Jimmy G out 7-8 weeks with foot injury

bigbadbuff

11 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Will it be 40? His initial contract with TB was 2/50. He also has 20+ years of earnings and a $375 million contract heading his way after he retires so i doubt he'll be super expensive. Anyways, either way i'm sure they'll manage it. I think we restructured Kittle, Armstead & Williams deals this year already. You do that for McCaffrey, lower Bosa and Aiyuk's cap hit with extensions, etc

He doesn't have that Giselle money any more. Previously restructuring deals hurts future years - it's designed to help the current year. Williams, Armstead, kittle have higher cap hits now moving forward, not lower ones. Aiyuks cap hit is 4 million; you're not lowering his hit by an extension. CMC you can drop probably 8 million or do, and extension will lower Bosa, but this team needs a new right tackle, center, safety, two corners and will have to add to the defensive line. This is all stuff that has to be figured out

And it still doesn't solve that he simply hasn't been great this year  and he doesn't present a long term solution. If the long term solution would still be Lance, this makes even less sense. 

Adding Brady is something that potentially has a ton of ripple effects and probably needs to have a lot of moving parts

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

He doesn't have that Giselle money any more. Previously restructuring deals hurts future years - it's designed to help the current year. Williams, Armstead, kittle have higher cap hits now moving forward, not lower ones. Aiyuks cap hit is 4 million; you're not lowering his hit by an extension. CMC you can drop probably 8 million or do, and extension will lower Bosa, but this team needs a new right tackle, center, safety, two corners and will have to add to the defensive line. This is all stuff that has to be figured out

And it still doesn't solve that he simply hasn't been great this year  and he doesn't present a long term solution. If the long term solution would still be Lance, this makes even less sense. 

Adding Brady is something that potentially has a ton of ripple effects and probably needs to have a lot of moving parts

Tampa's OL has been abysmal, and they lead the league in drops. Still, Brady is set to have year better than 2013 or 2019, when he was in similar situations and people similarly predicted his cliff. Physically he still has the arm and mind to play QB at a high level.

That said, the money/cap question is a consideration however, SF would essentially have to hope he's happy to take a pretty discount just to play for his favourite team (which might happen).

But taking that roster into the season with a QB depth chart of Lance/Purdy next season just feels like a waste. Whether it's Brady or someone else, they should defintiely chase a veteran if they can, even if it costs them some bad years down the line. That's what LA and Tampa both did, and I doubt either is regretting it right now.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

C, RT & FS are probably the biggest needs. Everything else is less important or depth. But we'll fill all that in house, low tier FA's, or draft picks. We do it every year. Some will be good, some will be average, 1-2 will probably be a liability but if that gets me a QB i'm ok with it. 

The financial goal is to make 2023 (potentially 2024) affordable. The cap hits go up but so does the cap. And Brady's $375 million upcoming deal will be a nice cushion

Brady will be perfect for what we ask of him. His current supporting cast & coaching aren't good. They will be in SF. If we sign him, i think we win a ring. You figure out the Lance stuff later. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. But the Packers kept Love for 3 years and he looks better. Might take over Year 4. We could do that too

Edited by 49ersfan

22 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Tampa's OL has been abysmal

I knew this would be brought up, and it doesn't help because the interior of the niners offensive line is pretty bad. There's also no avenue to fix that either, especially if you're paying Brady. The line may actually manage to get worse if they try and moneyball the mcg role, and the niners have same number of drops on fewer passes than Tampa depending on your site choice (pro football reference credits both teams with 23, but SF's drop rate is a full percentage point higher). That's not to say that Brady is done or anything, I have no idea. He looked done his last year in New England and clearly wasn't lol. But this same regime passed on him in that scenario

22 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

But taking that roster into the season with a QB depth chart of Lance/Purdy next season just feels like a waste. Whether it's Brady or someone else, they should defintiely chase a veteran if they can, even if it costs them some bad years down the line. That's what LA and Tampa both did, and I doubt either is regretting it right now.

Next year's roster is likely worse than this one and they were fine putting this in Lance's hands. I think they will give Purdy a shot to win a job this year and if he sucks, sign someone like Darnold. 

I get that it feels like a waste but they either have faith in Lance or they don't. Until they do something, we don't really know where they stand. If they have no faith in Lance, then everything is on the table. If they still believe in him, I don't think this is a real discussion for them

10 hours ago, Forge said:

I also don't think you can pick up a fifth year option when you've seen him play 4 games. 

