Week 11: San Francisco 49ers vs Arizona Cardinals

J-ALL-DAY

23 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

It worked out even better. I was too impatient as a spectator early on though. Glad the team flexed hard after the first quarter. 

We've won 3 games in a row. All 3 games the other team scored 1st. 

Think we all might need to relax a little on gameday lol. Tensions run high though, i get it. I was impatient too

6 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Steve Young right now after his comments regarding Jimmy G being the reason why Shanahan is conservative on offense...

tNe.gif

Well he ain't lying. One good game against a struggling Cards team doesn't erase all of the past subpar performances. And there are o' plenty. Let's not be prisoners of the moment and act like his caliber of play has resembled anything like last night, over the course of his Niners career. Good performance have been more of an outlier for Jimmy, not the norm. Hopefully he can sustained this good run of form though.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Well he ain't lying. One good game against a struggling Cards team doesn't erase all of the past subpar performances. And there are o' plenty. Let's not be prisoners of the moment and act like his caliber of play has resembled anything like last night, over the course of his Niners career. Good performance have been more of an outlier for Jimmy, not the norm. Hopefully he can sustained this good run of form though.

Quality players dominate bad teams though. He's had subpar performances. Yup. He's also had great performances like last night. "And there are o' plenty." It's not really being a prisoner of the moment being happy someone had a great game. Because where does the "waiting for the shoe to drop" mentality end? After 3 straight games with a 4 TD/0 INT performance? A 4 TD day in itself is an outlier for even a good QB. Jimmy hasn't had a completely terrible game in like two months mate. The Denver game. 

Well, Steve doesn't have to lie to be wrong. And as much as I love Steve, he hasn't played in 25 years, and isn't in that locker room day in, and day out. Same with Joe who seems to be the other way on Jimmy from what I gather. So is he wrong? Kyle is conservative by nature, and you can see that in his decision making in certain game situations irrespective of who his triggerman is. He has his faults like every other coach, and being overly conservative is one of them. There have been other coaches more brazen on offense with worse quarterback play, so personally the "QB is preventing Kyle from going the full distance" narrative is getting a bit stale. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Jimmy only completed one pass over 10 yards in the air. It was still the same Jimmy we have always seen. The OL was amazing and barely allowed any pressure and Shanny drew up some nice plays. Jimmy just needs to be great on 3rd downs and protect the ball, which he has been doing lately. I don't think that performance should have Young taking back his words. Shanny didn't call a super aggressive game or anything, we are just MUCH better than the Cardinals lol. 

• Like 2

Damn we're still out here crying about air yards and average depth of target lmao.

Funny-1097.gif

Derek Carr is 2nd in the NFL in air yards. Russell Wilson is I think maybe the top QB in ADOT. They're largely playing like **** this year. Meanwhile Herbert is near the bottom in ADOT. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jimmy only completed one pass over 10 yards in the air. It was still the same Jimmy we have always seen. The OL was amazing and barely allowed any pressure and Shanny drew up some nice plays. Jimmy just needs to be great on 3rd downs and protect the ball, which he has been doing lately. I don't think that performance should have Young taking back his words. Shanny didn't call a super aggressive game or anything, we are just MUCH better than the Cardinals lol. 

This is the biggest thing, I think. Jimmy G's biggest problem is dealing with pressure. Name the metric, he looks very very good when unpressured and hideous when under pressure (even compared to the loss of value most qbs have under pressure). So against teams without a pass rushing pulse, he'll have the offense looking like an absolute juggernaut. Just look at the Falcons game last year. I'm pretty impressed with Jimmy's return to form deeper down the field and outside the numbers. He's back to 2019 Jimmy on that front where he actually takes advantage of coverage busts out there enough of the time. But the pressure problem persists and matters if we are looking to beat the Eagles or Cowboys and win the Super Bowl against a quality AFC team. The NFC is pretty darn weak, but we'll need a Jimmy that can handle some pressure without turning into a pumpkin for those games in particular. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, JIllg said:

This is the biggest thing, I think. Jimmy G's biggest problem is dealing with pressure. Name the metric, he looks very very good when unpressured and hideous when under pressure (even compared to the loss of value most qbs have under pressure). So against teams without a pass rushing pulse, he'll have the offense looking like an absolute juggernaut. Just look at the Falcons game last year. I'm pretty impressed with Jimmy's return to form deeper down the field and outside the numbers. He's back to 2019 Jimmy on that front where he actually takes advantage of coverage busts out there enough of the time. But the pressure problem persists and matters if we are looking to beat the Eagles or Cowboys and win the Super Bowl against a quality AFC team. The NFC is pretty darn weak, but we'll need a Jimmy that can handle some pressure without turning into a pumpkin for those games in particular. 

