Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

I'm having such a hard time with "no TE in the 1st round" because I generally believe in that, and yet I'm tired of doing spray and pray at that position. If you want Mayer, Kincaid, or Darnell Washington, none of them might be there when you pick in the 2nd round. I say this while realizing that 1st round TEs rarely pan out, even if they have the traits you're looking for. There's mid and late round guys I like, but they're also late round for a reason. I don't know...I don't know... 

5 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I'm having such a hard time with "no TE in the 1st round" because I generally believe in that, and yet I'm tired of doing spray and pray at that position. If you want Mayer, Kincaid, or Darnell Washington, none of them might be there when you pick in the 2nd round. I say this while realizing that 1st round TEs rarely pan out, even if they have the traits you're looking for. There's mid and late round guys I like, but they're also late round for a reason. I don't know...I don't know... 

This draft also has Kraft, LaPorta, Schoonmaker, and Musgrave, so I don’t think you need to chase the other guys. Whyle and Strange are two more guys I like.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Jsn gets run down from behind by so many guys. I get the attraction to chain movers but its just not for me at 15

That is the part of watching him that is hard to get over, doesn't look like 15th overall material when you see that. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, R T said:
1 hour ago, HokieHigh said:

Jsn gets run down from behind by so many guys. I get the attraction to chain movers but its just not for me at 15

That is the part of watching him that is hard to get over, doesn't look like 15th overall material when you see that.

This. And he falls sideways or backwards too much. He plays a lot smaller than he measures at the point of contact. Like his legs just go dead or something.

The reason that I give JSN a pass on the speed thing, is that I don't believe that he wins based on speed.  He wins because of short area quickness and precise route running.  And I believe that will still work at the next level.  I also think that he is on the short list of players that will be worth the 15th overall pick, and may still be on the board when it gets there.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The reason that I give JSN a pass on the speed thing, is that I don't believe that he wins based on speed.  He wins because of short area quickness and precise route running.  And I believe that will still work at the next level.  I also think that he is on the short list of players that will be worth the 15th overall pick, and may still be on the board when it gets there.  

Agree with this, but the caught from behind is the flaw in his game.  You know that going in.  The benefit is a go to guy for a first year QB so he doesn't have to wait, wait, and wait for a receiver to get open. That's invaluable for a first year QB.  

I wouldn't mind the pick but the whole no WR in the first since Javon Walker gives me pause. 

Edited by NFLGURU

I will not talk about Jaxon Smith-Njigba again

• Like 3

Winning teams score points and have good passing games.  So, if the Packers rebuild is going to work, that needs to happen.  But we're going nowhere this year anyway.  Draft whomever is going to be the best long-term asset, don't be motivated by "gotta get X for Love in year 1" logic.  Obviously somebody who's great for Love in year 1 will likely be so long-term, so the two need not be at crossed purposes.  But just don't let short-term this-year stuff distract from the long view.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If people don't believe at this point, nothing will convince them. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

If people don't believe at this point, nothing will convince them. 

I mean, if we're talking "getting caught from behind" and "falls sideways/backwards" as his knocks, then I'm going to assume the kid is pretty ******* talented. It's searching for things not to like. If he was a HR threat every time he touched the ball, he's not on the board at 15 lol.

That's all I'm saying though! I will not be dragged into this again lmao.

37 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I mean, if we're talking "getting caught from behind" and "falls sideways/backwards" as his knocks, then I'm going to assume the kid is pretty ******* talented. It's searching for things not to like. If he was a HR threat every time he touched the ball, he's not on the board at 15 lol.

We've had two receivers since I can remember that had the speed to not get caught from behind: Nelson and now Watson. It's an odd knock to have tbh 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

We've had two receivers since I can remember that had the speed to not get caught from behind: Nelson and now Watson. It's an odd knock to have tbh 

jennings and driver could both break the long one

Edited by HokieHigh

53 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I really don't know what they're expecting to get out of the draft at 15. He's a perfect fit, should he make it to us.

The funny thing is it's often the same people who say "always use first rounders on the trenches, it's not sexy but it works" can't seem to see the value of a high-volume, low-risk WR who would be our first-year starting QBs safety outlet.

53 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

jennings and driver could both break the long one

Jennings mostly because of his smoothness and economy of motion that just put every one else on ice. Prime DD was fast as hell not to mention a tough SOB for his stature.  He could take the top off and had amazing high lights catching from both 4 and 12. His late career run vs. SF was still one of the nastiest I’ve seen from a WR.