Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

Could HOU be talking to SF?

What is very noteworthy is his comment that 'there is only 15 blue-chip prospects in this draft'. That is why it is very unlikely the Packers trade back from their current position. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, R T said:

What is very noteworthy is his comment that 'there is only 15 blue-chip prospects in this draft'. That is why it is very unlikely the Packers trade back from their current position. 

Not sure Bucky Brooks' big board is the same as GBs

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Kincaid comes off to me as someone that is smallish on the field.  looks small, plays small.  I know he is listed height and weighed in pretty similar to some other TE, but that is my feel/look on him.  mice for round 2-3, but i'd have a hard time using round 1 pick on him

Completely disagree. The guy is violent fighting for yards. I get blocking isn't his specialty but he's serviceable to say the least.

27 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Look, you know my stance on Kincaid for GB.

But...there is a slight, ever so slight, possibility that the club values an in-line TE with an all around skillset as opposed to a big slot, receiving tight end.

That's why it isn't difficult to fathom how any TE helps you more than Kincaid in year one.  All around game, including in line blocking.  Add that to the fact the TE's take quite some time to get up to NFL speed, on the receiving game, and you will see more about how an in-line blocking TE could be perceived to help GB more than a receiving/slot TE.

I completely understand if they pass on him that high and they take someone like JSN, bpa defense or one of the elite tackles slide. If they take Mayer 15 overall that would be horrific value IMO. Kincaid brings elite trades you rarely see in a tight end which make him worthy of a first.  Mayer does not and is so top heavy when he runs and can't seperate.

Edited by PackFan13

38 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Kincaid comes off to me as someone that is smallish on the field.  looks small, plays small.  I know he is listed height and weighed in pretty similar to some other TE, but that is my feel/look on him.  mice for round 2-3, but i'd have a hard time using round 1 pick on him

He's a guy I liked early, but he isn't NFL ready by a longshot. You hope in year 3 he's a guy. So agree that's a late day 2 guy at best. He just can't even play 50% of the position right now.

3 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Speed on the other side of Watson to occupy both safeties for the run game.  It will open up some of the underneath stuff more as well.  But again, you might want a more complete WR who can do all the routes.  Hyatt isn't real big so he may not meet their WR "Threshold". 

Get one hand on the guy and he's done for the rest of the play. Not a fan of Hyatt

?? Is it beyond ludicrous to wonder if Gutekunst prioritizes offense in this draft to give Love as much of a conducive situation for success as he can, even though it means that the defense will be a sieve, give up alot of points, and lose alot of games??? I mean, they are at the start of a rebuild, which can take 2-3 good drafts minimum. I think 2023 is a losing season. There are 2 great QB prospects in the 2024 draft. So say they go 4-13 this coming season and end up picking #2 in the 2024 Draft. If Love showed enough promise during this trial season, then you trade down from #2 and collect ALOT of draft collateral for your rebuild. If Love does not pan out, then you're in a position to take one of those top QB prospects without having to give up valuable draft picks to move up. 

It may be ludicrous or it may be logical why Gute might go all in on offense in this draft at the expense of the defense. But I do wonder...

Edited by DWhitehurst

7 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Get one hand on the guy and he's done for the rest of the play. Not a fan of Hyatt

I dont know about done, but he certainly hasn't been pressed like he will be in the NFL.  I get your concerns, and they are valid.

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Exercise for y'all...

Rank your top 5 players in this draft that would help Love the most in 2022. And why.

My list:

(1) Michael Mayer. He would be a day 1 starter at our weakest position.

(2) JSN. He would be a day 1 contributor at slot. He's behind Mayer for me due to current roster depth. I think our staff is REALLY high on the Watson/Doubs duo, but JSN would step in immediately on slot snaps.

(3) Darnell Washington. Same reasoning as Mayer, but Washington won't offer the same receiving threat immediately as Mayer. I think Washington has some real ability here, but he's not as polished. But he's a day 1 starter/contributor at TE.

(4) Zay Flowers. I think long-term he's the second best value on this list behind only Wright below. He'd step in at slot immediately and add more juice to this offense. I think he's a tick behind JSN on day 1, however.

(5) Darnell Wright + Yosh Nijman trade. Wright is the best long-term value in this group, but I think the other 3 offer more of a day 1 improvement over their replacements. But I think the added value of trading Nijman boosts the value Wright would add by locking down the RT spot.

Now that I can actually post again, here's mine:

1. Peter Skoronski: In December I said if we went all in for one last year with Aaron, Skoronski helps us most. Bakh-Jenkins-Myers-Skoronski-Nijman is elite, the best past blocking OL in the NFL for sure. Tom first off the bench with JRJ and Newman still around for depth is crazy good.

2. JSN: Trusty slot receiver, should be open a ton with the threat of Watson on the outside.

3. Darnell Washington: Makes us potentially dynamic in 11 personnel. I've said all along Washington should be far and away TE1 on our board. Let's us tempo a defense while having a guy who could be looked at as TE1 and OL6 on the field at the same time. If we take TE in round 1, it should be Washington.

4. Zay Flowers: Wont happen, but Flowers, Watson, Doubs is a dynamic start to a WR group.

5. Dalton Kincaid: Don't love him at 15, but no question he helps the seam passing game.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I see a plodder as well.

You know I see that in Washington, too.  But here is the difference.  Once Washington gets 3 to 4 steps into a route (straight line), he gets some nice speed.  Mayer looks to be stuck in slow-mo mode the entire time.  

Yeah, I'm not counting on a whole lot of receiving production from Washington.  Meyer to me was a great college TE backed by a lot of hype.  I think he'll play a long time in the league, and be one of those middle of the road "He's still playing?" guys

• Like 1