Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

10 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's really really hard for me to picture him fitting into an NFL locker room. 

"Hey guys, I'm Jalen and I intentionally raced a friend I knew was extremely drunk over 100mph. I was sober tho. My drunk friend died. I guess you could say my decision really let them down. Who's ready to trust me?"

I think if he gets past the Eagles, who have a real need at DT and both Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean (who was by all accounts the leader on that first UGA Natty Defense) in house, watch out.

Much OT motivation is based on the premise that Bakhti will be gone, so plan ahead.  I wonder if that premise is necessarily true? 

1. He was good last season during the games that he played.  Didn't seem washed, yet. 
  2. He's smart, and the Packers don't have a surplus of smart players.  
  3. Cap space will no longer be a strangle. 
  4. His dead cap will be $19M.    

Given the magnitude of his dead cap, is it possible that *IF* he remains effective this year, that it might make better sense to arrange an extension rather than swallowing $19M hit?  Keeping Love well protected on at least one side might be somewhat wise?  I realize re-signing old players is not the Packers way.  But I'm just wondering whether nature of his contract might push Gute in a different direction?  

Obviously he's only one side, so even if you extend him a successful OT pick could play RT.  Not sure how Gute feels about Tom, or Nijman, or Rasheed Walker.  All guys you want to upgrade?  Or might he think he's just fine there, between the three of them?  

1 hour ago, Leader said:

He was #8 in college and after 4 years there......he became #12 in the NFL :)

I asked this question on another Packers forum and someone said Longwell was still around when we drafted AR so the vet got to keep his number.

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I asked this question on another Packers forum and someone said Longwell was still around when we drafted AR so the vet got to keep his number.

I'm sure thats probably true.....I just made up my comment as a joke.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

People sleeping on Anton Harrison. Ol Mel Kiper had the Jets taking him at 13

I hadn't even looked at him, thanks for posting.

Dude does a lot really well.  Quick feet.  Saw him pick up a stunt, saw him do second level stuff, saw him block to someone else, then scrape to another....etc.

Really like the tenacity to finish blocks.  

One of the best things I saw was him pancake someone and then still have the athletic ability to hop over him.  That was impressive to me.

One little thing...he ducked his head a few times.  That's a no-no.  He recovered, but dropping a head like he did a few times is something to avoid, which can be coached out of him.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, craig said:

Much OT motivation is based on the premise that Bakhti will be gone, so plan ahead.  I wonder if that premise is necessarily true? 

1. He was good last season during the games that he played.  Didn't seem washed, yet. 
  2. He's smart, and the Packers don't have a surplus of smart players.  
  3. Cap space will no longer be a strangle. 
  4. His dead cap will be $19M.    

Given the magnitude of his dead cap, is it possible that *IF* he remains effective this year, that it might make better sense to arrange an extension rather than swallowing $19M hit?  Keeping Love well protected on at least one side might be somewhat wise?  I realize re-signing old players is not the Packers way.  But I'm just wondering whether nature of his contract might push Gute in a different direction?  

Obviously he's only one side, so even if you extend him a successful OT pick could play RT.  Not sure how Gute feels about Tom, or Nijman, or Rasheed Walker.  All guys you want to upgrade?  Or might he think he's just fine there, between the three of them?  

Per Ken Ingalls on twitter, the Packers are still $30M over the cap in 2024.

By far the largest savings opportunity Gute will have will be cutting Bakh. I'm not happy about the fact, but I think it's save to assume the Packers are cutting him after this year.

6 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I can run at least the length of a stage

I knew it was over for me as an athlete in my early 40's.  I was playing a pickup touch football game at a work picnic, and face planted with nobody around me while trying to "run" a go route.

EDIT: And now that I think about it, I pulled a hammy about 10 minutes later and had to quit.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

I knew it was over for me as an athlete in my early 40's.  I was playing a pickup touch football game at a work picnic, and face planted with nobody around me while trying to "run" a go route.

Mine was mid 30's.  Playing basketball at the gym.  Hit a 3 at the top of the key, backpedaled back on defense, tripped over the half court line.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Per Ken Ingalls on twitter, the Packers are still $30M over the cap in 2024.

By far the largest savings opportunity Gute will have will be cutting Bakh. I'm not happy about the fact, but I think it's save to assume the Packers are cutting him after this year.

Couple big assumptions in Ken's math here: (1) that Gary is going to have a $22m cap hit in 2024, where in reality, the Packers will probably structure it to be far less than that; and (2) that Love actually plays with a $20m hit for the 5th year option. Odds are an extension will be in place by then (assuming Love is decent in 2023), lowering his cap hit for 2024 dramatically. So that $42m or so he's factoring in will probably be more like $10m-$15m total for those two players in 2024.