To play devil's advocate though, they were willing to trade quite a bit of capital for someone with only one full-year of college, at North Dakota State for that matter (no disrespect to NDSU, they have churned out a decent amount of NFL talent lately IIRC, but we're still not talking about a big school).  If I'm an NFL team, I'm not taking Lance for what he is now but what I think he could develop into.  I get that things change when you get to the league but if you are willing to make that trade, then I would think you would be willing to pick up his 5th-year option even without seeing him play much.  

You all are probably right and they do stick with Lance.  It probably makes the most sense.  I'd just be a bit weary having my Super Bowl aspirations be largely dependent on a raw QB coming off a season-ending ankle injury, a QB who needs the practice time and development as much as the next guy considering he's lost 2 of his last 3 years.  To be fair though my opinion is a bit biased because I wasn't huge on Lance as a prospect to begin with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

To play devil's advocate though, they were willing to trade quite a bit of capital for someone with only one full-year of college, at North Dakota State for that matter (no disrespect to NDSU, they have churned out a decent amount of NFL talent lately IIRC, but we're still not talking about a big school).  If I'm an NFL team, I'm not taking Lance for what he is now but what I think he could develop into.  I get that things change when you get to the league but if you are willing to make that trade, then I would think you would be willing to pick up his 5th-year option even without seeing him play much.  

You all are probably right and they do stick with Lance.  It probably makes the most sense.  I'd just be a bit weary having my Super Bowl aspirations be largely dependent on a raw QB coming off a season-ending ankle injury, a QB who needs the practice time and development as much as the next guy considering he's lost 2 of his last 3 years.  To be fair though my opinion is a bit biased because I wasn't huge on Lance as a prospect to begin with.

It's a fair point about taking the swing on limited data set. Yin Yang brought up the Jimmy trade and contract. They made him the highest paid QB in the league after 5 games lol. So clearly the fifth year option wouldn't be a problem in that situation - they are okay with gambling. 

That said, I don't buy the rawness thing. So you sign Brady for a year and then you hand over the same team with all this talent to Lance in 2024? To what end? They have to go through this at some point if they are committed to Trey. If they aren't committed to Trey (and I think that would be a massive mea culpa given the lack of a sample and the acquisition cost....sunk cost fallacy is a thing for a reason), then everything is on the table 100%. But that's a pretty quick turnaround to decide you're out on a guy when you were aware it was going to take time anyway and he's been given such a small runway. He needs practice and development, but he has to play to get that. If you're not the starter, you also don't get starter reps in practice during the week. Especially with a couple of things he needs help with. The biggest, biggest, biggest flaw in his game right now is how long he holds on to the ball. That will not get better on the bench in my opinion and it is the one thing that could absolutely keep him from being an NFL starter. I mean, he needs to shave off like a half a second, which is absurdly high. 

This team mucked up the decision making of the QB spot when they took Lance given where the team was. I think they misfired and thought he was closer than he is. But you have to **** or get off the pot with him (which, in fairness to the organization, I do believe that they tried to do this year) and this kind of stuff is basically just delaying the inevitable one way or the other. 

Just now, MWil23 said:

@Forge can I interest you in a slightly used Baker Mayfield?

Cleveland Browns Football GIF

Given how little he costs, I'd be surprised if they didn't put in a claim just in case Purdy is awful. I think whomever claims him only pays like 2 million.

Don't think it's a great fit, but beggars can't be choosers

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Given how little he costs, I'd be surprised if they didn't put in a claim just in case Purdy is awful. I think whomever claims him only pays like 2 million.

Don't think it's a great fit, but beggars can't be choosers

He at least has some experience in a very similar system with Stefanski and a heavy volume run/play-action system with TE usage. If you're expecting him to move the chains on 3rd Down or in the 4th Quarter, however...LOL.

• Like 1

Some of you guys are really underselling how hard it is to be a QB in the NFL, strong roster or not. Maybe Purdy comes in and keeps the ship upright, but it is far from a given to even get replacement level play from a 7th round rookie going into the postseason.

I’d bring in Baker, if possible. If Purdy flames out after a couple weeks, at least you have somewhere to go next, as slim as those odds are.

• Like 2

49ers QB room right now is 7th round rookie Brock Purdy, and 36 year old Josh Johnson. If Baker is available, sign him. Doesn't have to start, but the 49ers are in a desperate situation, and any warm body that isn't over the hill, but has experience is beyond valuable now. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

12 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

27 passes is what got jimmy to the SB in 2019, of course Purdy will make mistakes. He looks a bit like heinecke, if he can play just 1 level below jimmy they should still be favorites in their first game and against MIN it’s a toss up 

It would take three games to get to the Super Bowl now though. That isn't ideal with a 7th round rookie. Maybe the 49ers can run roughshod on folks though. Mitchell coming back would help.