Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

Just now, beekay414 said:

I'm not arguing against Flowers YAC ability, my guy. I'm asking why JSN's doesn't translate.

Think you're sold on other things regarding JSN than YAC IMO. 1.65 10 split vs a 1.49 for Flowers. The ability to get to top speed instantly translates to YAC in the league.

You're drafting JSN for the route running prowess, exceptional hands and boundary awareness and just overall football intelligence. He'll be an average YAC guy. 

• Like 1

Agility and quickness dominance turning into yac in the acc is meaningless in terms of translation. I am lower on jsn than most but his numbers in the b1g are more impressive to me. 

Edited by HokieHigh

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Think you're sold on other things regarding JSN than YAC IMO. 1.65 10 split vs a 1.49 for Flowers. The ability to get to top speed instantly translates to YAC in the league.

You're drafting JSN for the route running prowess, exceptional hands and boundary awareness and just overall football intelligence. He'll be an average YAC guy. 

Amon-Ra St. Brown - 1.63 10 yard split
Davante Adams - 1.64 10 yard split

Both top 10 in YAC at WR in the NFL last year. There's more to it than 10 yard splits. 

EDIT - I'll even add CeeDee Lamb's 1.58 10 yard split to that list. He was also top 10 at WR in YAC. All 3 of those guys posted 4.50 40 times or worse during the draft process as well. All three guys are exceptional route runners. Coincidence?

Edited by beekay414

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Amon-Ra St. Brown - 1.63 10 yard split
Davante Adams - 1.64 10 yard split

Both top 10 in YAC at WR in the NFL last year. There's more to it than 10 yard splits. 

EDIT - I'll even add CeeDee Lamb's 1.58 10 yard split to that list. He was also top 10 at WR in YAC. All 3 of those guys posted 4.50 40 times or worse during the draft process as well. All three guys are exceptional route runners. Coincidence?

Don't think any of those 3 are a good comp for JSN. I've already said his ceiling is Diggs. Diggs is an average YAC guy in the NFL. 

I mean the Packers are a HWS team (Wolf was an Al Davis disciple) so it's hard to see them picking a guy because he's good at his craft over a guy at the same position who's a freaky athlete.

So if the Packers do pick JSN over QJ it's more because of that 3-Cone than his route running prowess.

• Like 1

If your looking for speed to take a safety with him, Hyatt is probably your guy.  

I think they are looking for more of a "Get open on any down" type WR.  A player with a complete or nearly complete route tree.  

A guy who can produce if Watson or Doubs goes down.  In that scenario, you are stuck with Hyatt's route tree.

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Don't think any of those 3 are a good comp for JSN. I've already said his ceiling is Diggs. Diggs is an average YAC guy in the NFL. 

Think you're confusing Diggs in his Buffalo role from Diggs in his Minnesota role. Diggs in Minnesota averaged 4.6 YAC per reception in Minnesota compared to 3.6 in Buffalo.

Lamb's YAC last year was 4.54. Justin Jefferson's was 4.8. Tae's was 4.93. ARSB was 5.0.

So, if Diggs is his ceiling which Diggs is he?

My JSN comp is Greg Jennings.  Smart, savvy, can work in the short to mid levels, exceptional cutting ability.  Jennings worked a lot more outside but had the same skillset as JSN.  Not the fastest guy but had the football IQ to find spots in the zone and live there.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

There's just so much more to the WR position than top end speed. Same as DB and RB. Top end speed should always be the thing that puts players over the top, not the thing that buries them

Gosh it's almost like I have JSN still has a top 3-4 WR prospect in this class. I'm doing literally exactly what you are calling for here lol

His lack of speed results in me putting a couple other WRs "over the top" of him...

Giving a slot WR a late first round value isn't burying him...

Edited by incognito_man