QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

1 hour ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Packer fan here, I posted this on the Packer board but I’m interested in what you guys think as well.

What do you guys think the point of contention is right now? 

Im not here to talk about leverage . I’m just curious on what everyone thinks is holding it up.

I find it highly highly unlikely it’s a 2nd or 3rd round pick holding this up. 

My personal guess it’s that the offer was basically

This years 1st, a 3rd next year that could be come a 2.

I think we’ve upped our asking price to a 2nd round pick that could be a 1 in 2024.

what are your guys’ thoughts ?

Your pretty far off here bud. The only way you get pick 13 is a swap with your pick at 15. JD only collects picks he is a savage when it comes to this. I think the picks and players are all in place. I think the hold up is how much money is GB going to take on. That is what I think the hold up is. 

I see the trade as this

Jets get Aaron Rodgers

GB gets 3rd pick this year and a 5th round pick next year along with Corey Davis. 

The Jets (JD) knows they can walk away from this but GB can't. They have NO OTHER TEAM!!!!! No one wants AR. Just look at all the crazy stuff he just put the Jets throught and the deal has not even happend yet. The Jets are doing GB a huge fav by taking on him and his huge salary. The jets walk and GB is in big trouble. You now have your greatest QB in your history not really wanting to play for you anymore and you have Love who is due for his 5th year option soon and you have no idea how he will do in NFL games. I think GB thought they had leverage when Jimmy G and Carr signed and they did NOT. They over shot that. The only team that even LOOKED at AR was Las Vegas and that killed them. Once Jimmy G went off the market it did drop the QB pool but it took away GB only other team. 

@Rainmaker90

I think the two sides are probably a lot closer then is being portrayed in the media. If I had to guess, I’d say the hold up is ironing out the conditions of future picks and money/contract.

Speaking of which… If the Jets do not restructure Rodgers’ contract, they will be in absolute cap hell for a year or two AFTER he leaves. I believe as it stands, there would be a dead cap hit around $50M if he retires after 1 year, and an even bigger cap hit if he retires after 2 years. 

5 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Your pretty far off here bud. The only way you get pick 13 is a swap with your pick at 15. JD only collects picks he is a savage when it comes to this. I think the picks and players are all in place. I think the hold up is how much money is GB going to take on. That is what I think the hold up is. 

I see the trade as this

Jets get Aaron Rodgers

GB gets 3rd pick this year and a 5th round pick next year along with Corey Davis. 

The Jets (JD) knows they can walk away from this but GB can't. They have NO OTHER TEAM!!!!! No one wants AR. Just look at all the crazy stuff he just put the Jets throught and the deal has not even happend yet. The Jets are doing GB a huge fav by taking on him and his huge salary. The jets walk and GB is in big trouble. You now have your greatest QB in your history not really wanting to play for you anymore and you have Love who is due for his 5th year option soon and you have no idea how he will do in NFL games. I think GB thought they had leverage when Jimmy G and Carr signed and they did NOT. They over shot that. The only team that even LOOKED at AR was Las Vegas and that killed them. Once Jimmy G went off the market it did drop the QB pool but it took away GB only other team. 

Lol, the PR value to have ARod retire a Packer is worth more than that.  
Davis is a salary dump…

Edited by fattlipp

1 minute ago, fattlipp said:

Lol, Let ARod retire a packer…. Davis is a salary dump…

Correct Davis is a salary dump after Lazard was added. This is why I think it is money (cap space) that is holding it up. Neither team wants to be in "CAP HELL" for the next couple of years. In the end you will see a pretty even split on the money like each team taking on 20 to 30 mill of dead cap. The guy you need to follow is Wingo. Rodgers made Adam S and Ian R look like fools. I think he does not like these guys at all by trying to break the news first. Wingo is more of a laid back guy like Rodgers. These guys blasted Wingo when he said it is pretty much "done" Rodgers wil be a Jet. Wingo said no first round picks and these guys (Ian, Adam) where saying up to at least 2 fisrt round picks. Now the 2 clowns backed off nd said MAYBE a first round pick. 

Liked I stated if GB wants pick 13 then GB pick 15 is coming to in the deal. I can see a pick swap of first to be part too. 

4 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I see the trade as this

Jets get Aaron Rodgers

If I’m wrong, I’ll gladly admit it. I personally think you guys are wishfully hoping your first isn’t involved . 

If this trade some how doesn’t work out, our plan A is still Jordan Love. Will it suck if we don’t get proper compensation, sure. But even if we get your 1st , the most important thing for us is Jordan Love being an nfl QB. If that’s the case, the compensation is just icing  on the cake. 

Aaron Rodgers is also your plan A. Unlike us, you seem to have no plan B. You’re not signing Hackett and Lazard to play with Lamar Jackson ( I almost said Miller lol) . You may be okay going with Wilson, but I guarantee your organization isn’t . 

@BlaZeN37i think that’s a good possibility. I think Aaron’s interview changed things, but I don’t think they’re far off . 

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

If I’m wrong, I’ll gladly admit it. I personally think you guys are wishfully hoping your first isn’t involved . 

If this trade some how doesn’t work out, our plan A is still Jordan Love. Will it suck if we don’t get proper compensation, sure. But even if we get your 1st , the most important thing for us is Jordan Love being an nfl QB. If that’s the case, the compensation is just icing  on the cake. 

