CB Talk

MOSteelers56

35 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Speaking of Michigan, Will Johnson is a potential super star corner, his quickness to the ball and closing speed is absolutely elite and his size is outstanding.  Dude should be a potential 1st round pick in 2025.  

Agreed, he has made amazing strides over the course of this season. It's so good knowing that Michigan is coming back next year with their QB, a star RB (maybe both), and a star CB.

34 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Agreed, he has made amazing strides over the course of this season. It's so good knowing that Michigan is coming back next year with their QB, a star RB (maybe both), and a star CB.

And a star ILB in Colson and a potential star TE in Loveland.  The loss of Oluwatimi, Hayes and possibly Keegan along with Morris, Mazi Smith and DJ Turner will be a big loss though.  Still that team has been wildly impressive this year especially considering what they lost last year in Hutchinson, Daxton Hill, Ojabo and Haskins but they have obviously had a great year and will see if they can finish strong.  Should be able to easily beat TCU but we will see.  Okie has done well for them on the edge when others have been hurt, I assume he declares for the draft because he has been around forever and bounced around never really doing anything but has finally found a bit of success.  Could of course use another year to develop though but is pretty old.

But yeah Will Johnson has crazy potential for a corner and has been a big part of that defenses success because without him that other CB spot is an issue.  

7 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Good player 

3 hours ago, Superduperman said:

I watched him pretty close when they played Michigan a few weeks ago and just from his body language he seemed to have that alpha dog in him. He played good, too. Admittedly, Michigan doesn't have tremendous WR talent so maybe that's not the very best example, but he played well against the run too and seemed tough.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I agree, he does have some great body language and is a super confident player.  Very active, agile and has good ball reaction time, really broke out this season and is one of the better corners in the up coming draft.  I really like Martin on that Illinois defense as well, he could play CB or S and is a great tackler.  

Speaking of Michigan, Will Johnson is a potential super star corner, his quickness to the ball and closing speed is absolutely elite and his size is outstanding.  Dude should be a potential 1st round pick in 2025.  

So where do you guys rank him among the CB's you have looked at, so far? CB3? CB5? CB8?

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, General Tso said:

Ringo got cooked by NFL talented receivers from OSU. Not the end of the world though, AJ Terrell also got cooked by Jamar Chase and Justin Jefferson but he's doing well now.

Ringo is all projection. He's a massive ball of the best kind of clay one can get. His technique isn't great. I'm not down on him, just think he'll need to go to a team with a good DB coach. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Ringo is all projection. He's a massive ball of the best kind of clay one can get. His technique isn't great. I'm not down on him, just think he'll need to go to a team with a good DB coach. 

Pretty much, but boy has he flashed some outright dominance. He shut down Jaylin Hyatt and pulled in an INT.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Ringo's best position is safety.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 9:40 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

Mind you Georgia was down in that game and clearly Georgia was not very experienced in that one.  Changed how they played D a bit, not to mention CJ Stroud all of a sudden willing to run and move, 12 rush attempts by far the most he had all season long so that also caught them off guard big time.  Not having Nolan Smith their best pass rusher for most of the year hurts as well.

Ringo is a RS SOPH, sure he had a rough game in that one but so did that entire secondary.  He is their best CB and was last year also.  Sure Gonzalez might be better than him but hard to tell because both are pretty young.  

Also Eli Ricks declared after having a pretty so so season for Alabama, super disappointing year really considering he was the top CB prospect coming into the year and was benched more than once this season.  Has length and ok coverage ability but not sure declaring was a great idea, I would say all these guys are ahead of him, and maybe even Trice and that could kick Eli Ricks into the 4th or 5th round possibly unless there is a massive run on CBs.  He just did not play great but we will see how he works out.  Still no way I would take Eli Ricks over the top 12 or so guys on this list, no way.  Granted Martin, Watts and Garner all might play safety in the NFL, even Antonio Johnson might be tried there if slot CB does not work out, still that versatility is something Ricks does not have.

Kelee Ringo Georgia RS SOPH
Clark Phillips III Utah RS SOPH
Christian Gonzalez Oregon RS SOPH
Antonio Johnson Texas A&M JR
Joey Porter Jr Penn State RS JR
Devon Witherspoon Illinois RS JR
Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson TCU
Mekhi Garner LSU RS JR
Emmanuel Forbes Miss State JR
Ryan Watts Texas JR
DJ Turner Michigan
Jartavius Martin Illinois