Week 12: Ravens @ Jags

DreamKid

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The difference I see in our team vs. teams like KC or Buffalo, is that no matter who is playing for those teams, they don't drop throws like this, but we do then we say "oh man if only we had a WR1 or someone better". Fact of the matter is that our players just suck and it appears like we just don't work on things that other teams do.

I mean freaking Mark Andrews is out here dropping easy touchdown passes, man.

EDIT: Look at this play, man:

64 goes out and blocks the guy who Andrews is already blocking, which just frees up a defender to easily tackle Ricard in the open field. Not that Ricard should ever be catching screen passes to begin with...

Also, this was the sequence I was talking about yesterday. 2nd and 14 we throw this screen pass, get 4 yards, then on 3rd and 10 we throw a pass in the flat to Ricard, then punt. Like....what are we doing?

Lamar should be like "short of a guaranteed deal, I want out of Baltimore." Because ain't no way, man. Ain't no F'n way.

18 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

He absolutely does, no doubt about it, but I'd still ask outta here. Because AIN'T NO WAY, bro. Ain't no way, lol

I don't get it. Almost all the other organizations that would want to get Lamar are have long track records of failure. The grass isn't always greener. 

45 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Lamar should be like "short of a guaranteed deal, I want out of Baltimore." Because ain't no way, man. Ain't no F'n way.

The pass to Oliver was a brutally inaccurate pass by Lamar. The pass in the back of the endzone was inaccurate and required a full extension dive by the WR. The drop by Andrews was bad, but All Pro TEs are allowed to drop the ball every once in awhile. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

The pass to Oliver was a brutally inaccurate pass by Lamar. The pass in the back of the endzone was inaccurate and required a full extension dive by the WR. The drop by Andrews was bad, but All Pro TEs are allowed to drop the ball every once in awhile. 

that pass to robinson should be caught 100/100 times.

8 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

that pass to robinson should be caught 100/100 times.

But in reality it is caught maybe 50/100 times. 

One thing about that play as well is Lamar had a clean pocket and bailed. He's been doing it a lot, it's a bad habit that makes it much harder for OL to block for him. 

2 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

But in reality it is caught maybe 50/100 times. 

One thing about that play as well is Lamar had a clean pocket and bailed. He's been doing it a lot, it's a bad habit that makes it much harder for OL to block for him. 

Clean pocket? Bro, watch the play again. He stands in there until 41 is literally on top of him then bails. 

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Clean pocket? Bro, watch the play again. He stands in there until 41 is literally on top of him then bails. 

All Lamar has to do is shift back a couple steps and he'll be fine. But now he's bailing at the first sign of pressure, he bails on the pocket unnecessarily quite a lot recently. 

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Zay Jones is also their WR2, not their blocking TE, but I mean I get what you're saying.

Overall though our pass catchers not being great at...catching passes has been a thing since forever. The last sure-handed guy we had was Boldin and IIRC even he had the case of the dropsies here and there, he just went on streaks where he would just manhandle everyone.

Yeah and this is an EDC issue, but still. For us to create more explosiveness within our offense and cure the Redzone woes, I just have to think what’s more valuable our #2 blocking TE behind Pat Ricard OR a similarly athletic, longer, potentially better hands and catch radius option?

Idk. If he looks good in practice, I’d take my chances at giving Kolar the obvious passing down looks and the Redzone looks. IIRC his strengths were his oily Pitta-esq hips, quality hands, and reaction speed to adjust to low and/or high balls. He’d easily be our worst blocking TE, but if Roman can’t figure out how to build a capable run game out of our good OL and Ricard then he’s not the run gurus he’s been praised to be.

Because come playoff time we’re going to need some sort of offensive spark and Oliver has shown me enough that I know he doesn’t have the pass catching upside that could make our passing attack more explosive and capable.

2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

1) Watch the play again. #20 is in zone and when Lamar releases the ball, #20 is actually about 10 yards deeper than Oliver within his zone and he aggressively moves to cover Oliver within his zone.

Thus Lamar HAS to throw it up high in order to avoid the second level defender.

2) Lamar has Zeitler sitting in his lap with the Jags defender right in front of him. He’s got to also launch the ball higher to avoid a potentially batted ball from the defender.

3) The #1 issue with this play is Oliver sucks at tracking the football as @wackywabbit has alluded to our receivers sucking at.

Slow the play down and you’ll see the ball sitting at the 20 yard line in the air and Oliver is running normal speed and “tracking” the ball, he’s at the 9 yard line. The ball then gets to the 15 yard line in the air and Oliver is at the 7 yard line and he’s geared DOWN before making the split second decision whether to jump, he does and mistimes the jump and angle to jump. 