Aaron Rodgers is also your plan A. Unlike us, you seem to have no plan B. You’re not signing Hackett and Lazard to play with Lamar Jackson ( I almost said Miller lol) . You may be okay going with Wilson, but I guarantee your organization isn’t . 

@BlaZeN37i think that’s a good possibility. I think Aaron’s interview changed things, but I don’t think they’re far off . 

The Lazard pick up is what the Jets needed if AR gets here or not. He is a big WR that can play the slot and is a great blocker. Breece Hall is a stud and having Lazard block on the outside even better. There are still things the Jets can do at QB.

Draft a QB. The window is open for 3-4 years with these guys on rookie deals. Sign a vet to start and work the rookie in.

Trade for Matt Stafford

Not a fan of this one but I guess Rivers has been looking to get back in the game and now reports are out that Brady may come back. You know if these guys come back they want to win now. The only team that needs a QB and is ready to win now is the Jets. 

Now if GB is stuck with AR your in BIG trouble. He will not retire I bet my house on that. You guys pissed him off. Your going to take your AR guy and BENCH him and pay him 50 mill LOL!! You have Love that is dye for the 5th year option SOON. You have no idea what he can do in a real game let alone big games. 

29 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What’s your opinion on what potentially those offers could be? Like centerpiece 

I think JD isn’t giving anything up too valuable this draft. After all if we’re going all in this year. We want those 1st couple picks bc they’re likely contributors.

So I think we do something like swap 13 for 15, which equals to a late 3rd in value. And our 3rd this year.

Then a conditional pick next year with lots of moving parts. 4th rounder at worst. Goes to a 3rd if we make the playoffs. And can go as high as a 2nd if we make the SB.

I could even see a scenario where we might have to give up something in the 2025 draft if AR plays in 2024. I think like a mid late rounder.

Jets get AR and pick 15

GB gets pick 13, a 2023 3rd rounder and a conditional pick in 2024 based on our performance (and likely snap count and such for AR) that can range anywhere between a 2nd to 4th.

This is going to get done. There really is no point in talking about what ifs. Rodgers will be the Jets QB in 2023. Love will be the Packers QB in 2023.

Now it is a matter of hammering out a deal. Considering the contract implications, team salary cap implications, roster implications, PR implications, draft implications, etc. it really should not be a surprise that this is a complicated trade to complete.

3 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

The Lazard pick up is what the Jets needed if AR gets here or not. He is a big WR that can play the slot and is a great blocker. Breece Hall is a stud and having Lazard block on the outside even better. There are still things the Jets can do at QB.

Draft a QB. The window is open for 3-4 years with these guys on rookie deals. Sign a vet to start and work the rookie in.

Trade for Matt Stafford

Not a fan of this one but I guess Rivers has been looking to get back in the game and now reports are out that Brady may come back. You know if these guys come back they want to win now. The only team that needs a QB and is ready to win now is the Jets. 

Now if GB is stuck with AR your in BIG trouble. He will not retire I bet my house on that. You guys pissed him off. Your going to take your AR guy and BENCH him and pay him 50 mill LOL!! You have Love that is dye for the 5th year option SOON. You have no idea what he can do in a real game let alone big games. 

Who you gonna draft at 13?? Stafford who may be done and Phillip Rivers? That sounds nice if you’re not banking on them to save your job. 

Idk why you think there wouldn’t be any suitors for Aaron. Who does Washington and Indy have at QB? Two of the most irrational teams in baseball he league . Even if he does come back. He costs us less against the cap. 

I really can’t fault you though. If I were in your shoes, I’d be p***** thinking a top 15 draft pick could be used for a 40 year old QB. It’s a good possibility it is though 

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think JD isn’t giving anything up too valuable this draft. After all if we’re going all in this year. We want those 1st couple picks bc they’re likely contributors.

So I think we do something like swap 13 for 15, which equals to a late 3rd in value. And our 3rd this year.

Then a conditional pick next year with lots of moving parts. 4th rounder at worst. Goes to a 3rd if we make the playoffs. And can go as high as a 2nd if we make the SB.

I could even see a scenario where we might have to give up something in the 2025 draft if AR plays in 2024. I think like a mid late rounder.

Jets get AR and pick 15

GB gets pick 13, a 2023 3rd rounder and a conditional pick in 2024 based on our performance (and likely snap count and such for AR) that can range anywhere between a 2nd to 4th.

I think we are going to give up more than that, but I think we are going to be giving up 2024 and 2025 picks. I definitely think a first-rounder is involved, but with conditions.

I also think part of the delay is the inclusion of other players. I think both teams are adding other players into this deal. Both teams likely missed out on players in free agency this week because of the Rodgers situation, so it is likely that the two sides could be looking to help each other out with their individual team needs.

That is my take.

The Rams might trade Stafford, so there is another option in case the Packers continue to be unrealistic. 

But, based on people who are within the know. I think it gets done this upcoming week and it will not include our first. Jets would be really dumb to give up the 13th overall pick, only way you should give up a first is 2024 with conditions like Rodgers leads us to a SB, division title, or something that shows he was worth giving up a 1 for. No team gives up a 13th overall pick for a potential 1 year rental. 

The closest comparison to this is our last trade with the Packers for Favre, that did not include a first. That is the closest comparison we have to a situation like this.  

I don't want to give up the 13th overall pick, but if that is what has to happen to get it done, and we get other concessions in the deal, so be it.

We win this trade regardless. We have never had a quarterback like Aaron Rodgers on this roster in my lifetime (I was born in 1970). 

13th overall would still be worth it, imho.