Yep, like last night we played a terrible defense without its best corner and with NO pass rush at all. Still, it was mainly underneath stuff with our studs making plays after the catch. That does not prove Young's point wrong at all that Shanny is conservative because he does not trust Jimmy. I mean when did Shanny get aggressive last night anyways? Everything came easy after the first two drives. 

Anyways, back to the OL, it was dominant, especially the left side. Williams and Banks were just lights out and killing the Cards defenders in the run game. And they allowed no pressures giving Jimmy all day in the pocket. 

On to NO..........

A small sample size but no doubt his catching ability changed things for this offense. He's just so so so good and natural at catching the ball and it gives Jimmy a safety blanket. Not only that, he's amazing in pass protection and that is apparent whenever he is in the backfield blocking on 3rd down. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Forge said:

The chiefs probably would like a word 

For sure.. and after a couple drinks I am always much more optimistic than normal 😝

BUT I do really think if the OL holds up and Jimmy looks like that on 3rd downs, we should have no problem putting up points, so it comes down to the defense just stopping them a couple times. 

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

A small sample size but no doubt his catching ability changed things for this offense. He's just so so so good and natural at catching the ball and it gives Jimmy a safety blanket. Not only that, he's amazing in pass protection and that is apparent whenever he is in the backfield blocking on 3rd down. 

For sure.. I do hope the guys can stay unselfish and Pat Riley's disease of me doesn't kick in. We saw yesterday that it's possible for everyone to get involved but it won't happen every game.. Deebo especially 

Even though a lot of the receptions have been allowed in zone, but Ward has allowed 24 catches.....on 24 targets LOL. That is not good. He's been fine as he hasn't allowed anything big recently and has done a good job of cleaning up the underneath stuff, but I'm not convinced at all that Womack wouldn't be better in the slot and letting Ward go back to playing FS. Allow Ward to come up on money downs in the slot against TEs and certain receivers, but having him cover the full time slot WR just limits his skillset so much. Hate how this is not going to change the rest of the season. 

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Even though a lot of the receptions have been allowed in zone, but Ward has allowed 24 catches.....on 24 targets LOL. That is not good. He's been fine as he hasn't allowed anything big recently and has done a good job of cleaning up the underneath stuff, but I'm not convinced at all that Womack wouldn't be better in the slot and letting Ward go back to playing FS. Allow Ward to come up on money downs in the slot against TEs and certain receivers, but having him cover the full time slot WR just limits his skillset so much. Hate how this is not going to change the rest of the season. 

Womack is a dog, man. This isn't even about his "gimmie" pick last night, but his whole body of work since the pre-season shows a few things to me:

• He can be sticky in coverage
  • He has a nose for the ball
  • Loves tackling
  • Is the most athletic slot we've had in some time

He probably won't get a ton of playing time this, outside of an injury, but he should definitely be the favorite to win the slot job next year.

• Like 2

There is very little that differentiates this man and Lombardi.

I'm sure Trent Williams, arguably the best player in the league needed motivation to play well on Monday night against a divisional rival!!! As if Williams doesn't play great damn near every single week lol.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Damn we're still out here crying about air yards and average depth of target lmao.

Funny-1097.gif

Derek Carr is 2nd in the NFL in air yards. Russell Wilson is I think maybe the top QB in ADOT. They're largely playing like **** this year. Meanwhile Herbert is near the bottom in ADOT. 

I mean you basically said Young is feeling stupid about his comments when we saw the same exact Jimmy G that we always see and the team was not any more aggressive than it has been. So what does he need to be embarrassed about in his comments? 

Herbert has been check down Charlie all season and part of that is obviously with the injuries he has had in his WR group. Having a low aDOT is not the end all be all, but Jimmy completed mainly just easy passes close to the LOS. Some very good plays with the Kittle TD and Aiyuk's first TD as he went through his progressions before firing a nice ball. But this was mostly just a case of going up against a bad defense that generated ZERO pass rush. The underneath routes were open all day and our guys did what they do after the catch. That's not to say Jimmy is not playing good ball because he is, but there is nothing Young said that was proven wrong last night. 

• Like 1