Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

15 minutes ago, craig said:

Yeah, we've kind of discussed this before.  In a sense, that enables a retroactive rationalization of almost any pick? 

We all assume they won't take WR or TE.  But what if MLF has been telling Gute that a quick COD WR would transform the offense? Or MLF is obsessed that he can't run his offense without a 2-way TE?  Once they make the pick, and talk about the guy, we'll see some retroactive logic.  

As you say, "almost to a fault" may be a possibility?  You get 4-5 years of control over a draft pick, and those you like you can extend for another batch of years.  But coaches often come and go more quickly, particularly position coaches? 

I get the skepticism about the retroactive look, but that is what good analysis do regardless of what they are breaking down. Investing, gambling or analyzing the draft, a person should put in ample time to understand where they were wrong as well as where they were right. 

Not everything needs to happen with first round potential. MLF very well could be in Gutes ear about TE's, but like last year and the need for a WR to take the top off the defense, things can happen outside of the first round. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chili said:

Lots of players have skipped various combine athletic testing measurements so it's hard for me to identify Star position and Corner/Safety hybrid candidates.  Who should I be looking out for?

Savage did a pretty good job of playing there late in the season and ironically that was when the defense played their best ball of the season. 

The first player you might want to look at is a guy who made a 30-visit Jammie Robinson. A few others would be Antonio Johnson, Jartavius Martin and Riley Moss. IMO   

26 minutes ago, R T said:

Savage did a pretty good job of playing there late in the season and ironically that was when the defense played their best ball of the season. 

The first player you might want to look at is a guy who made a 30-visit Jammie Robinson. A few others would be Antonio Johnson, Jartavius Martin and Riley Moss. IMO   

Where do you think Branch's value lines up? Looking at this class I could see it as early as 20ish. I have him, JSN and Bijan all around the same value point.

51 minutes ago, craig said:

Yeah, we've kind of discussed this before.  In a sense, that enables a retroactive rationalization of almost any pick? 

We all assume they won't take WR or TE.  But what if MLF has been telling Gute that a quick COD WR would transform the offense? Or MLF is obsessed that he can't run his offense without a 2-way TE?  Once they make the pick, and talk about the guy, we'll see some retroactive logic.  

As you say, "almost to a fault" may be a possibility?  You get 4-5 years of control over a draft pick, and those you like you can extend for another batch of years.  But coaches often come and go more quickly, particularly position coaches? 

This isn't completely incorrect.  What we should be doing, or at least what I try to do, is predict what the Packers will do with their picks.  When you are given more information, use that information.  If there is an outlier, or perceived outlier, you have three options: 1. The model is wrong, and should be dismissed.  2.  The model is sound, but some parameters are not perfectly defined.  3.  The model is sound, and there is just an outlier that is an exception to the patterns outlined in the model. 

I think we fall in scenario number two most often.  Walker and Wyatt scream Packers, but Wyatt was 24, and Walker played ILB.  Turns out, maybe age isn't that much of a factor, and that maybe we shouldn't dismiss some positions in the first round.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/GreenBayPackers/comments/12ptwgr/every_packers_predraft_visit_and_top_30_visits_as/

Every Packers Predraft Visit AND Top 30 Visits (As of 4/17/23)

renderTimingPixel.png

Packers Visits (Total):

East-West Shrine Bowl:
Toledo DL Desjuan Johnson
Michigan State TE Daniel Barker

Hula Bowl:
Oregon State WR Tyjon Lindsey
Lane College Edge Andrew Farmer II

Senior Bowl:
TCU QB Max Duggan
Princeton WR Andrei Iosivas
Chattanooga OL McClendon Curtis
Florida OL Richard Gouraige
Michigan C Olusegun Oluwatimi
TCU LB Dee Winters
Central Michigan EDGE Thomas Incoom

Tropical Bowl:
Oklahoma DB Justin Broiles
Vanderbuilt S Maxwell Worship

NFLPA Bowl:
ECU QB Holton Ahlers (3x)

NFL Combine:
BYU QB Jaren Hall
TCU WR Quentin Johnson
Michigan State WR Jayden Reed
Ohio State WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba (multiple visits)
Boston College WR Zay Flowers
Houston WR Tank Dell (informal)
Tennessee WR Jalin Hyatt (Formal)
Alabama WR Jalen Wayne
Notre Dame TE Michael Mayer
Utah TE Dalton Kincaid (Formal)
Georgia TE Darnell Washington (Formal)
Oregon State TE Luke Musgrave (Formal)
Michigan TE Luke Schoonmaker (Formal)
SDSU TE Tucker Kraft
Northwestern OT Peter Skoronski (Formal)
Ohio State OT Paris Johnson Jr (Formal)
Ohio State OT Dawand Jones
NDSU OL Cody Mauch