If Oliver is proficiently tracking the football, he should NOT gear down, but gear up to meet the ball instead. If he does, he meets the ball directly at the goal line and catches it overhead with the ball falling within the bread basket. How do I know because:

Ball- 20 yard line w/ Oliver at 9 yard line
Ball- 15 yard line w/ Oliver at 7 yard line
Ball- 10 yard line w/ Oliver should be at 5 yard line.
Ball- 5 yard line w/ Oliver should be at 3 yard line.
Ball- 0 yard line w/ Oliver should be at 1 yard line.

So if Oliver gears up, he meets the ball at the goal line.

Instead Oliver misjudges the ball, gets out of position, and then attempts to high point for the ball so as to recover. He almost succeeds, but his hands are below average and so he drops the pass.

21 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Because come playoff time we’re going to need some sort of offensive spark

Yup.

I'm not even convinced we make playoffs, but if we do and don't have any "easy offense" established by that point- we'll probably be out 1st game up. 

We've seen much more productive Lamar era offenses go to the playoffs and fail. There's very little reason to have faith in this current crew being capable of bucking that trend.

Roman's passing concepts aren't going to scare anyone(ever) and does anyone really believe we'll hang 250+ rushing yards on any of the top AFC contenders(Bills, Chiefs, Dolphins, etc)?.... Even if the defense can hold these monster offenses to 1 or 2 scores, I doubt the O will be able to do much of anything. We're losing to and struggling to move the ball against legit bottom feeder clubs. 

If we can lose to the Giants and Jags in the fashion we did, we can lose to anyone in the league. No one should assume we'll win any of our remaining games at this point.

This team has no identity, no confidence, and outside of Tucker no reliable aspect to truly lean on. The defense has potential but MM is a JAG coach and we're one Marlon Humphrey injury away from disaster. There's just nothing to bank on.

I'm not usually this negative but I really don't like how things look in their present state. Injuries, a coaching staff possibly on their way out, an agitated QB, no depth at key spots... IDK, feels bleak.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Yup.

I'm not even convinced we make playoffs, but if we do and don't have any "easy offense" established by that point- we'll probably be out 1st game up. 

If we can lose to the Giants and Jags in the fashion we did, we can lose to anyone in the league. No one should assume we'll win any of our remaining games at this point.

I'm not usually this negative but I really don't like how things look in their present state. Injuries, a coaching staff possibly on their way out, an agitated QB, no depth at key spots... IDK, feels bleak.

We've won 4 out of our 5 last games. Every game we've played we've had a 90+% win expectancy in the 4th quarter, except the Bills which was like 75%. I think you are being extremely pessimistic. 

If you are a gambling man, you should put a lot of $ on the Ravens not making the playoffs, because you'll get great odds. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Yup.

We've seen much more productive Lamar era offenses go to the playoffs and fail. There's very little reason to have faith in this current crew being capable of bucking that trend.

Roman's passing concepts aren't going to scare anyone(ever) and does anyone really believe we'll hang 250+ rushing yards on any of the top AFC contenders(Bills, Chiefs, Dolphins, etc)?.... Even if the defense can hold these monster offenses to 1 or 2 scores, I doubt the O will be able to do much of anything. We're losing to and struggling to move the ball against legit bottom feeder clubs. 

This team has no identity, no confidence, and outside of Tucker no reliable aspect to truly lean on. The defense has potential but MM is a JAG coach and we're one Marlon Humphrey injury away from disaster. There's just nothing to bank on.

It's largely because they make the same mistakes/have the same deficiencies like every single game.  Really don't know why people have such faith in the team fixing something they've shown the inability to fix all season like the playclock issues, lack of downfield passing success, or stopping other teams' passing game on defense once we have a lead. It's weird to just assume a team is going to fix something when we're 70% of the way through the season and the same things are happening. There's no magic button to press to improve your QBs accuracy, the quality of your WRs or the capability of your secondary.

Like people can point to the fact we're 7-4 and have won 4/5, but is anyone even remotely impressed with scraping by teams like Carolina, Cleveland, and an insanely injured and mediocre Tampa team? We've had one convincing win in this 4/5 stretch and it was against an absolutely putrid Saints team. We've lost to mediocre teams like Jacksonville and NYG. Really can't see the optimism other than "hey once we get in the dance anything's possible", which I guess is true, but what has this team shown to people that they believe they can put together 4 consecutive consistent quarters, let alone 4 consecutive consistent games.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

That's leaving aside the consistent presnap penalties - false starts, illegal motions, etc. Harbaugh and Roman should be embarrassed. We've had the same QB/OC/HC for 5 years and yet every week the offense looks like they're playing Week 2 of preseason with a bunch of strangers. Also what happens when the GM's penny pinching strategy on offense means we're constantly chopping and changing so much that there's zero continuity in personnel either. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli