Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

7 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

My take on this is slightly different. Rodgers isn't really ripping Shefty and Rap about when he enters the darkness, I think that is such a minor element, it is a detail, to get upset about that and to make a point of it on the Pat Show is a bit OTT.

I think the real reason he is ripping them, is both in the last few days have mentioned that Green Bay is trying to trade Rodgers and is open for business. I think he is trying to discredit them as sources of information and hence the stories about being traded. If that is his intent or Green Bay's he doesn't want to allow that narrative in play and hence he is calling them out as reliable news reporters.

I find with Rodgers, like all of us do, he plays these word games to be clever. I remember when he got his new contract and before the figures were released he disputed the fact that it made him the highest paid QB and again made a big thing about it on the Pat Show, when in reality he did get his monster deal. Same with the whole vax immunization thing. 

The fact that he has acted so aggressively towards these reports over something so trivial as getting the date wrong on entering the darkness, just doesn't make any sense. 

I think he wants it to come off as Green Bay moved on from him, even if maybe he wants to move on as well? It's all about how he can come out looking good. Once again I just want a direction for the off season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toddfather said:

I think he wants it to come off as Green Bay moved on from him, even if maybe he wants to move on as well? It's all about how he can come out looking good. Once again I just want a direction for the off season.

I'm good with that, as long as we move on from him and we get some nice draft capital out of the deal, win/win. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm good with that, as long as we move on from him and we get some nice draft capital out of the deal, win/win. 

That's the delicate balance the Packers are trying to achieve.  I think our hopes for good compensation really take a hit if the Jets go hard after Derek Carr.  It seems the only real serious suitors are the Jets and Raiders, but perhaps a few others will enter the mix if things get real after darkness retreat b.s.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

That's the delicate balance the Packers are trying to achieve.  I think our hopes for good compensation really take a hit if the Jets go hard after Derek Carr.  It seems the only real serious suitors are the Jets and Raiders, but perhaps a few others will enter the mix if things get real after darkness retreat b.s.

I don't think the Jets will do anything until Rodgers comes out of his cave and sees his shadow. Then, when they know if he's available they will make a play. The owner seems pretty set on wanting Rodgers. 

Could be wrong but if Carr really wants to be a Jet, he may have to wait until the Rodgers thing plays out. 

I'm sticking with Rodgers ending up in Vegas. I was on that one first and believe it was always going to be his landing spot.

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That's an AWFUL contract comparison, no offense.  Tyrod Taylor was a middle-of-the-road QB when he was traded to Cleveland.  He had thrown just over 1200 passes, and his best year by ANY/A was his first season starting.  He was a very low-end starter, high-end backup QB.  Just for comparison, that $15.5M AAV would rank as the 14th highest in the NFL last year among QBs slightly above Tom Brady.  He effectively would have made Jameis Winston money.  That's an awful contract to agree to if you're Jordan Love.

I don't see how a player who hasn't played as a starter is worth much more though.  Not a deal I'd sign as Love, but it would be hard to offer much more to him RIGHT NOW.

Point being, a lot is gonna change for his situation based on how he plays.  Either he'll be worth a lot more, or he'll be offered a middle of the road backup deal, maybe with incentives for starting - aka a lot less than the tyrod deal.

I don’t want to get into another “is AR12 an ahole or not?” debate, but it really is remarkable how the pre-draft reports on him going way back to 2004/2005 were basically correct. He should have been the 1st overall pick, but those little nitpicks about his personality were incredibly on the mark. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I don't see how a player who hasn't played as a starter is worth much more though.  Not a deal I'd sign as Love, but it would be hard to offer much more to him RIGHT NOW.

Point being, a lot is gonna change for his situation based on how he plays.  Either he'll be worth a lot more, or he'll be offered a middle of the road backup deal, maybe with incentives for starting - aka a lot less than the tyrod deal.

