CB Talk

MOSteelers56

Christian Gonzales is pretty firmly CB1 for me. Witherspoon hype seems a bit wild to me. He’s simply solid in all areas, but not a spectacular enough athlete to be CB1. I would be honestly surprised if he went R1. I don’t think he’s gonna suck, but there are several awesome CB prospects in the R1 range. He will get pushed down the boards as a result, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 8:43 AM, battle2heaven said:

Seems like we are going to have 6cbs going in the 1st, potentially more?

How does everyone have them ranked between

Christian Gonzalez

Kelee Ringo

Joey Porter Jr

Clark Phillips III

Cam Smith

Devon Witherspoon

I guess I've seen Deonte Banks and Emmanuel Forbes with late first buzz too. Pretty nice year to need a CB.

For me it’s:

Witherspoon

Phillips/Cam Smith (still deciding)

Gonzalez

Ringo

Porter

Really I love any of those top 4 though. So feisty. Combine testing might help me decipher that group further.

On 1/25/2023 at 10:24 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

Christian Gonzales is pretty firmly CB1 for me. Witherspoon hype seems a bit wild to me. He’s simply solid in all areas, but not a spectacular enough athlete to be CB1. I would be honestly surprised if he went R1. I don’t think he’s gonna suck, but there are several awesome CB prospects in the R1 range. He will get pushed down the boards as a result, in my opinion. 

There are gonna be so many round 1 CBs this year. 

4 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Can anyone tell me if MAX MELTON declared? He’s a RS Soph from Rutgers. He is going to be a high end starter methinks. Can’t literally find anything on if he’s returning or declaring. 

I had read he was in. Good player. Was a fan of his brother last draft.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 4:26 AM, BetterCallSaul said:

Can anyone tell me if MAX MELTON declared? He’s a RS Soph from Rutgers. He is going to be a high end starter methinks. Can’t literally find anything on if he’s returning or declaring. 

Drive by shooting with paintball gun makes me think however good his grade is, it's going to be lower. He seemed to show remorse for it and it's a paintball gun, but that seems like a pretty big flag given some recent DBs.

4 hours ago, Trojan said:

Drive by shooting with paintball gun makes me think however good his grade is, it's going to be lower. He seemed to show remorse for it and it's a paintball gun, but that seems like a pretty big flag given some recent DBs.

I mean yeah, that’s pretty stupid. His talent is as real as it gets, but what a dipstick. Didn’t know about any off-field stuff for him. 

Kelee Ringo is going to be the 3rd CB drafted after the combine. He played well enough at a big school that that, combined with his insane workout numbers, will get him taken right after Witherspoon and Gonzalez. I can even see a world where he gets taken 1st, before both of those guys.

Corner is a position where a lot of defensive coaches have a similar philosophy- give me a big guy with long arms who can run and I can give you a good corner.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Kelee Ringo is going to be the 3rd CB drafted after the combine. He played well enough at a big school that that, combined with his insane workout numbers, will get him taken right after Witherspoon and Gonzalez. I can even see a world where he gets taken 1st, before both of those guys.

Corner is a position where a lot of defensive coaches have a similar philosophy- give me a big guy with long arms who can run and I can give you a good corner.

I saw someone mock him in the third round the other day.  Pendulum is swinging way too far on him.  I still have him as CB1 myself, but I haven't scouted Witherspoon in depth yet.  He's not as clean as Gonzalez, but he's also a physical monster, and I think he's more polished than people give him credit for.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 2:24 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

Daniel Jeremiah has him as his 5th best prospect right now.