Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Thank you for the video...I watched all it it.

My thoughts.

First take?  He does not have NFL speed.  That was from the first couple of plays.  Lumbering is putting it mildly.

Second take.  Wish there was some blocking cilps.

But...in some other clips...dude looks to have very good hands, agility and acceleration...and more speed.  He pulled away from a safety on an out on one of those plays.

I saw a lot of misdirection stuff that we love to run.

I came away feeling like he's a very good fit for our offense.  And his athletic ability will be underrated.  I'm not sure if he is a round 2 TE prospect, but I do like him.

Yeah I agree with this. To add, everything I've read online suggests he's like having a talented, extra OL in terms of blocking.

16 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Yeah I agree with this. To add, everything I've read online suggests he's like having a talented, extra OL in terms of blocking.

Watch those blocking cuts that were added to the thread.  He's like a combination of Deguara and Lewis rolled into one.

My only criticism of his feet is when he needs to block on the second level.  His feet are really slow out of the gates.  But man, the kid can block.  And looks to enjoy it.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Give him about 10 more pounds on that listed 195, and I am all in.  Was Jones under 200 when he was drafted? I do not recall.  I also think the timing is right to draft a RB.  

I've seen Spears listed anywhere from 194 to 204. Jones was listed at 208 during the process.

• Like 1

Just now, R T said:

At the Senior Bowl weigh ins, he came in at 205, I thought he was going to be smaller than that. It's a good thing for him. 

Yeah, I thought I saw that he added 10 lbs from his listed weight at Tulane. Just couldn't remember where I saw it. 

Even if he's just a CoP back, we have Dillon.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I thought I saw that he added 10 lbs from his listed weight at Tulane. Just couldn't remember where I saw it. 

Even if he's just a CoP back, we have Dillon.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I've seen Spears listed anywhere from 194 to 204. Jones was listed at 208 during the process.

204 is good enough for me.  

I do like a RB tandem or trio.  I think it saves them a beating, and it gives different looks on the field, if they are different types of runners.   I do think that Dillon and Williams have extended Jones' effectiveness because he only had to take half of the hits.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

204 is good enough for me.  

I do like a RB tandem or trio.  I think it saves them a beating, and it gives different looks on the field, if they are different types of runners.   I do think that Dillon and Williams have extended Jones' effectiveness because he only had to take half of the hits.  

Absolutely. I'd also say it's about time to start creating an exit strategy for Jones. I think we keep him two more seasons before we let him go.

46 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Absolutely. I'd also say it's about time to start creating an exit strategy for Jones. I think we keep him two more seasons before we let him go.

He is a heck of a player, and a great guy.  But I hate that contract.  He sports a 20 million cap hit this year.  If I were the boss, Jones is gone this year and we save 11 million.  I hate paying RBs, and I really hate having cap pushed out into years for RBs that aren't even on the team.  

Also, his current deal puts him on the team for two more seasons, at 20 and 16 against the cap respectively.  We also have void money for Jones in 25 and 26 already.  I am glad I don't have to deal with the cap.  And I suppose we can just keep kicking it down the road with Rodgers, Jones, Clark, and Bakh, and just eventually eat it all and have a full reset year.  

But back to topic, I really do like the mid round RB every few years.  The last one that I really liked was Kenneth Gainwell, and Spears looks to be a better version of that, assuming he can catch.