CB Talk

MOSteelers56

2 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

What are the knocks on Christian Gonzalez? Everything about him including size, length, speed, athleticism, comfortable in press man and zone coverage assignments seems to point to him as the #1 corner. Is Witherspoon that much better in coverage ability that he overcomes the size difference with Gonzalez?

Splitting hairs kinda. Witherspoon is more physical and violent. He is more aggressive attacking in all facets. 

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Splitting hairs kinda. Witherspoon is more physical and violent. He is more aggressive attacking in all facets. 

Agreed, who would not want this out of a CB?  Dude has some crazy impressive individual plays and has great ball skills combined with obvious tackling ability.  

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Agreed, who would not want this out of a CB?  Dude has some crazy impressive individual plays and has great ball skills combined with obvious tackling ability.  

Yea I don't understand how I've seen him falling in mocks. Because he hasn't worked out yet? He'll get his work out soon. Witherspoon and Gonzalez is just your preference of ice cream, can't go wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

Yea I don't understand how I've seen him falling in mocks. Because he hasn't worked out yet? He'll get his work out soon. Witherspoon and Gonzalez is just your preference of ice cream, can't go wrong.

Sure that raises questions him not workout out, same is happening to Myles Murphy but I heard Witherspoon was going to workout April 5th or so.  Dude is legit on the field but sure might be nursing something physically or waiting on something, even if he runs a 4.5 40 dude can still play, has great awareness, ball skills and toughness.  

Agreed Witherspoon and Gonzalez are by far the best two CBs in a deep CB class.  The difference between say Gonzalez/Witherspoon and Porter/Banks/Ringo/Phillips/Johnson is kind of a lot.  Porter no way has the mobility, reaction time or quickness in terms of ball reactions as Witherspoon and Gonzalez do.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

What about Deonte Banks? Size, speed, athleticism, and good coverage skills coming into the league.

Yeah I think he’s good, and has all the tools, but he’s not exactly refined yet. Not a first round pick, for me. I think he lacks a bit of discipline covering, and a good route running WR is going to shake him. Also not a ball hawk at all. But has all the athleticism and speed, definitely. 

not seen a great deal of him though, caveat. 

Edited by Hunter2_1

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah I think he’s good, and has all the tools, but he’s not exactly refined yet. Not a first round pick, for me. I think he lacks a bit of discipline covering, and a good route running WR is going to shake him. Also not a ball hawk at all. But has all the athleticism and speed, definitely. 

not seen a great deal of him though, caveat. 

I think he is athletic but has zero ball skills.  No way I would take him in the 1st round but YMMV

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think he is athletic but has zero ball skills.  No way I would take him in the 1st round but YMMV

His ball skills need work and he is a bit of a late bloomer, has not really played really well till this season which is honestly his only full season as a starter.  But watch that backpedal, that is crazy fast, plus the dude is physically very strong for a corner, ran extremely well and his mirror ability is standout.  

Ball awareness has to improve but his ability to shadow a WR is pretty damn solid, I would be very surprised if he is not a 1st round pick based on that athletic ability and speed in his backpedal.  

6 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

This is more important in the 90’s but not now. Witherspoon may be more violent but Gonzalez is very physical. Gonzalez is the better cover corner and a better athlete. 

42 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

His ball skills need work and he is a bit of a late bloomer, has not really played really well till this season which is honestly his only full season as a starter.  But watch that backpedal, that is crazy fast, plus the dude is physically very strong for a corner, ran extremely well and his mirror ability is standout.  

Ball awareness has to improve but his ability to shadow a WR is pretty damn solid, I would be very surprised if he is not a 1st round pick based on that athletic ability and speed in his backpedal.  

If you do not have ball skills in college, you are not going to develop them as a pro.  He will be an athletic CB with no ball skills.  If a team does not mind a CB that does not get many/any interceptions then he is your man.  YMMV.

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Great Top 3 CB corner class, all Top 15 prospects for sure IMO. Great corner class in general actually. 

Gonzalez is my clear #1 but here’s how I rank all 3:

1) Gonzalez

2) Porter

3) Witherspoon

I’d be happy with any of the three though. 

Biggest problem I have with Porter is he is grabby.  Really grabby.  Perhaps with coaching he will learn better technique.  I have him as the #3 CB.

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Biggest problem I have with Porter is he is grabby.  Really grabby.  Perhaps with coaching he will learn better technique.  I have him as the #3 CB.

Porter was left on islands in man coverage over and over and in way more tough competition than Gonzalez or Witherspoon, and he did quite well. He also just has that dog in him that doesn’t give up on plays. 

I like all three guys. Gonzalez is worthy of a Top 6-8 pick easily. I think Witherspoon and Porter are deserving of Top 15 picks quite easily as well. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

If you do not have ball skills in college, you are not going to develop them as a pro.  He will be an athletic CB with no ball skills.  If a team does not mind a CB that does not get many/any interceptions then he is your man.  YMMV.

Tariq Woolen never had as many INTs in college that he did as a rookie in the NFL.  Granted he was a WR in college transitioning to CB but those two years at CB not much.  Banks is just as raw at the position because he has so few actual starts compared to many top CBs arguably.  

Jalen Ramsey is another one, I recall people ripped on his lack of production in terms of getting INTs, now look at the guy.  It is harder to cover well than get a INT in my opinion.  INTs can be based on many things, good coverage is good coverage.  

1 minute ago, Dash said:

Would be bold to if a team tried to get both Witherspoon and Gonzalez and let them cornerstone their defense. 

No team could do it, would have to have two picks in the top 15 if not top 10 and no team has that.