ESPN playoff machine

SteelKing728

The ESPN Playoff simulator is either broken, or wrong.

I Just ran a week 17 & 18, to see who would get in for the NFC.

Washington loses to Browns, but beat Dallas. Finish 8-8-1

Giants lose to Colts & Philly. Finish 8-8-1

Packers win week 17 & 18 vs Lions. Finish 9-8

Lions win week 17 & lose week 18 vs Packers. Lions finish 8-9

Seattle loses to jets & win week 18. Seattle finishes 8-9

They had Packers as 6 seed & Giants as #7 seed.

Seems legit, right.

The machine would be wrong.

Why?

Because although the Giants & Commanders finished 8-8-1…? And Giants tied 1st matchup & won 2nd matchup?

Washington still has a better Divisional record.

Washington would be 2-3-1 (wins over Philly & Dallas)

Vs

Giants would be 1-4-1 (win over Washington)

How the hell, is the Giants listed as the 7th seed over Washington.

Go a head....try it.

That machine is wrong.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Seems legit, right.

Why?

Because although the Giants & Commanders finished 8-8-1…? And Giants tied 1st matchup & won 2nd matchup?

Vs

Go a head....try it.

That machine is wrong.

The head to head matchup is always the first tiebreaker,no matter what

Edited by Steelersfan43
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Seems legit, right.

Why?

Vs

Go a head....try it.

That machine is wrong.

Pretty simple, if 2 teams are tied first tiebreaker is always head to head

• Like 1

I think there is a scenario that all 4 NFC East teams make the playoffs, AND all 4 rest their starters in week 18.

Giants win week 17 v Colts, clinching a playoff spot. Eagles win week 17 v Saints, clinching the division and the #1 seed as they hold the head-to-head tiebreaker over the Vikings. This would also lock in the Cowboys to the 5 seed, regardless of what they do over the final 2 weeks. Commanders win week 17 v Browns, ensuring a worst case record of 8-8-1. Then, all the NFC wild card hopefuls need to lose. The Bears beat the Lions taking them to 7-9, the Jets beat the Seahawks taking them to 7-9, and the Vikings beat the Packers taking them to 7-9.

So: Giants (-250), Eagles (-267), Commanders (-125), Bears (+215), Jets (-120), and Vikings (+158). Only 2 underdogs in there right now.

If that all happens, the Eagles would be locked into the 1 seed, while the Cowboys, Giants, Commanders would be locked into the 5,6, 7 seeds respectively going into week 18 with no way that could change. It's actually not that crazy. Then those 4 teams all play each other in week 18, meaning you'd see NFC East JV.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I think there is a scenario that all 4 NFC East teams make the playoffs, AND all 4 rest their starters in week 18.

Giants win week 17 v Colts, clinching a playoff spot. Eagles win week 17 v Saints, clinching the division and the #1 seed as they hold the head-to-head tiebreaker over the Vikings. This would also lock in the Cowboys to the 5 seed, regardless of what they do over the final 2 weeks. Commanders win week 17 v Browns, ensuring a worst case record of 8-8-1. Then, all the NFC wild card hopefuls need to lose. The Bears beat the Lions taking them to 7-9, the Jets beat the Seahawks taking them to 7-9, and the Vikings beat the Packers taking them to 7-9.

So: Giants (-250), Eagles (-267), Commanders (-125), Bears (+215), Jets (-120), and Vikings (+158). Only 2 underdogs in there right now.

If that all happens, the Eagles would be locked into the 1 seed, while the Cowboys, Giants, Commanders would be locked into the 5,6, 7 seeds respectively going into week 18 with no way that could change. It's actually not that crazy. Then those 4 teams all play each other in week 18, meaning you'd see NFC East JV.

I’m praying that this scenario doesn’t happen. Go Saints!!! Let’s make Week 18 important heading into the playoffs. 

20 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

I’m praying that this scenario doesn’t happen. Go Saints!!! Let’s make Week 18 important heading into the playoffs. 

There will almost certainly be some degree of resting for at least some NFC East teams in week 18. If the Eagles win, they will almost certainly rest Hurts and maybe some others in the last week, and the Cowboys will almost certainly rest some players as well. If the Giants win, they will almost certainly rest Saquon, Dexter Lawrence, and a few others in week 18. 

Washington would need a lot to go their way to rest players in week 18, but for the Giants/Eagles/Cowboys, I'd probably expect it. The only case where you see all these teams go all out and both of these games be dog fights is if the Giants and Eagles lose and the Cowboys and Washington win. Then the NFC East division title is on the line in the final week, as well as wild card spots.

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

There will almost certainly be some degree of resting for at least some NFC East teams in week 18. If the Eagles win, they will almost certainly rest Hurts and maybe some others in the last week, and the Cowboys will almost certainly rest some players as well. If the Giants win, they will almost certainly rest Saquon, Dexter Lawrence, and a few others in week 18. 

Washington would need a lot to go their way to rest players in week 18, but for the Giants/Eagles/Cowboys, I'd probably expect it. The only case where you see all these teams go all out and both of these games be dog fights is if the Giants and Eagles lose and the Cowboys and Washington win. Then the NFC East division title is on the line in the final week, as well as wild card spots.

I’m fully aware of what you explained. That’s why I said go Saints!!! I specifically want the last week to mean something to Philly and Dallas. I don’t see the Giants letting both games slip away so I think they’re locked in. I’d prefer the Packers take the 7 seed over the other teams. I was pulling for the Lions but after that no show last week, they don’t deserve it. 

• Like 1

I’m not going to bother doing playoff predictions, as I believe that predicting more than one round at a time is kind of pointless. 

But here is how I think the seeding will go down. 

NFC

1) Bills (14-3-0)

2) Chiefs (14-3-0)

3) Bengals (12-5-0)

4) Jaguars (9-8-0)

5) Chargers (11-6-0)

6) Ravens (10-7-0)

7) Steelers (9-8-0)

NFC 

1) Eagles (14-3-0)

2) 49ers (13-4-0)

3) Vikings (13-4-0)