Thoughts on Starters... Midway point

Humble_Beast

how do you feel about the starters

Offense:

QB: DC- Has he had a great year? No. Made no sense to make no improvements to the OL with a QB who likes to sit in the pocket. Epic failure 

RB: Jacobs- having a career year in his contract year. Hopefully we bring him back on a 3-4 year deal. 

FB: Johnson- good add in free agency. A bull blocking in the run game. 

WR: Adams- he is an elite player. Questionable play calling has effected him at times. I still like brining him in. 

WR: Hollins- emerged in camp as a starter. He has been solid and had big moments. Nice pickup, might be a stopgap. Wish we had more a home run hitter in the WR unit. 

Slot: Renfrow- been a letdown. Just isn't seeing the targets with Adams on the team. Questionable contract with his current output. 

LT: Miller - he's a good LT, but has been getting burned more this year. I was hoping he would emerge as a ALL pro LT, but I think his ceiling is a good LT. Not bad 

LG: Parham: nice draft pick. Maybe the best interior rookie offensive lineman.

Center: James- might be time to move on. I wanted to like the guy, but he seems to whiff on too many blocks. Doesn't push anybody around. 

RG: Barr- an average/below average veteran. I think Good retirement was a curveball to the team. Simpson isn't an option and Cotton was al hype. We need to get a long term stud interior lineman at this spot

RT: Munford- this spot is still open. I think the team expected Parker to hold down this spot. I want Munford to be a steal, but that might be wishful thinking. 

Defense:

DE: Maxx- franchise cornerstone. Nice to watch Maxx play 

UT: Nicholes - has been a huge flop. He's the new Maliek Collins, a ghost out there 

NT: Billings/Farrell - Billings is a stopgap. Farrell is getting a shot with Hankins gone. Interested to see if Farrell can emerge

DE: Jones- Jones is paid elite, but isn't elite. He is a good pass rusher but is getting older. Would't be mad to add a young stud early in the draft. I think Ferrell leaves via free agency. 

OLB: Brown/Martinez - both guys are both likely stopgap veterans. I want to see how Brown finishes the season 

MLB: Perryman- pending free agent who is turning 30. I would pay him a 2 year contract, but I think he leaves. Probably wants one last payday 

OLB: Deablo- not really a hard hitter, but a good rangy LB. Solid young starter 

CB: Averett- I would like to add a more talented CB1. 

CB: Rock- he has been solid. I would give him a new deal 

Slot: Hobbs/Amik - they are solid as 3/4 corners 

FS: Moehrig- he's a solid young starter. I wish he would make a jump to be all pro but not sure if he has that ceiling.

SS: Abram/Harmon-  Abram sucks at coverage, and Harmon is a stopgap. I think Abram is gone for a rangy safety. Harmon is more like a 3rd safety on a good defense. 

K/P/LS: Carlson, Cole, Seig- a strength of the team. lol 

what are your thoughts on the team? what starters do you see gone at the midway point of the year. 

50 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Offense:

QB: DC- Has he had a great year? No. Made no sense to make no improvements to the OL with a QB who likes to sit in the pocket. Epic failure 

RB: Jacobs- having a career year in his contract year. Hopefully we bring him back on a 3-4 year deal. 

WR: Adams- he is an elite player. Questionable play calling has effected him at times. I still like brining him in. 

WR: Hollins- emerged in camp as a starter. He has been solid and had big moments. Nice pickup, might be a stopgap. Wish we had more a home run hitter in the WR unit. 

Slot: Renfrow- been a letdown. Just isn't seeing the targets with Adams on the team. Questionable contract with his current output. 

LT: Miller - he's a good LT, but has been getting burned more this year. I was hoping he would emerge as a ALL pro LT, but I think his ceiling is a good LT. Not bad 

Center: James- might be time to move on. I wanted to like the guy, but he seems to whiff on too many blocks. Doesn't push anybody around. 

