CB Talk

MOSteelers56

22 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

To further your point, Slay actually measured under 6’ at the combine.

71.88”

He did?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darius-slay/3200534c-4174-6089-247d-164a667d0a9a

This does not have him as such, but damn that is one fast 40 time at 4.36, that was faster than Millner, DJ Hayden, Trufant and Rhodes guys who all got drafted ahead of Slay.  

13 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Wonder what some big boards would look like combining the top guys in this class with last year's in Stingley, Sauce, McDuffie, Booth, Elam etc.?

Stingley and Sauce would easily be ahead of anyone in the 2023 class, McDuffie I would not take him over Gonzalez or Witherspoon though, same with Booth and Elam who would fall behind Gonzalez and Witherspoon etc.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He did?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darius-slay/3200534c-4174-6089-247d-164a667d0a9a

This does not have him as such, but damn that is one fast 40 time at 4.36, that was faster than Millner, DJ Hayden, Trufant and Rhodes guys who all got drafted ahead of Slay.  

Stingley and Sauce would easily be ahead of anyone in the 2023 class, McDuffie I would not take him over Gonzalez or Witherspoon though, same with Booth and Elam who would fall behind Gonzalez and Witherspoon etc.   

Always find this site has the most accurate numbers 

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=10332

18 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Wonder what some big boards would look like combining the top guys in this class with last year's in Stingley, Sauce, McDuffie, Booth, Elam etc.?

If they were all in one class? My guess would be something like this-

Top 10

Derek Stingley

Sauce Gardner 

Top 15

Christian Gonzalez 

Devon Witherspoon

Top 20

Joey Porter Jr.

Trent McDuffie

Top 25-30

Deonte Banks

Top 30-40

Cam Smith

Kaiir Elam

Andrew Booth

Stingley and Gardner are in a class of their own. Gonzalez and Witherspoon clear that next tier of McDuffie and Porter. Banks is a riser who has settled in as a 1st Round lock. Then you have that lump of Late 1st-Early 2nd CB talent that seems to be around every draft with guys like Elam and Booth.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2023 at 9:01 PM, DreamKid said:

If they were all in one class? My guess would be something like this-

Top 10

Derek Stingley

Sauce Gardner 

Top 15

Christian Gonzalez 

Devon Witherspoon

Top 20

Joey Porter Jr.

Trent McDuffie

Top 25-30

Deonte Banks

Top 30-40

Cam Smith

Kaiir Elam

Andrew Booth

Stingley and Gardner are in a class of their own. Gonzalez and Witherspoon clear that next tier of McDuffie and Porter. Banks is a riser who has settled in as a 1st Round lock. Then you have that lump of Late 1st-Early 2nd CB talent that seems to be around every draft with guys like Elam and Booth.

Sauce Top 5

On 3/26/2023 at 9:01 PM, DreamKid said:

Stingley and Gardner are in a class of their own.

I would disagree. I would consider Witherspoon and Gonzales to be right there with them as prospects. I would definitely have the aforementioned Stingley/Gardner higher, but I think all 4 are elite prospects.

Without hindsight, I had Singley ahead of Gardner, albeit slightly. As prospects, here's the ratings I had on them:

1. Derek Stingley (83)
2. Sauce Gardner (82)
3. Devon Witherspoon (81)
4. Christian Gonzales (79)

Those are all really high grades for how I typically rate players. You're a blue-chip if you are 80+. You're a top 10 talent if you're in the upper 70's.

So Jay Ward... what do you guys think CB or Safety in the nfl? I originally had him ranked as my 33 CB in this years draft but through some more research I'm thinking he would be 13 best safety possibly going in 5th round. What is your take on him?

4 minutes ago, vikes635 said:

I'm not 100% sure I'm sold on Banks, does anyone have a cut up of him?

Watch the full combine workout but here is a quick clip.  Dude has great feet and is obviously very put together for a CB and athletically he performed great.  This is one damn fast and smooth backpedal.

On 3/28/2023 at 6:36 AM, THE DUKE said:

All this talk about Porter being grabby seems very overblown. Have you been watching the NFL lately?  All CB play has been pretty grabby in recent years.  It's practically how every team plays Jamar Chase.

In 2022 there were 7.28 Pass Interference penalties per team league wide.

In 2021 there were 9.63 Pass Interference penalties per team league wide.  

Maybe they are letting more go now than before.  Still does not mean Porter doesn't grab and his INT production is crazy low for a guy that played a ton.  People rip on Banks for not having good ball skills but he barely even played in 2021 and 2020.  Porter played a ton every year outside of his first season, he should have been far more productive than he was.  Fought well against Ohio State when they attacked him which is good.

I still have Porter being picked by Washington and being a high selection, it is just Witherspoon to me made way more of an impact this past year, quicker to the football, better awareness, more aggressive tackler and better in the short quick passing game.  

1 hour ago, vikes635 said:

So Jay Ward... what do you guys think CB or Safety in the nfl? I originally had him ranked as my 33 CB in this years draft but through some more research I'm thinking he would be 13 best safety possibly going in 5th round. What is your take on him?

I have him as a free safety, and I think he's a potential steal.  Always around the ball, aggressive tackler, probably an immediate contributor on special teams, and can potentially fill that "DB" role that it seems like a lot of teams are looking for in their depth charts.

• Like 1

Interesting to hear Chris Simms rankings for this year's cb  class, he's got a pretty solid record for ranking cbs. He left porter out of his top 5 entirely (thinks he grabs too much as a big reason). He had 3 guys in the top tier with banks by himself in tier two. 

• Tier 1
  • No. 1: Devon Witherspoon, Illinois.
  • No. 2: DJ Turner, Michigan.
  • No. 3: Christian Gonzalez, Oregon.
  • Tier 2
  • No. 4: Deonte Banks, Maryland.
  • Tier 3
  • No. 5: Kelee Ringo, Georgia.

• 3 weeks later...