CB Talk

MOSteelers56

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

It seems like the consensus is Devon Witherspoon and Christian Gonzalez are 1 and 2, in some order. After that, it gets fuzzy. Who do you guys think is CB3? I'd imagine Joey Porter Jr and Deonte Banks would be the favorites.

Probably Joey Porter Jr.

My next best corners are tied, with the exact same grade.

Joey Porter Jr.
Kyu Blu Kelly
Tre'vius Hodges-Tomlinson

I have Banks with a late 3rd round grade. His talent is there, but he's incredibly handsy and overly physical. He's gonna be a flag machine and I'm not sure he has the quickness on tape to match without getting grabby.

I am a bit confused that if people had Banks as a 2nd round selection before the combine, how is he moving up to a CB#3.  Sure he is more athletic that shows on tape but the total lack of ball skills is also still there.  I could not move him above Forbes

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I am a bit confused that if people had Banks as a 2nd round selection before the combine, how is he moving up to a CB#3.  Sure he is more athletic that shows on tape but the total lack of ball skills is also still there.  I could not move him above Forbes

I also don’t understand how people aren’t more concerned with Forbes weighing 166 pounds at 6’

27 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I also don’t understand how people aren’t more concerned with Forbes weighing 166 pounds at 6’

Because he hasn't been a poor tackler. He's just really slight. I don't love his tape, but the size doesn't bother me. It doesn't flash as being an issue for him.

34 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:
2 hours ago, jebrick said:

I think the same reason DeVonta Smith was a semi-concern at 175 but it wasn't a "deal breaker".

For Forbes it's absolutely a concern, but if they think he can gain another 10-12 pounds then it's not as big of a red flag IMO.

7 hours ago, minutemancl said:

It seems like the consensus is Devon Witherspoon and Christian Gonzalez are 1 and 2, in some order. After that, it gets fuzzy. Who do you guys think is CB3? I'd imagine Joey Porter Jr and Deonte Banks would be the favorites.

It’s Forbes for me, the weight is a concern - but he’s so instinctive and smart.

6 hours ago, jebrick said:

These clips show what is so impressive about Banks and is a nice breakdown of him as a player.  He does mirror receivers extremely well, or at least did this past season, sure he did not get a ton of interceptions but he also is calm when the ball is in the air and still breaks up passes even though he might not be intercepting them.  And come on that combine was standout and the guy looked physically ripped for a corner.  Huge upside and I would be very surprised if he is not picked in the 1st round, love his press man ability at the line of scrimmage, is a real up and coming player.  But sure I might be over ranking him just based on that awesome combine and granted I was not really on him as a player during the season but I did not watch Maryland as much as I should have or turned when they were on D honestly.  That front 7 so was nothing and as a unit did not do great I just moved on, might have to go back and watch them again Ohio State for sure.  

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I think the same reason DeVonta Smith was a semi-concern at 175 but it wasn't a "deal breaker".

For Forbes it's absolutely a concern, but if they think he can gain another 10-12 pounds then it's not as big of a red flag IMO.

DeVonta was 170 and probably just a good poop away from 166.

Edited by Jeezla

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

It’s Forbes for me, the weight is a concern - but he’s so instinctive and smart.

I am really struggling with the idea of drafting someone to play NFL football who is the size of a median high schooler. He weighs 165 pounds!!!

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I am really struggling with the idea of drafting someone to play NFL football who is the size of a median high schooler. He weighs 165 pounds!!!

You really don’t notice it though and he’s not missed a game in the SEC through injury. 

• Like 1

You are shooting yourself in the leg if you rely on someone who is 165 pounds to start as a boundary defender. Any good OC will run straight at him every single play until you take him off the field. 

Why does it seem like everyone is small this draft? Did Dawand Jones steal a little bit of height and weight from everyone?