Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

19 minutes ago, Striker said:

Oh, for sure. But at least we're in a bunch of ties record wise instead of being in the 14 slot with 1-2 more wins than all of those teams PLUS having a SOS issue.

GB SOS is not going to get better in terms of tie breaking for improved draft slot

GB has games vs 8 win MIA and 10 win MIN

pick   record SOS        
1 HOU 1 - 11 - 1 0.502 KC @TEN JAX @IND
2 DEN 3 - 10 0.482 ARI @LAR @KC LAC
3 CHI 3 - 10 0.573 PHI BUF @DET MIN
4 LAR 4 - 9 0.500 @GB DEN @LAC @SEA
5 NO 4 - 9 0.505 ATL @CLE @PHI CAR
6 ARI 4 - 8 0.511 @DEN TB @ATL @SF
7 IND 4 - 8 - 1 0.498 @MIN LAC @NYG HOU
8 LV 5 - 8 0.438 NE @PIT SF KC
9 CAR 5 - 8 0.448 PIT DET @TB @NO
10 ATL 5 - 8 0.450 @NO @BAL ARI TB
11 JAX 5 - 8 0.495 DAL @NYJ @HOU TEN
12 CLE 5 - 8 0.514 BAL NO @WSH @PIT
13 PIT 5 - 8 0.541 @CAR LV @BAL CLE
14 GB 5 - 8 0.562 LAR @MIA MIN DET

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

GB SOS is not going to get better in terms of tie breaking for improved draft slot

This.  We're going to be picking near the back of the teams with the same amount of wins as Green Bay.  Only Chicago has a better SOS than us that's currently slotted to pick before us.  And the only one that's even in striking distance is Pittsburgh, but they'd need a LOT to go in their favor for that to flip.

41 minutes ago, squire12 said:

GB has games vs 8 win MIA and 10 win MIN

pick   record SOS        
1 HOU 1 - 11 - 1 0.502 KC @TEN JAX @IND
2 DEN 3 - 10 0.482 ARI @LAR @KC LAC
3 CHI 3 - 10 0.573 PHI BUF @DET MIN
4 LAR 4 - 9 0.500 @GB DEN @LAC @SEA
5 NO 4 - 9 0.505 ATL @CLE @PHI CAR
6 ARI 4 - 8 0.511 @DEN TB @ATL @SF
7 IND 4 - 8 - 1 0.498 @MIN LAC @NYG HOU
8 LV 5 - 8 0.438 NE @PIT SF KC
9 CAR 5 - 8 0.448 PIT DET @TB @NO
10 ATL 5 - 8 0.450 @NO @BAL ARI TB
11 JAX 5 - 8 0.495 DAL @NYJ @HOU TEN
12 CLE 5 - 8 0.514 BAL NO @WSH @PIT
13 PIT 5 - 8 0.541 @CAR LV @BAL CLE
14 GB 5 - 8 0.562 LAR @MIA MIN DET

Right. Which is why it's nice that JAX and CAR picked up upset wins instead of having two more teams at 4-9 plus all the 5-8s.

8 hours ago, Malfatron said:

And maybe if that happens, we will accidentally find ourselves im the playoffs

I may be in the minority but I don't want this team as it is presently anywhere near the playoffs.  We are not a playoff caliber team right now and would be unceremoniously bounced out in short order in the WC round as the NFC #7 seed.  We need a couple more impact players before we have a chance of any success in the post season.

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

I may be in the minority but I don't want this team as it is presently anywhere near the playoffs.  We are not a playoff caliber team right now and would be unceremoniously bounced out in short order in the WC round as the NFC #7 seed.  We need a couple more impact players before we have a chance of any success in the post season.

I always want a chance, even if we have to get lucky 4 times

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Nfl is random. I definitely want a seat at the table

1 minute ago, Malfatron said:

I always want a chance, even if we have to get lucky 4 times

I know what you are saying.  I always want the Packers to win but as this team is right now I just don't see them doing much in the playoffs this year.  Get a couple more impact players this offseason and 2023 could be a lot of fun.

Changing topics just a little because I don't even want to say the P word...(think Jim Mora). Was decorating yesterday with the TV on the Cowboys game and the volume had been muted. The Texans looked pretty good and could have beaten the Cowboys. What struck my fancy was the Texans WR that always seemed to catch the ball for a 1st down and even got a TD that was contested. I thought to myself, that is the WR that Green Bay should draft. They did, the receiver was Amari Rodgers. 

