Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm sure this is part of Aaron's decision process. He knows the stipulations and what GB can do for next years roster. I imagine we'd welcome him back if he takes a paycut and guarantees that he'll be apart of all the offseason program (so long as they've determined Love will accept one more year of backup work). 

He also knows we're open to trading him if he determines he wants that, so he's going to hear the plan for NY and LV and compare them to ours. Wonder how much leeway they give him due to their QB desperation. 

Either way I'd expect the news to break here in the next 48 hrs.  

I may riot if Rodgers figures out a way to stay in GB.  

• Like 1

Agree with notes that Jets would seem an ideal landscape for Rodgers.  Better defense than he's had in Green Bay since the Super Bowl.  Lots of talent, their receiver group is better than what we've had here for a lot of recent years.  The learning curve wouldn't be overwhelming, with Hackett.  Hackett lets his QB's do whatever they want, so Rodgers would like that, too.  

Seems a good fit for Gute, too.  Big-market Jets know they've got talent but need a QB, so I'd think they'd be pretty all-in Nowacrat.  So if anybody might be motivated to give Gute an anti-awful offer, I can't imagine anybody more motivated than the Jets.  

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Very strong is a bit green and gold glasses while sipping green and gold Kool Aid. 

There is a likelihood that exists, it is not strong. Not like Baker Mayfield was our QB last year.  

Hey if we can't be irrationally optimistic then what's the point of hanging out here.

I'm still convinced Micah Abernathy is going to turn around our secondary next year

• Like 1

The trade compensation in all of this is easy. It's not hard to work out compensation, I don't doubt that it's already done. The contract is the sticking point in anything like this. The Jets take on a meager cap hit, so that's fine, but do they pay all 60m of the cash? How much of it do the Packers take? It does nothing to our cap, but you're paying millions in what is essentially a buyout. So that's all going to the expense category with nothing returning to the sales end. Let's face it, for 2023 Jordan Love is making the Packers far less revenue than Rodgers would. We'll be on primetime less, and unless Love starts out of the gate roaring, I doubt he'll be close to as marketable until he establishes himself. 

Basically it comes down to, you're buying draft capital, how much is it worth to you and how much is it worth to the Jets ? 

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

My sources are telling the Jets trade is done. Just working out Rodgers' contract. 

The deal is Rodger and a 5th this year for Denzel Mims, a 1st this year and a 2nd next year which could turn into a 1st if certain playing time conditions are met. 

Will bookmark this. Return seems spot on, actually do I'm wondering if you actually have some sort of source haha

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Disagree.

There's a lot of player growth I can see happening. Our OL sucked and was missing healthy Bakh and Jenkins much of the year. Our rookie WRs are now in year 2. I think we're going to add more to the pass catching room as well. 

I think our defense finally turned a corner with Barry and logically think there's going to be growth there, too.

I think Love, playing within the MLF offense, can be more efficient and productive than Rodgers doing his own thing in 2022. 

This team will have a completely different identity under Love. And I think that will be a positive.

It doesn't feel homeristic whatsoever to think we're better than 8-9 with Love. It's very pessimistic to believe otherwise IMO.

I'm specifically going off of Love being better than Rodgers, there's so many other factors our record than just the QB, that is totally possible we could be better. Love could play better than Aaron did last year, but very likely is way too strong of wording. 

I do think Vegas is correct though, the Packers are not a SB contender in Love's first year. playoff contender yes. 

9 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Rewatch the first packers lions game last year and tell me baker mayfield + 30 million dollars doesnt win that game 

Rodgers was awful last year.  Does everyone realize that #12 hasn't thrown for 300 yards in his last 22 games.  That's unbelievable.  We got to get this guy out of here.

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm not though lol

You said "we all". I didn't.

I think there's a very strong likelihood that 2023 Love is better than 2022 Rodgers and the 2023 Packers are better than the 2022 Packers.

We would be very fortunate if Love in 2023 is equal to Rodgers is 2022.

Very fortunate.  3695 yards.  26 TD's.  12 Ints.

No green font necessary.

I don't get this notion that our 2023 team is better than the 2022 team or that somehow our rookies from last year are all going to take steps forward.

First off, all other teams have young players that can develop too.  This is not unique to GB.

I just went through 2 drafts.  Didn't see much in the way of progressions forward.  No reason to think this past draft class will be different in that regard.

green font...again...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm specifically going off of Love being better than Rodgers, there's so many other factors our record than just the QB, that is totally possible we could be better. Love could play better than Aaron did last year, but very likely is way too strong of wording. 

I do think Vegas is correct though, the Packers are not a SB contender in Love's first year. playoff contender yes. 

It's neat you share his opinion. I'm sticking with mine that Love, running MLFs offense, will be a more efficient QB in 2023, with his surrounding cast, than Rodgers was doing his own thing, with a bad thumb, in 2022.

And in the NFC, that's going to be good enough with the expected improvement in our defense to be a contender if we are fortunate with injuries (like every other contender also needs).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Man, I do not want to touch the Bakh deal, do you?  I mean, I get it, cap space is cap space, but he's kind of the last contract I'd want to touch.  Pay as you go is how I'd play it with him and that deal.

If it were only a case of trying to be more active in this year’s free agency, I would probably leave it be. But if it is the difference between being able to trade Rodgers & not trade him (ie: the trade partner demands that we eat some of his contract), I wouldn’t have a problem doing it. You’d still be able to get out of the Bak deal next year (assuming he gets a max restructure this year, 2024 savings from a cut/trade would probably be 10m pre-June1st, or 17.5m post-June1st). For the Rodgers trade, I don’t want to have to settle for chump-change like we did with Favre’s trade.

On the other hand, I guess there are other ways to go about getting the cap savings. We could trade Bak, which would give 5.6m savings, and even more draft assets. Probably makes us weaker in 2023, but if you figure we won’t be a contender in Love’s yr1 anyways, we could do it. 

Bak still played at a high level last year, and I feel comfortable he can give us (or someone else) at least 1 more. 

Cap hits for the trade partner would be 17.2m in 2023 (which would rank #18 for OT) and 20.7m in 2024. 

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Disagree.

There's a lot of player growth I can see happening. Our OL sucked and was missing healthy Bakh and Jenkins much of the year. Our rookie WRs are now in year 2. I think we're going to add more to the pass catching room as well. 

I think our defense finally turned a corner with Barry and logically think there's going to be growth there, too.

I think Love, playing within the MLF offense, can be more efficient and productive than Rodgers doing his own thing in 2022. 

This team will have a completely different identity under Love. And I think that will be a positive.

It doesn't feel homeristic whatsoever to think we're better than 8-9 with Love. It's very pessimistic to believe otherwise IMO.

Rookie growth:  How much growth have we seen from Dillon, Deguara and Runyan?

Do other teams not have rookies and young players who also can "grow"?

Barry turned a corner prior to 2022 as well.  Then went back to his old ways.  Why would this year be any different?

How can a team with a first year starter on offense have any identity?  That has to be earned over time.  

I'll concede MFL and an offense run under center.  Could be a positive.

9 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

Hey if we can't be irrationally optimistic then what's the point of hanging out here.

I'm still convinced Micah Abernathy is going to turn around our secondary next year

There is the small detail that Abernathy is a member of the Falcons.