CB Talk

MOSteelers56

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I think Ringo is pretty solidly the best.  But I like Porter.  In the Ohio State game, they seemed to get all their passes to Marvin Harrison Jr. over other corners.  Porter kept his guys clean most of the time.  He also seems to recognize plays really really fast, and is gonna measure super well.  I like him as the second in the class, and not by a huge margin.

Gonzalez is the next best I saw, but I do think he's a tier lower than those two.  Cam Smith is good, not great, more of a second round guy IMO.  His matchup last week with Jalen Hyatt got some good tape for him for sure, but he still got beat several times by Hyatt, and Tillman wiped the floor with him when they were matched up.

I like Tomlinson-Hodges a lot as a "sleeper," but I'm not sure he's really that slept on (Ozzy just pointed him out).  Short corner, but speedy, and he got that dog in him, as they say.

I guess the only guy I like quite a bit that I haven't seen listed already is Mekhi Blackmon out of USC.  A little skinny, but long, changes direction quickly, and just makes plays on the ball.

As a Georgia fan Ringo gives up a lot of catches he shouldn’t. He then goes and makes a great play. He will grow and he is only 20 with all of the physical talent both size and athleticism you could want. Gonzalez is in that same tier imo. He is very good against the run also. 

A few sleeper corners with good potential:

*Tiawan Mullen Indiana SR:  I love the fight he has, had an insane amount of passes deflected as a freshman.  Has not been as dominating lately but could be a great slot corner who has very good ball skills and great toughness.

*Cory Trice Purdue RS SR:  I expected more out of him this year but at least he is healthy.  Is a huge corner, super long and is willing to tackle as well, should be a fine mid round pickup.  

*Riley Moss Iowa RS SR:  Gets tons of turnovers, might be moved to safety but kid has great ball skills obviously and is very smooth in coverage.

*Steven Gilmore Marshall SR:  Brother of Stephon, is not as physically gifted but he is a solid corner and could be a good pro.  

*DJ Ivey Miami FL RS SR:  Love his length, kind of under the radar guy but has potential and super long arms.

*Terell Smith Minnesota RS SR:  Probably the biggest sleeper on this list, has really put it all together in his final year, has 2 sacks, 2 INTs and 5 passes deflected, is a solid athlete and could be a fine 7th round pick, good size as well.

*Sevyn Banks LSU RS SR:  Super talented, has had major injuries and is even hurt this year.  But as a 7th round pick or UDFA he has potential if he can get back to healthy again.

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

As a Georgia fan Ringo gives up a lot of catches he shouldn’t. He then goes and makes a great play. He will grow and he is only 20 with all of the physical talent both size and athleticism you could want. Gonzalez is in that same tier imo. He is very good against the run also. 

See, I've only watched one full game of his, and that was Tennessee's game.  He dominated Hyatt that game, and no one else has been able to do that to him.  Even Cam Smith, who is supposed to be very good, got beaten a bunch, and Alabama's CBs got straight up burned.  So did Missouri's good CB, Draine.

Maybe that's not representative of what he does all the time, but he sure looked like a number 1 CB in that game.

• Like 1

Just now, Daniel said:

See, I've only watched one full game of his, and that was Tennessee's game.  He dominated Hyatt that game, and no one else has been able to do that to him.  Even Cam Smith, who is supposed to be very good, got beaten a bunch, and Alabama's CBs got straight up burned.  So did Missouri's good CB, Draine.

Maybe that's not representative of what he does all the time, but he sure looked like a number 1 CB in that game.

He’s worth a top 10 pick but I also think Gonzalez is and I like Gonzalez a bit more for his overall game. 

Here are some guys who could all play safety and most of them are corners, Reynolds, Allen and McCollough I think could play corner if asked to do so but are all currently safeties.  Same with Dean but they move him around and same with Brian Branch, he can play some slot maybe but is better around the line of scrimmage as a tackler or blitzer not so much in coverage.  Miles Battle plays corner currently but is super long and could be a decent safety as well.

Antonio Johnson Texas A&M JR
Ryan Watts Texas JR
Mekhi Garner LSU RS JR
Brian Branch Alabama JR
Jartavius Martin Illinois
Trey Dean III Florida RS
Riley Moss Iowa RS
Hunter Reynolds Utah State RS
Cam Allen Purdue
Jaylen McCollough Tennessee
Miles Battle Ole Miss RS

Antonio Johnson could be in the slot and has done a ton of that so that increases his value a lot, Dean has done some slot work as well.  

Jartavius Martin is a guy I forgot to mention, I think of him more as a safety though possibly but he could play on the boundary or at safety or in the slot.  He is a rising DB and should easily be a 3rd or 4th round pick with that versatility.  And again Watts and Garner I think could both be moved to safety but also might stay at corner.  

I have all these guys returning to school potentially based on current level of play or injury.

