Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

54 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm not sure I'd come away with that when I said in there multiple times moving to Love is likely the right decision and I didn't just say his political opinions.

Many have just made disliking Rodgers like their entire fan identity and its getting old to constanly hear about it to the point i'd almost enjoy him coming back and doing well. Obviosuly the best scenario is we trade him and Love is good.

You make perfect sense. I think some of the people perhaps relate a bit to who you're talking about. You've made excellent points about honestly most people, including most people in the forum. They want to see him fail as a human and they don't want to just own that, which is the most terrible "take" of all.

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

You make perfect sense. I think some of the people perhaps relate a bit to who you're talking about. You've made excellent points about honestly most people, including most people in the forum. They want to see him fail as a human and they don't want to just own that, which is the most terrible "take" of all.

I don't think "most" people on this forum want to see him fail as a person.  Like at all.

I feel like Rodgers is so different from many of us that it is hard for us to relate to him.  And to be fair?  It's probably vice versa as well.  He's California.  I'm Wisconsin.  Two different areas to be raised in.  But I know that I do not begrudge Rodgers for his lifestyle....darnkness retreats, that hallucinogenic drug he took that I can't spell....etc.

I can tell you that I do not like how smug he is and how he tries to out-think the media.  The vaccination thing being one of them.  

As far as a human goes, he's never really been in trouble off the field.  He's a 4X MVP, he's won a Super Bowl here.  He's been a great Packer.

He's also most recently, choked in big games.  He doesn't like throwing across the middle.  He takes sacks on 4'th downs in critical situations and he seems to run his own offense and not what our coach wants to do.  He did not take part of OTA's this past season and it hurt his chemistry with the young WR's.  Sometimes his body language on the field is terrible.

This is Aaron Rodgers.  Love him, hate him or be indifferent of him.  He will go down as one of the best ever at his position in the NFL.  He will be one of the greatest all time Packers.  And that doesn't mean that it isn't time to move on from him, if you are doing what is best for the franchise.

He's a complicated fella, and his whole situation right now is not really complicated.

If he is back under center, it means that our front office lacks the courage to move forward.  Because that is what is best for the franchise.

As a fan?  I'll root for him if he is here, but I know how the movie ends.  If he is elsewhere?  I'll root for him as long as he isn't playing us.  But really, I've grown tired with how he's played in big games and feel like it is time to turn the page. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I don't think "most" people on this forum want to see him fail as a person.  Like at all.

We'll just agree to disagree on that. They legit do IMO. The angry mob has said some pretty darn irrational stuff in his direction IMO while defending true scumbags time and time again. But I'll accept the meat of what you're saying, which is that you don't want him to fail as a human. I'm glad to hear that.

I feel like Rodgers is so different from many of us that it is hard for us to relate to him.  And to be fair?  It's probably vice versa as well.  He's California.  I'm Wisconsin.  Two different areas to be raised in.  But I know that I do not begrudge Rodgers for his lifestyle....darnkness retreats, that hallucinogenic drug he took that I can't spell....etc.

Being from California myself, I'll tell you it's not really a California thing. His beliefs tend to go against your average Californians beliefs much more than your average Midwesterner's. I'm not talking bigger city Wisconsin's/Minnesota's, which are their in their own bubble differing from a lot of the area around.

The majority of football fans, no matter where they're from, believe what the government says is true. That's the entirety of the discussion around of the reason most truly despise him. I would argue there was no way to get out of the immunity conversation for him other than to go full Kyrie--kind of a rock and a hard place kind of deal. But I agree he handled it poorly.

All the points about body language, coming off a bit excessively scholarly etc. are valid points but also have next to nothing to do with the animosity we're seeing in his direction. 

I can tell you that I do not like how smug he is and how he tries to out-think the media.  The vaccination thing being one of them.  

Counterpoint: **** the media. They're absolute trash and should not be a gossip column attempting to pry personal medical information.

As far as a human goes, he's never really been in trouble off the field.  He's a 4X MVP, he's won a Super Bowl here.  He's been a great Packer.

He's also most recently, choked in big games.  He doesn't like throwing across the middle.  He takes sacks on 4'th downs in critical situations and he seems to run his own offense and not what our coach wants to do.  He did not take part of OTA's this past season and it hurt his chemistry with the young WR's.  Sometimes his body language on the field is terrible.

This is Aaron Rodgers.  Love him, hate him or be indifferent of him.  He will go down as one of the best ever at his position in the NFL.  He will be one of the greatest all time Packers.  And that doesn't mean that it isn't time to move on from him, if you are doing what is best for the franchise.

He's a complicated fella, and his whole situation right now is not really complicated.

If he is back under center, it means that our front office lacks the courage to move forward.  Because that is what is best for the franchise.

As a fan?  I'll root for him if he is here, but I know how the movie ends.  If he is elsewhere?  I'll root for him as long as he isn't playing us.  But really, I've grown tired with how he's played in big games and feel like it is time to turn the page. 

This is how I wish everyone else would look at him (i.e., objectively). He is one of the greats, still playing around top-10 even now, and yet he's a Disney villain because he didn't take the jab and got corners & made a dumb evasion response.  Trying my best to not actually discuss any of that so won't say more. But the whole pitchfork stuff is silly to me by folks on ff and everywhere else. It's clearly a witch-hunt.

• Like 2

It is not a witch hunt at all.  I give him kudo's for not bowing blindly to the storm trooper power structure by not taking the poke in the arm.  It's proven now to have been the correct decision, but even as a somewhat unknown it is a personal decision to be made by each citizen.  I also do not blame him for maneuvering for himself that bloated overpaid contract he has, that I blame the two fools at the top for who gave it to him.