That's my point.  There's no reason for Jordan Love to even consider anything that doesn't hit that low-end starting QB treshold.  Or at least gets close to it.  I mean, I'd break down QB tiers as the following:

$43M+/year - Elite QB Money
$35M/year to $43M/year - Great QB Money
$29.5M/year to $35M/year - Average QB Money

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

But when you look at the AAV, you see a drastic drop-off from Ryan Tannehill at $29.5M (13th highest paid QB) and Jameis Winston at $14M (15th highest paid QB).  After Winston, you've essentially got Marcus Mariota and a slew of guys on rookie contracts after them.  Then you get into fringe starter, high-end backup QB money with Mitchell Trubisky at $7.1M/year.  At the end of the day, there's no reason for Jordan Love to even consider a deal that doesn't push towards that low-end starting QB money.

7 hours ago, Isherwood said:

I don’t want to get into another “is AR12 an ahole or not?” debate, but it really is remarkable how the pre-draft reports on him going way back to 2004/2005 were basically correct. He should have been the 1st overall pick, but those little nitpicks about his personality were incredibly on the mark. 

Yes, and in hindsight every team that passed on him, other than maybe 5 teams, would have drafted him in a second. 

https://packersnotes.com/2023/02/15/why-would-rodgers-want-to-leave/

Why Would Rodgers Want To Leave?

According to a report from NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, who’s as plugged into the Packers as any member of the media, the organization is willing to trade quarterback Aaron Rodgers if he wants out. That begs the question, why would he?

If Rodgers decides to make a list of pros and cons in regard to staying with the Packers for another season while on his four-day darkness retreat, it’s difficult to imagine the con list taking very long to write. In fact, it might be challenging for him to come up with a single reason to leave the franchise he’s been with since George W. Bush occupied the White House.

The following are three reasons why Rodgers – if the choice is truly his – could still be wearing green and yellow come September:

1) WINNING

Unless GM Brian Gutekunst is willing to trade Rodgers to the 49ers, which seems highly unlikely, it’s hard to see how his path to the Super Bowl would be clearer away from Green Bay. While an argument could be made that the Raiders or Jets with Rodgers would be marginally better than the Packers with Rodgers, any small advantage in talent would be negated by playing in the other conference. The Raiders have to deal with the Chiefs, Chargers, and Broncos with new head coach Sean Payton in their own division, while the Jets have to compete against the Bills, Dolphins, and Patriots. Just getting to the playoffs would be a challenge, and then the Bengals, Ravens, and upstart Jaguars would probably be waiting.

The competition in the NFC is not nearly as formidable. While the Vikings and Lions are pretty good, the North would be extremely winnable should Rodgers stay in Green Bay. With a third-place schedule and some fortuitous bounces of the ball, it’s not far-fetched to see the Packers going 10-7 next season, which would almost certainly be good enough to get into the playoffs, and aside from Philly and San Francisco, what other teams would present a daunting challenge in January?

The point is, while the odds of Rodgers getting to next year’s Super Bowl with the Packers aren’t good, they’re no worse than his odds of getting to the Super Bowl with another franchise, be it the Raiders, Jets, Titans, Colts, Commanders, etc.

2) POWER

How much control does Rodgers wield in Green Bay? Put it this way; it’s a mild surprise that the iconic G on the team’s helmet hasn’t been replaced by a photo of the 39-year-old’s face. Ever since his evisceration of Gutekunst at the start of training camp in 2021, Rodgers has pretty much gotten whatever he wanted. That includes trading for washed-up wide receiver Randall Cobb, re-signing ancient tight end Marcedes Lewis, hiring assistant coach Tom Clements, skipping all voluntary minicamps and OTAs, and agreeing to one of the most player-friendly contract extensions in the history of the NFL.

And that’s just off the field. Rodgers exerts nearly as much control on Sunday afternoons in the fall and winter. Despite head coach Matt LaFleur being hired due in large part to his supposed innovativeness as a designer and caller of plays, the Packers offense has looked more McCarthyian than Shanahanian or McVayian the past few seasons. That’s because the person being paid over $50 million per year prefers being in shotgun formation and doesn’t like having receivers in motion.

Would Rodgers have power elsewhere? Of course. His talent and resume’ guarantee that he’d be more than just another player. That said, no GM besides Gutekunst is going to cede to his every demand, and no head coach besides LaFleur is going to be quite so subservient. For example, you can be certain that Joe Douglas of the Jets won’t be trading for Cobb and/or signing Lewis, and you can be equally as sure that Josh McDaniel of the Raiders, who wasn’t afraid to get in Tom Brady’s face during their 13 years together in New England, won’t be scrapping his offensive philosophy just to placate Rodgers.