So if that kid can do that after a couple weeks with a new team...why didn't the Packers see that or get that out of him in two years? Makes me think it's not the players but maybe the coaches.

29 minutes ago, Hands said:

Changing topics just a little because I don't even want to say the P word...(think Jim Mora). Was decorating yesterday with the TV on the Cowboys game and the volume had been muted. The Texans looked pretty good and could have beaten the Cowboys. What struck my fancy was the Texans WR that always seemed to catch the ball for a 1st down and even got a TD that was contested. I thought to myself, that is the WR that Green Bay should draft. They did, the receiver was Amari Rodgers. 

So if that kid can do that after a couple weeks with a new team...why didn't the Packers see that or get that out of him in two years? Makes me think it's not the players but maybe the coaches.

Aaron Rodgers.

MVS has 600 yards receiving this year as the third receiving option.
Adams hasn't slowed down.
ESB has matched his previous two seasons production in one.
Jimmy Graham, whom everyone said was washed and slow when he got here, had 3 more touchdowns the year he left us than he did in the two years with us.

Aaron Rodgers is the most restrictive thrower in NFL history.

Won't throw over the middle because he doesn't want to hurt his receivers (doesn't want to throw interceptions).

Won't throw in timing or rhythm because he doesn't trust his receivers.

Aaron Rodgers is the worst QB in the NFL at getting young receivers the confidence they need, and he's probably ruined more receivers and tight ends than he's helped develop.

I will say that after playing with Rodgers, receivers are better for it in the long run. They're either better for it or they never had it. But Rodgers is the Target Nazi.

Edited by Outpost31

2 hours ago, Hands said:

As you can see, this type of question can get you the tinfoil-hat responses, but I would hold my judgment on Amari until he can show any consistency. This is the same player who routinely showed up out of shape and has proven to lack the mental fortitude to avoid mistakes on the field during clutch moments.

Maybe he just needed to go to the worst team in the league to take the pressure off of him before he could succeed.

Lots of players suddenly have "it" after finding a new team. Our coaching staff has certainly found plenty of these types of players - street free agents who became quality starters once introduced to our scheme.

More research would have to be done before we start blaming the same coaching staff that has two raw rookies looking like future starters at WR this year.

4 hours ago, Hands said:

I'll put on my tin foil hat first, but my theory is that Amari's reps were mostly gobbled up by Cobb. The coaching staff had to play Cobb and sit Amari, so eventually they just had to play Amari as returner just to salvage some value out of him. Eventually all that position switching destroyed his development. At a certain point he just needed a change of scenery just to have a snowball's chance at turning his career around.

• Like 2

I don't even need a tinfoil hat.

I'm pretty much aligned with @Outpost31 on this one.  This is about Rodgers.  He demands a lot from young WR's.  Screw up and you aren't seeing the ball, but he will make you practice hard so that when your number is called (could be elsewhere) you will be prepared to deliver.

It has worked this way for ESB and MVS this year.  Now Amari has a nice game.  

Prior to that GMO didn't do much.  But James Jones was productive when he left.  Jordy was kindda productive.  Cobb had some okay years outside of GB.  

And I guess I always thought that Amari looked better at WR than he did KR.  Like his short area quickness showed up more.  I wished he had gotten a decent look on offense with us, but clearly we like the much taller WR's and Cobb was taking his "little guy" reps.

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't even need a tinfoil hat.

I'm pretty much aligned with @Outpost31 on this one.  This is about Rodgers.  He demands a lot from young WR's.  Screw up and you aren't seeing the ball, but he will make you practice hard so that when your number is called (could be elsewhere) you will be prepared to deliver.

It has worked this way for ESB and MVS this year.  Now Amari has a nice game.  

Prior to that GMO didn't do much.  But James Jones was productive when he left.  Jordy was kindda productive.  Cobb had some okay years outside of GB.  

And I guess I always thought that Amari looked better at WR than he did KR.  Like his short area quickness showed up more.  I wished he had gotten a decent look on offense with us, but clearly we like the much taller WR's and Cobb was taking his "little guy" reps.

Cobb had a career high in yards per reception and yards per target the year after he left Green Bay.

His final 4 years in Green Bay he had 6.4, 7.3, 7.1 and 6.3 yards per target. His first year in Dallas that went up to 10 yards.

That’s higher than “elite” Julian Edelman had any year of his career. By 1.9 yards.

Biggest reason why I get frustrated with people saying our receivers aren’t ****.

They’re significantly better than people think they are, they just have to play with Aaron Don’t Throw Rodgers.

• Like 1