In reality what is to be regretted is the deal in itself, not the player.  He is what he is at this point, and he got himself a whopper of a contract and lots of power with it.  I said it was a horrific deal then, and it is proven now.  The answer isn't so much to move away from Ol Rodg, it's to move away from that very bad deal right now.  To take your whipping and start healing the welts, right now.  The really sad thing for the organization is the opportunity cost, and that's not talked about enough.  The amount of treasure we could have got for him.  Now, you take what you can get and begin the cap healing process while starting the new era.

Edited by 15412
  • Like 2

Damnit, this is going to go back to COVID etc and its probably my fault. 

My point was more half jokingly that I'd think it was hilarious at this point if he came back and somehow won a superbowl because some people hate him for non-football reasons they basically want to see him fail to somehow prove themselves right.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I think Rodgers is going to try like hell to stay.  He may offer to restructure his contract as best they can.    Will the Packers have the nads to tell him its time?

I suspect he wants to stay too.  He has repeatedly said he wants to retire a Packer.  A lot of folks are assuming the Packers want to move on with Love at this time.  This is the million dollar question.  

20 hours ago, Leader said:

New York Post -  Newly selected Hall of Famer Joe Klecko doubled down on his Aaron Rodgers thoughts — which he originally revealed to The Post’s Steve Serby — in an interview Wednesday with CBS Sports Radio’s “Zach Gelb Show.”

Klecko doesn’t see Rodgers as a fit with the Jets because of the franchise’s youth, and he said that in Green Bay, when Rodgers “didn’t have the perfect arrangement,” his approach became condescending to some of the surrounding players.

“I see a guy like [Derek] Carr, who is an All-Pro,” Klecko told Gelb. “He hasn’t been an MVP, but he has had some great years. I just can’t see them going after a guy that has had all his years and had his way. And then, when it doesn’t turn out his way, he goes dark. I just can’t see it.”

When pushed by Gelb, asking if he could see Rodgers ruining the Jets’ locker room, Klecko responded with an emphatic “absolutely.”

Except for a couple of former teammates I have never heard a negative word about him as a teammates from his peers.  

• Like 2

Two questions:

Does anyone actually give a crap about the immunized things? I have a way larger issue with things that matter: Compensation and opportunity for Jordan Love. It’s obvious that’s enough to have a desire to move on from a numbers and future standpoint. 

If Rodgers comes out of radio silence and takes a pay cut while announcing this is definitely his last season does everyone move forward chasing a ring while prepping Love?

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Hundo P.

He's increasingly flawed as a football player which is the reason anything else matters to GB fans.

On top of that, he's increasingly unlikeable based on off-the-field variables. For me, the worst of these are the football related ones which, IMO, lead to the first issue.

I'm pretty confident that the VAST majority of fans feel exactly this. I've met a LOT of GB fans ready to move on from him, sick of him, etc. Not a single one wants to see him fail.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Hundo P.

He's increasingly flawed as a football player which is the reason anything else matters to GB fans.

On top of that, he's increasingly unlikeable based on off-the-field variables. For me, the worst of these are the football related ones which, IMO, lead to the first issue.

I'm pretty confident that the VAST majority of fans feel exactly this. I've met a LOT of GB fans ready to move on from him, sick of him, etc. Not a single one wants to see him fail.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Two questions:

Does anyone actually give a crap about the immunized things? I have a way larger issue with things that matter: Compensation and opportunity for Jordan Love. It’s obvious that’s enough to have a desire to move on from a numbers and future standpoint. 

If Rodgers comes out of radio silence and takes a pay cut while announcing this is definitely his last season does everyone move forward chasing a ring while prepping Love?

1st off, no, nobody should.  

On the 2nd note the team is better off moving him in my opinion IF they can get some real return.  Not near what we could have gained in the past of course, but real return.  Otherwise if we could not get that real return and Ol Rodg was willing to tear up the deal and sign something very team friendly of course Packer fans would be behind it.  It's ALL about what is best for the team, and the bloated terrible deal he was signed to needs to be dealt with.

if the packers want to move him, they will.

They will be able to find a suitable landing spot for Rodgers.  Hopefully they make some team pay a LOT to land him, but if they really do want to move on and Rodgers wants to play even outside GB - then they can make it happen.

Only other 2 things worth considering are if Rodgers wants to play, but only for GB. 

Then would the packers roll with him over Love in 2023?  And if not, will Rodgers retire or change his mind and accept a trade after being forced out.

Just now, incognito_man said:

Hundo P.

That's not accurate. Much of the dislike towards him over non football issues started during his first MVP season when he recently won them back to back.  That was even before the NFC championships loss and less than stellar playoff game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

if the packers want to move him, they will.

They will be able to find a suitable landing spot for Rodgers.  Hopefully they make some team pay a LOT to land him, but if they really do want to move on and Rodgers wants to play even outside GB - then they can make it happen.

Only other 2 things worth considering are if Rodgers wants to play, but only for GB. 

Then would the packers roll with him over Love in 2023?  And if not, will Rodgers retire or change his mind and accept a trade after being forced out.

I hope you're right about trade partners and return.  I have my doubts.

If Rodg is back on this team, he will start.  No doubt in my mind.  

7 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Two questions:

The only things I care about are the things that affect football. 

His Covid stance had an impact on football (missing additional time if you are anti-science), but it's relatively minor compared to bigger issues with him (skipping OTAs, forcing his way into bad team personnel moves, playing selfishly vs within coaches' scheme, allowing his ego to supercede team success).

• Like 2