3) PRESSURE

I covered Buddy Ryan’s Eagles several decades ago and vividly recall members of the media literally fighting to ask a question at press conferences. In Green Bay, sycophantic bloggers are allowed to throw softball questions at players, coaches, and front-office executives. Even when Rodgers faces a rare difficult question, there’s almost never a follow-up. And since the legendary Bob McGinn retired from the Jornal Sentinel a few years ago, critical articles are few and far between.

If Rodgers gets traded to the Jets and then comes up small in the playoffs, the New York press would rip him to shreds. And not just for a few days but for multiple months. The words choke and disappointment – in 60-point font – would be plastered across every newspaper in the city and be uttered from the mouths of the seemingly 10,000 people who host a sports talk show. That would be jarring for an athlete who’s been treated with kid gloves for the past decade and a half.

For all the stupid things he’s said in recent years, Rodgers is smart enough to know how good he has it in little Green Bay, Wisconsin. While growing tired of his schtick, most fans still revere him, and he’s forged good relationships with the small number of reporters who cover the team on a daily basis. Does he really want to deal with a bigger and far less cordial media at this point in his career, especially if the odds of winning a title aren’t going to be substantially better?

IN CONCLUSION: I’ve thought for weeks that the odds of Rodgers returning were 50-50, but if Rapoport’s report is accurate, it might be a good idea to hold off buying a Jordan Love jersey. If the choice is truly his own, it’s difficult to imagine the man who’s been a Packer for the past 18 years not sticking around for at least one more season. Rodgers has it good in Green Bay, and if nobody is going to nudge him out the door, why would he voluntarily open it and walk away?

Edited by FAH1223
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, FAH1223 said:

https://packersnotes.com/2023/02/15/why-would-rodgers-want-to-leave/

Why Would Rodgers Want To Leave?

According to a report from NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, who’s as plugged into the Packers as any member of the media, the organization is willing to trade quarterback Aaron Rodgers if he wants out. That begs the question, why would he?

If Rodgers decides to make a list of pros and cons in regard to staying with the Packers for another season while on his four-day darkness retreat, it’s difficult to imagine the con list taking very long to write. In fact, it might be challenging for him to come up with a single reason to leave the franchise he’s been with since George W. Bush occupied the White House.

The following are three reasons why Rodgers – if the choice is truly his – could still be wearing green and yellow come September:

1) WINNING

Unless GM Brian Gutekunst is willing to trade Rodgers to the 49ers, which seems highly unlikely, it’s hard to see how his path to the Super Bowl would be clearer away from Green Bay. While an argument could be made that the Raiders or Jets with Rodgers would be marginally better than the Packers with Rodgers, any small advantage in talent would be negated by playing in the other conference. The Raiders have to deal with the Chiefs, Chargers, and Broncos with new head coach Sean Payton in their own division, while the Jets have to compete against the Bills, Dolphins, and Patriots. Just getting to the playoffs would be a challenge, and then the Bengals, Ravens, and upstart Jaguars would probably be waiting.

The competition in the NFC is not nearly as formidable. While the Vikings and Lions are pretty good, the North would be extremely winnable should Rodgers stay in Green Bay. With a third-place schedule and some fortuitous bounces of the ball, it’s not far-fetched to see the Packers going 10-7 next season, which would almost certainly be good enough to get into the playoffs, and aside from Philly and San Francisco, what other teams would present a daunting challenge in January?

The point is, while the odds of Rodgers getting to next year’s Super Bowl with the Packers aren’t good, they’re no worse than his odds of getting to the Super Bowl with another franchise, be it the Raiders, Jets, Titans, Colts, Commanders, etc.

2) POWER

How much control does Rodgers wield in Green Bay? Put it this way; it’s a mild surprise that the iconic G on the team’s helmet hasn’t been replaced by a photo of the 39-year-old’s face. Ever since his evisceration of Gutekunst at the start of training camp in 2021, Rodgers has pretty much gotten whatever he wanted. That includes trading for washed-up wide receiver Randall Cobb, re-signing ancient tight end Marcedes Lewis, hiring assistant coach Tom Clements, skipping all voluntary minicamps and OTAs, and agreeing to one of the most player-friendly contract extensions in the history of the NFL.