Eli Ricks Alabama JR CB
Brandon Joseph Notre Dame RS JR S
Jalen Catalon Arkansas RS JR S
Emmanuel Forbes Miss State JR CB
Malachi Moore Alabama JR CB
Quinn Schulte Iowa RS JR S
Tykee Smith Georgia RS JR S
Storm Duck UNC RS JR CB
Cam Hart Notre Dame RS JR CB/S
Myles Sims Georgia Tech RS JR CB
Doneiko Slaughter Tennessee JR CB
Cameron Mitchell Northwestern RS JR CB
Jaylon Jones Texas A&M JR CB
MJ Devonshire Pitt RS JR CB

10 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

It seems like a lot of college corners are, especially the long guys. It all depends on how he takes coaching and adjusts to the speed. CB prospects are such a crapshoot to me. They're all crazy athletes, it just depends on how the adjust to the NFL. Do you think Ringo is the better prospect?

but Porter is VERY grabby.  That is a warrning flag for me but I also remember Dion Sanders ( at a combine) saying that none of the CBs know their craft and will have to be coached in the NFL.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Did he get hurt? I don’t see him returning after now holding the FBS record for pick sixes in a career. Now with 14 career interceptions for 390 yards 6 TDs and 18 PDs. He’s going to go cash in.

True I could be wrong, he does get a ton of INTs which is great but he also gets beat a lot it seems.  He is not a lock down corner and gives up about as many plays as he makes himself with INTs.  I liked Emerson better last year between the two who was a bigger longer athlete and he was only a 3rd rounder.  I might have to watch Forbes more though.  

39 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True I could be wrong, he does get a ton of INTs which is great but he also gets beat a lot it seems.  He is not a lock down corner and gives up about as many plays as he makes himself with INTs.  I liked Emerson better last year between the two who was a bigger longer athlete and he was only a 3rd rounder.  I might have to watch Forbes more though.  

Forbes has a dog mentality and a lot of swagger give me that in a corner all day. He doesn’t get beat as much as your post may suggest. He should play in a man heavy scheme though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

Forbes has a dog mentality and a lot of swagger give me that in a corner all day. He doesn’t get beat as much as your post may suggest. He should play in a man heavy scheme though.

I will have to watch more of Forbes but sometimes INTs in college can be deceptive.  Gerod Holliman had 14 INTs in one year, Senquez Golson had 10, David Amerson had 13 in one year, Jayron Hosley had 9 in one year...   And the real example Alphonso Smith had 3, 3, 8 and 7 INTs over his career and he did not last in the NFL at all.

Forbes skinny legs scare me just like Lewis Cine's skinny legs scared me last year.  Forbes is willing to hit but is very thin in the lower body and who knows if he can hold up long term or not.  Also would be nice to see Forbes on a big stage in big games but they are not really in many honestly for him to perform at a high level against top competition.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I will have to watch more of Forbes but sometimes INTs in college can be deceptive.  Gerod Holliman had 14 INTs in one year, Senquez Golson had 10, David Amerson had 13 in one year, Jayron Hosley had 9 in one year...   And the real example Alphonso Smith had 3, 3, 8 and 7 INTs over his career and he did not last in the NFL at all.

Forbes skinny legs scare me just like Lewis Cine's skinny legs scared me last year.  Forbes is willing to hit but is very thin in the lower body and who knows if he can hold up long term or not.  Also would be nice to see Forbes on a big stage in big games but they are not really in many honestly for him to perform at a high level against top competition.  

I didn’t like any of those prospects. Especially Holliman. Forbes is different. The tape tells a different story. The big stage meh he’s played in the SEC for three seasons. I get the thin concerns. I’m not too worried about that.

8 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

I didn’t like any of those prospects. Especially Holliman. Forbes is different. The tape tells a different story. The big stage meh he’s played in the SEC for three seasons. I get the thin concerns. I’m not too worried about that.

I will have to watch him some more no question, and maybe I underrate the guy.

But it does seem a lot of his production is against pretty so so competition.  Got 1 INT against East Tennessee State, 2 against Texas A&M who are an awful offensive football team with bad QB and WR play and 1 against Arkansas with backup QBs in this year.  The year previous got one against a young inexperienced QB in Memphis, and 1 against Vanderbilt with poor QB an WR play.  Then as a freshman got 2 against Missouri and a suspect QB, then one in the bowl game and that awful fight after the game that was terrible to watch.  Curious if some guys when to jail for that, never really heard.   Still that is arguably his biggest win was in that bowl game against Tulsa where that fight happened which basically made everything in the game meaningless, so that is not saying much.   Mississippi State has no real big wins in that time, sure have beat some ranked teams at the time in the SEC but nothing super memorable, will see if they do something this year more meaningful, got Ole Miss coming up but even they are a big on the overrated side as well.

This is the group of guys who could be decent slot corners.  Gonzalez and Johnson I doubt they end up there but both could do it if asked I feel, same with Martin.  But the best movement and mirror guys are easily Phillips, Hodges-Tomilinson, Mullen and Witherspoon.

Clark Phillips III Utah RS SOPH
Christian Gonzalez Oregon RS SOPH
Antonio Johnson Texas A&M JR
Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson TCU
Devon Witherspoon Illinois RS JR
Tiawan Mullen Indiana
Jartavius Martin Illinois
DJ Turner Michigan SR CB
AJ Hampton Northwestern RS
Greg Brooks Jr LSU
Reese Taylor Purdue