RG: Barr- an average/below average veteran. I think Good retirement was a curveball to the team. Simpson isn't an option and Cotton was al hype. We need to get a long term stud interior lineman at this spot

RT: Munford- this spot is still open. I think the team expected Parker to hold down this spot. I want Munford to be a steal, but that might be wishful thinking. 

Defense:

UT: Nicholes - has been a huge flop. He's the new Maliek Collins, a ghost out there 

NT: Billings/Farrell - Billings is a stopgap. Farrell is getting a shot with Hankins gone. Interested to see if Farrell can emerge

DE: Jones- Jones is paid elite, but isn't elite. He is a good pass rusher but is getting older. Would't be mad to add a young stud early in the draft. I think Ferrell leaves via free agency. 

OLB: Brown/Martinez - both guys are both likely stopgap veterans. I want to see how Brown finishes the season 

MLB: Perryman- pending free agent who is turning 30. I would pay him a 2 year contract, but I think he leaves. Probably wants one last payday 

FS: Moehrig- he's a solid young starter. I wish he would make a jump to be all pro but not sure if he has that ceiling.

SS: Abram/Harmon-  Abram sucks at coverage, and Harmon is a stopgap. I think Abram is gone for a rangy safety. Harmon is more like a 3rd safety on a good defense. 

what are your thoughts on the team? what starters do you see gone at the midway point of the year. 

Hobbs is our CB1 and he is a franchise cornerstone. He’s versatile, strong in run support, and always around the ball.

It’s been widely discussed but our most disappointing player has been DC (even more than Waller and Jones). The team paid him like a Top 5-10 QB and invested heavily in pass catching weapons and he has not taken the next step. A lot of blame has bee. placed on the OL but they seem to be run blocking just fine. OL play is down across the entire league so it’s tough to expect zero pass rush at all times. 

17 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Hobbs is our CB1 and he is a franchise cornerstone. He’s versatile, strong in run support, and always around the ball.

It’s been widely discussed but our most disappointing player has been DC (even more than Waller and Jones). The team paid him like a Top 5-10 QB and invested heavily in pass catching weapons and he has not taken the next step. A lot of blame has bee. placed on the OL but they seem to be run blocking just fine. OL play is down across the entire league so it’s tough to expect zero pass rush at all times. 

What starters do you think need to be replaced next year?

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Offense:

Defense:

Deablo is not solid. One of those guys whose tackle numbers fool you. Awful in coverage and misses plenty of tackles. With how many times the offense has gone dead in the 2nd half the defense has been on the field more times than it should be and the tackle numbers look high.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 6:58 PM, Humble_Beast said:

What starters do you think need to be replaced next year?

The list of replacements is long. The only definitive starters that I would want back on defense are Crosby, Hobbs, Moehrig, Perryman, and Ya-Sin. I think Perryman and Ya-Sin are FA’s so if they leave they leave.  Everybody else would have to compete for a roster spot. 

On offense I would want Adams, Renfrow, Parham, Miller (possibly at RT), Jacobs, J. Johnson, and Hollins back. 

I’d look to rehab Walker’s stock these last 9 games and then trade him in the off-season. We are stuck with Chandler Jones so I would just use him as a situational pass rusher next year. 

On 11/6/2022 at 5:44 PM, Humble_Beast said:

Offense:

The only guys that should be safe on offense are Jacobs, Adams, Miller, and Parham. On defense I think only Hobbs and Crosby have shown enough to feel confident with them going forward. 

On 11/6/2022 at 9:09 PM, RaiderX said:

Deablo is not solid. One of those guys whose tackle numbers fool you. Awful in coverage and misses plenty of tackles. With how many times the offense has gone dead in the 2nd half the defense has been on the field more times than it should be and the tackle numbers look high.

He's like Whitehead, racks up tackle numbers chasing dudes down.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 1:44 AM, Humble_Beast said:

Quarterback - Carr started terribly against the Chargers and had an awful game against the Saints but looking at his overall body of work I don't think he's been bad per se. He's not matched up to expectations (not sure they were realistic TBH) but he is looking after the ball and if he can be a little more accurate and he can trust the Oline a bit I think things may start clicking. Stidham I just don't know if you'd trust him, he's probably a backup quality player at best who can come in for a drive or two but we simply don't know yet as we haven't really seen him in regular season action.

