of your JSN counter points as interesting discussion for this point of the draft season.  Turns out I don't agree with them, but they've made me go back and look back at as many videos as I could.   The bolded part is the one area I think is pretty misleading.   JSN had one full season '21 in which he scored 9 TD's to go along with his 95 receptions and 1600 yards.   It's not like he only scored 10 TD's over multiple seasons and 30+ gms which is what the post kind of implies.  He scored 9 in 13 that season.  That is a fantastic ratio for any receiver.  He scored in 6 of the 13 games.  For comparison Davante Adams scored 14 TD's this season covering only 9 of his 17 games. 

As for the consistent big plays - he also had gains of 30+ yds in 8 of those games, 40+ in 5 gms and had a long of 75 yards.   He avg 16.7 ypc on the season.    Other than Jalin Hyatt, how many prospects have a better avg on his volume?

If anyone wants to toss his Rose Bowl as some kind of outlier (because 347 yards is a fluke?) than also toss his first game - 2 catches for 12 yards

17 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

I wouldn't even take JSN in the first round... he's a well polished guy, sure. But his ceiling is too low. He's not going to win deep. He's not great underneath but he's best lined up in the slot. Only played in 5 games last year. Always had a stud laden surrounding cast. Never been a WR1 for defenses to prepare against. He's tall Amari Rodgers to me right now. Change my mind.

Go watch the Rose Bowl against Utah when he dropped 347. He was the best player on the field that day and just about every other day, which included Olave and Wilson...two guys who just proved how good they are as NFL rookies. 

I'm seriously trying to figure out if some of you are just maybe misspelling JSN's name and you're watching someone else's highlights because if you can't see the "it" factor with him, there's no saving you. He's going to be a star. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

My gut is telling me we are taking a T at #15. Johnson, Jones, or that Tennessee guy. OTOH my gut is usually full of the usual stuff.

I think so, too. I could really see any any of those 3 or Skoronski at 15. I think our staff probably like all 4 of them.

30 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

I don't hate this take. I also don't see the upside to take him in the first.

The name we should be talking about as a Jordan Love pick at 15 is Jalin Hyatt. An offense with Watson and Hyatt is going to open a lot of throwing lanes for Love.

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't hate this take. I also don't see the upside to take him in the first.

The name we should be talking about as a Jordan Love pick at 15 is Jalin Hyatt. An offense with Watson and Hyatt is going to open a lot of throwing lanes for Love.

You're going to have to protect Hyatt. They stack him like this all the time so the DBs can't get their hands on him. I'd be happy to take a chance on that explosion and speed at 45, no way in hell at 15.

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

In round 1, I'd buy that skillset on day 2, but no way in the first.

That's what I implied considering the discussion at hand. Hyatt is rawer than meat in a slaughterhouse as a WR. He's all athlete right now. Limited route tree, lacks the nuances of the position. He's someone you dream on later in the draft and he does little to nothing for the WR room in 2023. 

• Like 1