CB Talk

MOSteelers56

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so Devon Witherspoon is now my #1 CB. Finally did some deep diving into him. Holy cow is he good. He has elite instincts, toughness, tackling, hitting, ball skills...the dude is always in perfect position to make plays on the football. My one critique with him is that he gets a little grabby at times, but aside from that, I'm not so sure he's any worse than Sauce Gardner as a prospect. I have watched Illinois play live, but never sat down & watched Witherspoon-specific tape. He has leapfrogged Christian Gonzales for me, who I previously thought was locked in at #1. I now see why he's being mocked in the top 10.

I truly believe this is a once-in-a-lifetime CB class. There are an insane amount of dudes I have starter grades on.

• Like 4

The Lions are primed to take their favorite CB in the class at 6; need will match value there, I think. The only question to me is if it is Gonzalez or Witherspoon. Gonzalez I think will be consensus CB1 come draft time, but Witherspoon feels more like a Dan Campbell guy to me, and he should be a close #2.

24 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The Lions are primed to take their favorite CB in the class at 6; need will match value there, I think. The only question to me is if it is Gonzalez or Witherspoon. Gonzalez I think will be consensus CB1 come draft time, but Witherspoon feels more like a Dan Campbell guy to me, and he should be a close #2.

I think Gonzalez will go nuts at the combine

1 minute ago, Scoundrel said:

Ringo is probably straight line faster plus he’s bigger. I think agility wise and Vert though Gonzalez scores better

I didn't realize how impressive Gonzalez was as an athlete.

I think Ringo comes out as one of the big winners of the combine, regardless of position. He is going to test extremely well. I'm not comparing these 2 for any particular reason, btw.

• Like 1

Just now, minutemancl said:

I didn't realize how impressive Gonzalez was as an athlete.

I think Ringo comes out as one of the big winners of the combine, regardless of position. He is going to test extremely well. I'm not comparing these 2 for any particular reason, btw.

Ringo will perform great. Gonzalez is more agile though and much smoother in my tape evaluation. (Also I am a DAWG fan so have seen quite a bit of Ringo)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Ringo will perform great. Gonzalez is more agile though and much smoother in my tape evaluation. (Also I am a DAWG fan so have seen quite a bit of Ringo)

Yeah, testing isn't a question for Ringo. My question marks are his grabbiness and lateral ability with super sloppy man/press man technique. His testing isn't one of those things. From a length to speed/size standpoint, he's a Madden Create A Player. His technique and lateral ability are major issues that perhaps can be taught and perhaps can't be...or maybe if they're "dealbreakers" as a corner he can transition to FS because he's a super willing tackler with good ball skills and won't be asked to do as much laterally.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, testing isn't a question for Ringo. My question marks are his grabbiness and lateral ability with super sloppy man/press man technique. His testing isn't one of those things. From a length to speed/size standpoint, he's a Madden Create A Player. His technique and lateral ability are major issues that perhaps can be taught and perhaps can't be...or maybe if they're "dealbreakers" as a corner he can transition to FS because he's a super willing tackler with good ball skills and won't be asked to do as much laterally.

Safety or a predominately Cover 3 Corner. Man against shifty receivers like Stefon Diggs just for example will give him trouble. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scoundrel said:

Safety or a predominately Cover 3 Corner. Man against shifty receivers like Stefon Diggs just for example will give him trouble. 

Yeah, perhaps Cover 3, albeit I still think if he goes that route, you're taking away his best football traits, which are his physicality as a tackler and his ball skills. Right now his eye discipline isn't good enough for zone IMO.

He's basically the opposite of a guy like Martin Emerson, who was a heavy zone guy in college with massive length who had next to no ball skills in college, but he's good at keeping things in front with success solely outside the hashes and numbers.

JMHO

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Ringo is Caleb Farley without injury concerns, and Caleb Farley went 22 overall without actually running at the combine.

Ringo will, without a doubt, be the big winner at the combine in his position group.

• Like 2