And that’s just off the field. Rodgers exerts nearly as much control on Sunday afternoons in the fall and winter. Despite head coach Matt LaFleur being hired due in large part to his supposed innovativeness as a designer and caller of plays, the Packers offense has looked more McCarthyian than Shanahanian or McVayian the past few seasons. That’s because the person being paid over $50 million per year prefers being in shotgun formation and doesn’t like having receivers in motion.

Would Rodgers have power elsewhere? Of course. His talent and resume’ guarantee that he’d be more than just another player. That said, no GM besides Gutekunst is going to cede to his every demand, and no head coach besides LaFleur is going to be quite so subservient. For example, you can be certain that Joe Douglas of the Jets won’t be trading for Cobb and/or signing Lewis, and you can be equally as sure that Josh McDaniel of the Raiders, who wasn’t afraid to get in Tom Brady’s face during their 13 years together in New England, won’t be scrapping his offensive philosophy just to placate Rodgers.

3) PRESSURE

I covered Buddy Ryan’s Eagles several decades ago and vividly recall members of the media literally fighting to ask a question at press conferences. In Green Bay, sycophantic bloggers are allowed to throw softball questions at players, coaches, and front-office executives. Even when Rodgers faces a rare difficult question, there’s almost never a follow-up. And since the legendary Bob McGinn retired from the Jornal Sentinel a few years ago, critical articles are few and far between.

If Rodgers gets traded to the Jets and then comes up small in the playoffs, the New York press would rip him to shreds. And not just for a few days but for multiple months. The words choke and disappointment – in 60-point font – would be plastered across every newspaper in the city and be uttered from the mouths of the seemingly 10,000 people who host a sports talk show. That would be jarring for an athlete who’s been treated with kid gloves for the past decade and a half.

For all the stupid things he’s said in recent years, Rodgers is smart enough to know how good he has it in little Green Bay, Wisconsin. While growing tired of his schtick, most fans still revere him, and he’s forged good relationships with the small number of reporters who cover the team on a daily basis. Does he really want to deal with a bigger and far less cordial media at this point in his career, especially if the odds of winning a title aren’t going to be substantially better?

IN CONCLUSION: I’ve thought for weeks that the odds of Rodgers returning were 50-50, but if Rapoport’s report is accurate, it might be a good idea to hold off buying a Jordan Love jersey. If the choice is truly his own, it’s difficult to imagine the man who’s been a Packer for the past 18 years not sticking around for at least one more season. Rodgers has it good in Green Bay, and if nobody is going to nudge him out the door, why would he voluntarily open it and walk away?

Exactly, if the Packers are willing to let Rodgers decide, it says a lot about Jordan Love.  

Edited by NFLGURU

Who has confirmed that the Packers are "letting" him to decide?   Oh he's got some sway here with that decision obviously, but not completely.  The front office starts by telling him Cobb is gone, either or both of Lewis and Tonyan gone, Crosby, Lazard, Jones possibly gone.  Suddenly, the paradigm changes for the old man.  The front office holds a lot of sway here too, and it's time they attempt to take back their team.

I don't think power is an issue.  Rodg might have more and certainly as much on the field as he will here in the future.

Winning?  He hasn't been able to in here when it counts in over a decade.  In the real near future, it won't become more likely here.  Jets, Titans, Raiders not a big down slide,  Raiders so because cap wise they can spend all around him.

Pressure?   If old Rodg can't take the pressure he needs to hang it up.  Time to become a big boy Rodg.

13 hours ago, Isherwood said:

Yep. Rodgers, to his credit, is probably the single solitary example of personality/leadership concerns didn’t negate the talent.

He was (and is) so enormously talented that it camouflaged those toxic traits.

Just remember though… He wasn’t capable of making it to the Super Bowl once in his career. Dreadful, awful, awful, awful championship game saved by Cutler’s injury and BJ Raji.

• Like 1

I don't think the Packers are "letting" ol Rodg do anything.  Or in the least they shouldn't be.  Both sides have a contract to legally honor, as bad a contract for the team that it was.  The Packers have to honor it until they have a better alternative.  Determining what that alternative is something the team should have already done.  Now they have to proceed while honoring their obligation to the player.