Aaron Rodgers contract - An analysis

Packer_ESP

33 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Well, when you are the 4X MVP and reigning 2X MVP, one could argue the only place to go is down.

Throw in the thumb injury and he was bound to have a "down" year.

I'll say this....he more or less screwed over himself and the team when he didn't show up to to Optional Team Activities.  (Right @Laces Out ?"  Heh Heh Heh.  

But, he also screwed himself with training in the off-season.  I don't know how he trained, or even if he really trained.  But his feet are slower now then they've been for the past few seasons.

If Rodgers heals up the thumb and trains those feet (core/legs), I have little doubt that he can be elite again in this offense.  But really, it is up to Aaron and just how much he wants to dedicate himself to the team...  and not to chasing his next contract.

If he's serious about being all in and coming back he also should do what he can with his contract to help get into a position where they can actually spend to help bolster the roster.  Not sure, but I'm guessing 12's contract is one of the most restrictive in football.

Frenchy is begging for a Rodg return.  The best thing for the team is to work with him to find him a new home for the tail end of his career and gain a little comp to start a quick rebuild with while eating his cap now, but the fits are few and it's just not going to happen.  It will be an interesting and busy off season.

41 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If he's serious about being all in and coming back he also should do what he can with his contract to help get into a position where they can actually spend to help bolster the roster.  Not sure, but I'm guessing 12's contract is one of the most restrictive in football.

He's never done that before, why would he start now?

You all know I sit the fence on Rodgers.  I both love and hate him, both kind of equally.

And if I'm being fair to him, he's always wanted his money...and now he wanted control with his last deal.  And he got it.

No way is he giving back that control, it is just not something that he has ever done.

It isn't totally about winning to him.  It was also about money.  And with this last deal...it was even more about the money.

If this team is going to get better, it will be because Rodgers wills it to be so with his off-season conditioning program, which should include being at OTA's and working a lot with those young WR's.  

7 hours ago, Sandy said:

I see SF as the second most likely trade destination, after LV, should he be traded. And I think it's a coin flip whether he gets traded or not.

If he asks for out, Rodgers would have to approve of where he goes (or publicly threaten retirement) and I see those as the only two teams he'd be interested in finishing his career with.

Jimmy G is a free agent after this season, so he has no control on if SF wants him back or not 

The control Jimmy had was a no trade clause and escalators for games played this season. Him being there after Lance went down essentially saved their season even after they had been trying to push him out. Purdy now being serviceable is another stroke of QB luck for them but I think eventually the music stops playing. Jimmy will get a shot somewhere next year and if it’s in SF, they will have to pay up. 

As for Rodgers, it is possible he goes but I didn’t buy it that he would get traded with all of the drama last few off seasons and still don’t based on the contract he put together that makes it very difficult to move on. He is clearly in his final years but also has not lost his ability to play ball. I’m ready to move on but the way the money plays out, we are a severely capped team if we’re paying him all that dead money not to play for us. 

Edited by Refugee

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Well, when you are the 4X MVP and reigning 2X MVP, one could argue the only place to go is down.

Throw in the thumb injury and he was bound to have a "down" year.

I'll say this....he more or less screwed over himself and the team when he didn't show up to to Optional Team Activities.  (Right @Laces Out ?"  Heh Heh Heh.  

But, he also screwed himself with training in the off-season.  I don't know how he trained, or even if he really trained.  But his feet are slower now then they've been for the past few seasons.

If Rodgers heals up the thumb and trains those feet (core/legs), I have little doubt that he can be elite again in this offense.  But really, it is up to Aaron and just how much he wants to dedicate himself to the team...  and not to chasing his next contract.

It would be nice if he spent more time with the rookies and new players this offseason going over the sacred, never to be written down, hand signals for route adjustments, ect.  I think this alone would help tremendously for next year getting everyone on the same page so the offense runs more efficiently and the way Rodgers wants it to run.  The receivers are progressing, but it really would help get them to the next level sooner.

If the Packers do want to move on from Rodgers, all they have to say is the word "rebuild".  He doesn't want to be part of a rebuild.  I don't think we are anywhere close to that (except for some coaches), but it could always be used an an excuse.

Again...fun offseason for Gute.  Tough decisions on several fronts.

