Week 9 GDT: Colts @ Raiders

NYRaider

Who wins?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Raiders
    • Colts

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I thought we were top three but I also said the o-line scared me.  We had a QB to dependent on a good line so the weapons might not matter.  

Carr was pretty good last year and has been pretty good this year with a meh offensive line. It's hard to really judge the offense though when our core 4 guys have only played together for like 40 snaps this year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Carr was pretty good last year and has been pretty good this year with a meh offensive line. It's hard to really judge the offense though when our core 4 guys have only played together for like 40 snaps this year. 

Part of what scared me.  We had some injury risks, some questionable talent, to go with questionable depth.  If we had good dependable players we would not see this juggling of players.  I would argue Carr being good last year and being good this year.  He has been average relative to his standards when factoring in the bad o-line.  Carr's average is not good.  He is in that 12-15 range of QBs and he has not been able to finish games.  Not saying he is our biggest problem but he has been a problem at times.

8 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Part of what scared me.  We had some injury risks, some questionable talent, to go with questionable depth.  If we had good dependable players we would not see this juggling of players.  I would argue Carr being good last year and being good this year.  He has been average relative to his standards when factoring in the bad o-line.  Carr's average is not good.  He is in that 12-15 range of QBs and he has not been able to finish games.  Not saying he is our biggest problem but he has been a problem at times.

Main issue with Carr is that he's not very mobile and can't create something out of nothing when plays break down. 

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Your takes on Carr vary wildly from day to day and thread to thread. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Your takes on Carr vary wildly from day to day and thread to thread. 

How do they change? I've said that Carr is alright and obviously the situation hasn't been ideal. But he has struggled tremendously in clutch moments this year. I just speak facts. 

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Yea the modern nfl almost requires the qb to be willing to run more than once a game and extending plays is very necessary. 

Recent Super Bowl winning QBs begs to differ

Trent Dilfer
Tom Brady (however many times)
Brad Johnson
Big Ben
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Joe Flacco
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles
Matt Stafford
Pat Mahomes

Only like 4 of the last 22 SB winners are considered "mobile". Doesn't look like it requires much of anything except being a good passer which almost all of them are good at.

Being a good passer >> being a mobile QB - at least, according to those who QB Super Bowl winning teams

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

How do they change? I've said that Carr is alright and obviously the situation hasn't been ideal. But he has struggled tremendously in clutch moments this year. I just speak facts. 

Little lesson Ive learned in life, is when you hear the same thing from Mult people, stop defending yourself, and try to understand why so many people are saying the same thing. 
Is everyone out to get you or have many people noticed the same thing?

You constantly call Carr a bum, soft, loser, etc . . now youre saying he is alright.

25 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Big Ben
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Joe Flacco
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles
Matt Stafford
Pat Mahomes

Only like 4 of the last 22 SB winners are considered "mobile". Doesn't look like it requires much of anything except being a good passer which almost all of them are good at.

Being a good passer >> being a mobile QB - at least, according to those who QB Super Bowl winning teams

I would add that being a mobile QB is not so much a requirement as it is to be able to move around in the pocket. Pocket presence is most important, whether you are mobile or not. And I think that's part of the "Being a good passer" you state.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RaisinBran said:

I would add that being a mobile QB is not so much a requirement as it is to be able to move around in the pocket. Pocket presence is most important, whether you are mobile or not. And I think that's part of the "Being a good passer" you state.

No disagreement from me on that one. Brady is about as mobile as a baked potato but his pocket presence is unreal. These other guys just get caught up in the glitz and glamor that is a scrambling QB but are missing which qualities are actually more important.

42 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Big Ben
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Joe Flacco
Russell Wilson
Nick Foles
Matt Stafford
Pat Mahomes

You're looking back at a different era there too. The NFL is trending to more mobile QBs now. College is littered with them coming out of spread offenses. 

There are always going to be guys like Stafford. Guys you can win a Super Bowl with, but you won't win one because of them. That is where Carr falls on the spectrum. 

20 minutes ago, RaisinBran said:

Nailed this. The game is still won from the pocket. If your QB can evade pressure, keep his eyes down field and be willing to take a hit, you'll be successful. 

That's always been my knock on Carr. He curls up when pressured. Gets frantic and will run into sacks. He can be the opposite of poised at times.

28 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You're looking back at a different era there too. The NFL is trending to more mobile QBs now. College is littered with them coming out of spread offenses. 

There are always going to be guys like Stafford. Guys you can win a Super Bowl with, but you won't win one because of them. That is where Carr falls on the spectrum. 

Doesn't mean they're better though. The athletic type QBs have been around for quite some time but they're obviously not having the success passing QBs are and that's pretty undeniable. Even more, the QBs who are winning are great throwers of the ball week possess athletic traits. People who are more athletes than throwers aren't as successful. Basically impossible to argue but maybe you can