Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

1 hour ago, PackFan13 said:

I love that people don't seem to understand the offense is formed around the players we have. You bring Kincaid in and think MLF isn't going to alter what position the TE was in the previous years? 

We have nothing at TE, Tonyan wasn't very good before the injury and certainly not after it. MLF would put Kincaid in different positions because he's way more talented and offers much more to the passing game. 

First off, be careful labeling guys on here are "not understanding" things. 

To me?  Kincaid?  He's Lazard.  That would be his role.  We had a lot of conversation here regarding Lazard being moved to a TE.  And it really doesn't matter.  Big slot would be his role.

If I have time, maybe I'll try to pull up the RAS site and put Lazard's stuff in as a TE and compare him to Kincaid.  Yah know, just for funsies.  

But yah, if he is picked for GB, whenever that could be, I see a very clear role for him as a Big Slot.  The only thing I don't know about Kincaid is just how willing he'd be doing that dirty work.  And to be fair?  I'd have that question for anyone playing that role.  It's more about attitude than pure ability (athletic traits).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, R T said:

I think it is safe to say that Gutes has a lot of faith in the people he is getting his intel from at Georgia, career staking level faith one could say. With that in mind we should probably be keeping an open mind to the Jalen Carter situation and if he dropped far enough would the Packers trade up for him.

Think of the Raider at the 7th pick, rumor this week is that they have Hooker as their number 3 QB may want to trade back rather than picking him in the top ten. With the extra second round pick from the Jets would Gutes be tempted to trade up for what most people had as the number one player in the draft? Carter, Clark and Wyatt across that DL front is a gamechanger. 

Coincidently the Raiders 7th overall pick and the Packers picks at 15 and 45 overall are an even match points wise. 

Unless Will Anderson is available, no.

34 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Nolan Smith is absolutely elite against the run though 

Numbers back that up...for college.  I don't question is "want to" in the run game for the NFL.  I do question if the size can hold up.

And in the end, is that a big deal?  Dude would be drafted to get after the QB, right?  We know Gary can rush inside, so there is certainly an open spot for him.

57 minutes ago, R T said:

I do wonder if the last three 1st round picks by Gutes weren't defensive players from Georgia if Nolan Smith would be getting as much play to the Packers as he is. 

Yes, because he's 22, an elite athlete and a premium position. The three biggest boxes to check on Gute's round 1 list.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Mazi Smith is a sleeper at 15. Planet theory. 

Just too high for me for a guy who may never be a serious pass rushing threat. Could develop in that department, but you draft IDL like Aaron Donald and Chris Jones at 15, not run stuffers, IMO. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Nolan Smith is absolutely elite against the run though 

So James Harrison was 6 feet and 240 pounds. Was his role on the Steelers way different than what would be asked of Nolan Smith in a Green Bay defense? Nolan Smith is taller and less thick than Harrison.

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes, because he's 22, an elite athlete and a premium position. The three biggest boxes to check on Gute's round 1 list.

I'll be honest, I just can't get myself that excited about Nolan Smith. I don't see the pass rusher traits for someone with his speed. I think Will McDonald is the better "undersized" rusher even though he's 2 years older. 

In either event, I'm not going with Smith over LVN or Murphy if the choice is there. 

• Like 1

Not advocating for him but I think another aspect of Nolan Smith's value is having a tool to help against the growing crop of Justin Fields. Bryce Young, Lamar Jackson types - even Daniel Jones had 700+ rushing yards last year.     Having a big(ger) body with sub 4.4 speed would be nice for tracking down the running QB's that Preston Smith, Rashan Gary and Kingsley Enagbare aren't keeping up with

• Like 3

Including Nick Guggemos, we have four tight ends on the roster.

Including Jeff Cotton, we have five wide receivers on the roster--none who were on the team at this time last year.

I am afraid that while the front office thinks they are "re-tooling" that the "rebuild" is actually upon them and they don't know it yet.

I'm going to be fine with trade downs for more picks.

Edited by Uffdaswede

12 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

Not advocating for him but I think another aspect of Nolan Smith's value is having a tool to help against the growing crop of Justin Fields. Bryce Young, Lamar Jackson types - even Daniel Jones had 700+ rushing yards last year.     Having a big(ger) body with sub 4.4 speed would be nice for tracking down the running QB's that Preston Smith, Rashan Gary and Kingsley Enagbare aren't keeping up with

This is evident in their tape vs Bama and Bryce Young. Good call.

I am not sold on Brian Branch.  At all.  I don't see what he offers that a team can't get later with Antonio Johnson, or even his teammate Jordan Battle.  The combine site has him as a 58th percentile athlete at safety, he is less than 200 pounds.  I see a good player that was on a defense that outclasses opponents 9/10 times.   I am not saying he is bad, but I don't get the early round buzz for him.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am not sold on Brian Branch.  At all.  I don't see what he offers that a team can't get later with Antonio Johnson, or even his teammate Jordan Battle.  The combine site has him as a 58th percentile athlete at safety, he is less than 200 pounds.  I see a good player that was on a defense that outclasses opponents 9/10 times.   I am not saying he is bad, but I don't get the early round buzz for him.  

Good breakdown here:

https://youtu.be/h9jNGRNMJLo

5 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I like this A to Z guy.  

But I am still seeing a guy that runs a 4.6 because he plays 4.6.  And at 190-195 pounds, that just isn't for me.

I think Branch is a super efficient athlete. He plays faster than his shorts measurements because of his brain. There's always a few exceptions each class where you have non-elite testing guys who play faster. I think Branch is definitely one of those. 

Guy is the surest tackler at DB in like a decade I think. His tackle numbers are off the charts. I like him a lot.

Simms has Branch as #3 on his list, sees him more as a nickel rather than a safety in many ways. Had both the Illinois kids as his top two. I would be happy with either one of those boys!!! Having said that I know Gute will select Branch!!!!