29 minutes ago, minnypackerfan said:

It would be nice if he spent more time with the rookies and new players this offseason going over the sacred, never to be written down, hand signals for route adjustments, ect.  I think this alone would help tremendously for next year getting everyone on the same page so the offense runs more efficiently and the way Rodgers wants it to run.  The receivers are progressing, but it really would help get them to the next level sooner.

If the Packers do want to move on from Rodgers, all they have to say is the word "rebuild".  He doesn't want to be part of a rebuild.  I don't think we are anywhere close to that (except for some coaches), but it could always be used an an excuse.

Again...fun offseason for Gute.  Tough decisions on several fronts.

Yeah.  I'd like to see him really work with Doubs, Toure and Watson this off-season.  See if he can find another fountain of youth with them.  Because they are talented.

But...he won't.  He hasn't in a long time.  I don't think that is really in him anymore.  

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Well, he kinda already has. For whatever team has him in 2023, that team takes a $15M cap hit even though Rodgers is getting paid $59M. The Packers just owe another $13M in signing bonus and $3M in previous restructures, making that cap hit $31M.

Rodgers contract is not truly restrictive until 2025 or so, when Rodgers cap hit balloons up to $59M. His contract is also really restrictive when he retires, since the bonus money will become a massive dead cap loss to a team with no QB.

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

The control Jimmy had was a no trade clause and escalators for games played this season. Him being there after Lance went down essentially saved their season even after they had been trying to push him out. Purdy now being serviceable is another stroke of QB luck for them but I think eventually the music stops playing. Jimmy will get a shot somewhere next year and if it’s in SF, they will have to pay up. 

As for Rodgers, it is possible he goes but I didn’t buy it that he would get traded with all of the drama last few off seasons and still don’t based on the contract he put together that makes it very difficult to move on. He is clearly in his final years but also has not lost his ability to play ball. I’m ready to move on but the way the money plays out, we are a severely capped team if we’re paying him all that dead money not to play for us. 

Oh yeah Jimmy is starting somewhere next year for sure. I just don't know if it's SF - if they don't get Rodgers or Brady then I think they'll roll with Lance and Purdy. Then again, they could trade Lance and sign Jimmy to a 3 year deal and make me look like a fool.

That second paragraph is the tricky part. Every year we keep Rodgers, the year he leaves has a bigger dead cap hit. It's not so much about if we want to stomach a $40m dead hit next year..it's if we want to handle a $68m dead cap hit the following season while Love is on his 5th year.

36 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Well, he kinda already has. For whatever team has him in 2023, that team takes a $15M cap hit even though Rodgers is getting paid $59M. The Packers just owe another $13M in signing bonus and $3M in previous restructures, making that cap hit $31M.

Rodgers contract is not truly restrictive until 2025 or so, when Rodgers cap hit balloons up to $59M. His contract is also really restrictive when he retires, since the bonus money will become a massive dead cap loss to a team with no QB.

Exactly right. His contract makes his cap hit almost unfathomably low considering his income. And excruciatingly painful when he retires.

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

While I'm full onboard the Love train next year, let's take a minute to acknowledge this man is the GOAT. Just plain silly arm talent that outside of Mahomes, we may never see again. It's like a bionic arm, the torque he can generate at angles that aren't meant to throw from, just one in a million.

I suspect we won't see Love aa our starter until the 2024 season unless Rodgers is traded or retires - and I don't see either happening this offseason.

31 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

While I'm full onboard the Love train next year, let's take a minute to acknowledge this man is the GOAT. Just plain silly arm talent that outside of Mahomes, we may never see again. It's like a bionic arm, the torque he can generate at angles that aren't meant to throw from, just one in a million.

My dad and I were like "wow" after that throw.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't disagree at all.

Am asking this....  I've seen him throw more balls, and deeper balls this year with more of a "shot put" type release that starts at his hip and then he kindda flips the ball out there.

You see this too?  And if so....why?  Thumb thing?  Or is that how he's gonna throw longer stuff now?  It's odd for me to see him try those throws with such an odd throwing motion.

And maybe "shot put" isn't the right way to describe that motion.  I don't know what else to call it besides maybe a hip flip.

Edited by vegas492
shot put?