Transfer Portal: '22 - '23 Edition

BobbyPhil1781

7 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Iowa hitting that portal hard. Looks like they're going to get Cade McNamara, Erick All, and Taeshon Holden.

For a team with no offense, that will certainly help them be at least average at times which is a massive improvement from this year

Wow

Big 10 is really loading up in coaching and player talent

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Pretty soon the draft is going to be the three/four 20-21 year old QB's that are going top 50 and the rest will be 24-25 year olds who have exhausted their eligibility and made 5-10m bouncing around to the high bidder in the portal. 

Good for them, in all actuality. Rather get paid from one of 130+ teams than hope to get paid from one of 32.

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Good for them, in all actuality. Rather get paid from one of 130+ teams than hope to get paid from one of 32.

Oh I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, most of these guys probably sign UDFA contracts and end up on a PS squad for a year or two and then sell insurance, so make the bank while you can. It's just the one position I think you'll see the portal affect the NFL, why leave early and toil away in the NFL as a backup when you can get 3-4m for a season and be the king of campus as the QB ? You either know you're going day 1-2 for sure, or shop yourself around and use all 5-6 years of that eligibility. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Pretty soon the draft is going to be the three/four 20-21 year old QB's that are going top 50 and the rest will be 24-25 year olds who have exhausted their eligibility and made 5-10m bouncing around to the high bidder in the portal. 

How many years of eligibility can guys get now?

Just now, seminoles1 said:

Why can't they get a degree?

My initial thought would be credit transfers and not every school accepting those but I'm not one to speak too much on that topic. Assuming all credits don't transfer, it would take these kids 5-6 years to get enough to graduate and if they only went to school to play ball, they might not feel inclined to go to class. There were a lot of comments in that thread from people who seemingly know better than I do.

13 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Iowa hitting that portal hard. Looks like they're going to get Cade McNamara, Erick All, and Taeshon Holden.

For a team with no offense, that will certainly help them be at least average at times which is a massive improvement from this year

This is the sweet spot for CFB, for teams who historically had problems attracting elite talent can now get guys and compete. Hell, a team like Akron, Charlotte, Rutgers, San Jose State with the right coach could really turn their programs around quickly. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

This is the sweet spot for CFB, for teams who historically had problems attracting elite talent can now get guys and compete. Hell, a team like Akron, Charlotte, Rutgers, San Jose State with the right coach could really turn their programs around quickly. 

Exactly what CU is trying to do this year. I don't hate it b/c I love me some parity but as we both discussed, there are some potential academic downfalls that could present themselves. Not sure how much these kids are getting for NIL deals but I'd be willing to bet 99% of them are not enough to live off of forever even w/ top-notch financial advice. A degree would certainly help them for the future assuming they aren't able to be some of the small amount of people who wind up playing pro ball. 

I'm not going to hate an Akron/Idaho 2028 National Championship game though!!

Honestly, that's what academic advisors are for and it's the kid's fault if they blindly transfer willy nilly to schools without considering credit transfers. There's no reason to think the teams won't spend more money on support staff that makes sure these kids aren't getting screwed in that department.

Now, you're not going to be able to transfer from Kansas State to Stanford and expect your academics to carry. Do your due diligence before you make a drastic decision.

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Honestly, that's what academic advisors are for and it's the kid's fault if they blindly transfer willy nilly to schools without considering credit transfers. There's no reason to think the teams won't spend more money on support staff that makes sure these kids aren't getting screwed in that department.

Now, you're not going to be able to transfer from Kansas State to Stanford and expect your academics to carry. Do your due diligence before you make a drastic decision.

This, and a lot of these kids will get nice checks for transferring, if their degree is important to them and they don't make the NFL, they will still be able to pay for the year or two they'll need to get a degree. 

• Like 1