Runningback - I think it's fair to say, Josh Jacobs is having his best year. He seems more light on his feet and decisive this year and even with a poor Oline he's been excellent. Definitely been one of our top two players on offence. I thought we'd probably see more rotation and I'd like to see more White moving forward as I'm excited by his potential.

Wide Receiver - Devante Adams is as billed. Class. Renfrow withthe injury and fumbles game has been a bit of a let down so far but he may come back strong. Hollins is what he is, a decent #3 or #4 receiver who is being thrust into a #2 role and looks inconsistent. None of the others have really stood up.

Tight End - Foster Moreau has been good, Waller has been probably our biggest disappointment. Don't claim to know what's up with him but if he really isn't happy then ship his ungrateful backside straight out of town.

Oline - Oooof, what is there to say? Miller has been good IMO but the situation with OG and RT has been pretty dire. James at OC has been below average too. Parham offers a bit of hope as a future OG/OC. I always say we need 3 quality players and the other two can fill in. We might have Miller and Parham but we need at least one quality starter and possibly two which should be very achievable in the offseason. Munford has shown a little but at times he looks like a 7th round rookie........he'll take time.

Dline - Run defence has been a bright spot mostly and Crosby has been nothing short of superb. We just need someone, anyone, to step up in pass rush, Nicholls has been a bit underwhelming even though he's not a big-ticket FA we did expect more. I've always loved Chandler Jones as a player but he just looks weary out there and a yard short on every play. We desperately need a DT that can add some pass rush and a compliment for Crosby, doesn't have to be a star but just someone like Irvin was for Mack. The two rookie DTs haven't shown anything really but it is still really early. Two impact players will transform this defence IMO.

Linebackers - Overall I'm not unhappy with how they've performed. Perryman is a really solid player who lacks a little in coverage but he seems to lead and galvanise the team. Deablo has been a bit disappointing but Masterson looked OK the last couple games. I'm of the belief that the Dline is much more important and you can get away with average to decent players here anyway so wouldn't spend much cap here.

Cornerbacks - In fairness, we have been beset with injuries here. We all know Hobbs is a future star and I've been happy with how Ya Sin has played. Averette I did say after we signed him was not very good after watching him numerous times getting beat for the Ravens last year and he's proven so. Webb has some promise but we have two capable outside starters at least moving forward and one could be a star. We do need to add some depth here in FA and the draft.

Safety - Harmon has been a nice player, very cerebral and knows what to do and where to be. Abram was a one-dimensional player and won't miss him to be honest. Moehrig has been a letdown as I was hoping he'd take the next step after being solid as a rookie last year. I do find it hard to put much blame on the DBs when our pass rush is so anaemic though. We do need to add another player here in FA or draft that can cover.

Kicker/Punter - No issues here, both do their jobs and Carlson is excellent.

IMO we need to keep Josh, add two starting caliber OL on offense. Need a pass rush DT, and another edge with some juice, im fine with our LBs(would upgrade eventually but isnt top need), keep Ya-Sin, keep Hobbs at NB, add an outside CB, and grab a Safety. 

Thats 6 starters

2 OL, 2DL, 1 CB, 1 Safety, and bring back JJ, Perryman, and Ya-Sin. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

IMO we need to keep Josh, add two starting caliber OL on offense. Need a pass rush DT, and another edge with some juice, im fine with our LBs(would upgrade eventually but isnt top need), keep Ya-Sin, keep Hobbs at NB, add an outside CB, and grab a Safety. 

Thats 6 starters

2 OL, 2DL, 1 CB, 1 Safety, and bring back JJ, Perryman, and Ya-Sin. 

Unfortunately Josh Jacobs has probably out priced himself for us to be able to resign him.