Auburn LB Derick Hall
Alabama S Jordan Battle
Alabama S Brian Branch (Formal)
Boise State JL Skinner
Oregon State DB Rezjohn Wright (Informal)
Iowa DB Riley Moss
Georgia CB Kelee Ringo
Alabama CB Eli Ricks (Formal)
Oregon CB Christian Gonzalez
Kansas State CB Julius Brents
Iowa EDGE Luke Van Ness
Michigan DT Mazi Smith
Northwestern DL Adetomiwa Adebawore
Texas DL Keondre Coburn

Players Pro Day:
Utah State QB Luke Bonner
Appalachian State LB Nick Hamton
Mississippi State Edge Randy Charlton
Pittsburg Edge Habakkuk Baldonado
Pittsburg DL Deslin Alexandre
Iowa State DL MJ Anderson

Unspecified:
Tennessee QB Hendon Hooker
Stanford QB Tanner McKee
USC RB Travis Dye
Langston RB Tahj Davidson (Informal)
Northern Colorado RB Elijah Dotson
Northwestern RB Evan Hull (Informal)
Southeast Missouri State C Shyron Rodgers
Hawaii OL Ilm Manning
Florida LB Ventrell Miller
Florida S Trey Dean

Virtual Visits:
Arkansas WR Jadon Haselwood
North Dakota WR Garett Maag
Iowa TE Sam LaPorta
Penn State C Juice Scruggs
Minnesota C John Michael Schmitz
Maryland OT Jaelyn Duncan
Mississippi State DL Cameron Young

Top 30 Visits:
Offense:
QB Hendon Hooker - Tennessee
QB Sean Clifford - Penn State
RB Keaton Mitchell - ECU
RB Lew Nichols III - CMU
RB Evan Hull - Northwestern
WR Donatayvion Wicks - Virginia
WR Tank Dell - Houston
WR Cole Tucker - NIU
TE Darnell Washington - Georgia
TE Dalton Kincaid - Utah
TE Michael Mayer - Notre Dame
TE Josh Whyle - Cincinnati
TE Zach Kuntz - Old Dominion
TE Ben Sims - Baylor
OT Darnell Wright - Tennessee
OG Atonio Mafi - UCLA

Defense:
LB/S Marte Mapu - Sacramento State
DB Tyrique Stevenson - Miami
Safety Jordan Howden - Minnesota
Safety Jammie Robinson - Florida State
EDGE Keion White - Georgia Tech
EDGE Will McDonald IV - Iowa State
DL Adetomiwa Adebawore - Northwestern
DT Jaquelin Roy - LSU
Total: 24/30

All Information from @packersinsider_ on Instagram.

30 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Tell me why I shouldn't be pounding the table for Calijah Kancey at 15?

It would pretty much be the same as pounding the table for Zay Flowers. Those players just aren't in Gute's vocabulary, whether you agree with that or not.

53 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Tell me why I shouldn't be pounding the table for Calijah Kancey at 15?

There is no comp of a player with arms that short being successful enough to justify taking him at 15. His bust rate is high. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

It would pretty much be the same as pounding the table for Zay Flowers. Those players just aren't in Gute's vocabulary, whether you agree with that or not.

Brit Pack: Kuh LIE juh  KAN see

Gute: Kuh Jee lub SAAAN kee

11 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I've mentioned my love for Isaiah Foskey on here a few times. I enjoy this guy's breakdown of prospects (he has several others for thos interested) and this is a good one on Foskey.

I like both he and Keion White, a lot.  I don't know which I like better.  FWIW, in almost every simulation that I have run, both are gone by 45.  Both are kind of a tough sell for me at 15, despite how much I like them both.  

17 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I like both he and Keion White, a lot.  I don't know which I like better.  FWIW, in almost every simulation that I have run, both are gone by 45.  Both are kind of a tough sell for me at 15, despite how much I like them both.  

Honestly, if my guys like JSN and LVN are gone, I'd love a decent sized trade back into the 20s, maybe pick up another 2 or early 3 at worst, then draft Foskey.