Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

But what you suggest would mean sliding more of the cap hit to the front of the contract rather than it being spread out. Which seems like the opposite of what the Jets want. They are pretty tight on 2023 cap. 

unless you are saying AR might take a straight-up pay cut on a rewritten deal. 

If traded, Rodgers and NYJ could redo the a contract that has any level of variation vs the current contract. 

Could be fully guaranteed for same average per yera/ total dollar value.  Bonus due at different time point in the season to soften the cash needed upfront, etc, etc

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If traded, Rodgers and NYJ could redo the a contract that has any level of variation vs the current contract. 

Could be fully guaranteed for same average per yera/ total dollar value.  Bonus due at different time point in the season to soften the cash needed upfront, etc, etc

The point is, whatever portion of cap hit is in the future accelerates to the current year once he is off the team (ie. 2025). No way around that. 

38 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Football is a lot more about attitude and mentality than people here accept.

You look at teams like the Chiefs who just won and their defense played like an elite defense in critical moments. They don’t have a lot of talent.

Football teams are a direct reflection of their personalities and leadership.

My bet is Chris Jones is a man among men not only physically, but mentally as well. Him and at least one more player on defense, all led by Mahomes, who is legit one tough SOB.

Rodgers is not that, he’s never been that, he will never be that.

Love might not be the guy, but next year people here won’t recognize the Packers as a team anymore. For better or worse. I suspect for better. We might not win as many games, but we’re going to go out with a completely different attitude.

Very astute Outpost and correct.  Team chemistry, leadership, and attitude have a lot to do with success.  I'm thinking Love is going to be pretty good.  He's finally ready.  We have some guys Walker and Wyatt that's the future on D. Clark is a bad man too.  It will be really fun to watch the Packers next year.  They will be a tougher team for sure.  

18 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Like Schefter said, the Jets might be out there trying to talk Rodgers out of retiring.  

Schefter throws that retirement angle out every time. I think, as a way to genuflect to AR (supposedly) having all the leverage.

I dont think anybody thinks AR wants to retire - or believes him when he offers it as one of his options.

I think the Packers have more than subtly told AR they're over him and he can either come back to an organization that doesnt want him anymore - or he can cut a deal with a team that does want him.

All conjecture and reading of tea leaves on my part.

I'm hoping he cuts a deal with NY and we can turn the page.

• Like 1

Imagine calling a team that gave up 35 points an elite defense at times.  because they... only gave up 3 in the 3rd quarter?  Or maybe they are elite because they play on Patrick Mahomes' and Andy Reid's offensive team?  But if you say some rah rah words and get lucky that you're on the best offense then somehow you're also a big part of winning culture?  Hehll nah.  That defense got lucky they were the ones playing with Mahomes not against him. 

They forced one turnover and were the only reason that the chiefs didn't blow the eagles out of the stadium.  Total outcome oriented thinking combined with terrible results so I don't even know what to call it.

41 minutes ago, craig said:

I hope that offense thrives.  But I admit I also worry that could be a really bad, boring offense?  Lots of predictable runs behind a mediocre run-block line, into defenses anticipating predictable runs?  Lots of 3rd downs and 3rd-down pressure on a first-year QB?   Lots of punts, putting our soft defense on the field often?  Lots of half-time deficits, with MLF telling TV reporter "gotta keep trying to get the run-game going".  Lots of 4th-quarter deficits for a 1st-year QB then trying to force it?  

Or not, maybe our run game will suddenly be really good?  And maybe Love will be scrambling out of trouble and making plays with his legs pretty often, both to extend plays and complete passes, or to run for first downs and keep drives alive?  Having some young legs could really help, I'd think...

Could see it being a feast or famine type of offense. Sort of in the mold of this past year before Watson/Doubs got healthy and playing time under their belts... growing pains. Looks awful for a quarter, then goes off for a few series, then stagnates off of miscommunication or just predictable play calling. Also you expect maturation of those guys on Offense, however new person throwing to them could throw that out a bit, tendency/comfortability wise.

Problem then is this time of year next year after an expected up and down year from the guy - extension - or 5th year option? Then what if after a year of tape on him, teams expose weaknesses and he looks like Carson Wentz. And we're back at square one, either with an expensive QB on a new deal, or a lame duck one with no other options. All the while we've wasted the cheap developmental years (and the draft to get him) of QB's that are the hallmark of the rookie wage era. Daniel ****ing jones just got paid for a mediocre 9-7-1 record. And people were bitching about Rodgers current deal?

Now some people on here have frequently brought up the 'health of the franchise' or other scenarios where they have a phobia of being legitimately awful (when you don't have a starting calibre QB), hence the succession theory on a QB before your current one is cooked. I frankly welcome that, and was waiting for it proper, post-Rodgers when, or if, he retired a Packer like Brees. This is all afterwords just entertainment. And I had liked the Rodgers story arc to this point as long as the team always put its best foot forward until that ran it's course... but they didn't.

Do I care if my favorite team, after a generational QB talent retires suddenly only musters 4-6 wins? No. Why would I. Those fears never entered my head, because I expected it. What I would then expect is a competent FO and coaching staff to retool and rebuild their team in the best manner possible, as we've seen enough start-up styled NFC teams do this past decade and change now with the Eagles re-booting this fast. I however do not think we have one, the board and management is comfortable with being comfortable. Because, why wouldn't they be?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Laces Out said:

Could see it being a feast or famine type of offense. Sort of in the mold of this past year before Watson/Doubs got healthy and playing time under their belts... growing pains. Looks awful for a quarter, then goes off for a few series, then stagnates off of miscommunication or just predictable play calling. Also you expect maturation of those guys on Offense, however new person throwing to them could throw that out a bit, tendency/comfortability wise.

Problem then is this time of year next year after an expected up and down year from the guy - extension - or 5th year option? Then what if after a year of tape on him, teams expose weaknesses and he looks like Carson Wentz. And we're back at square one, either with an expensive QB on a new deal, or a lame duck one with no other options. All the while we've wasted the cheap developmental years (and the draft to get him) of QB's that are the hallmark of the rookie wage era. Daniel ****ing jones just got paid for a mediocre 9-7-1 record. And people were bitching about Rodgers current deal?

Now some people on here have frequently brought up the 'health of the franchise' or other scenarios where they have a phobia of being legitimately awful (when you don't have a starting calibre QB), hence the succession theory on a QB before your current one is cooked. I frankly welcome that, and was waiting for it proper, post-Rodgers when, or if, he retired a Packer like Brees. This is all afterwords just entertainment. And I had liked the Rodgers story arc to this point as long as the team always put its best foot forward until that ran it's course... but they didn't.

Do I care if my favorite team, after a generational QB talent retires suddenly only musters 4-6 wins? No. Why would I. Those fears never entered my head, because I expected it. What I would then expect is a competent FO and coaching staff to retool and rebuild their team in the best manner possible, as we've seen enough start-up styled NFC teams do this past decade and change now with the Eagles re-booting this fast. I however do not think we have one, the board and management is comfortable with being comfortable. Because, why wouldn't they be?

Lets actually trade the guy first.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Imagine calling a team that gave up 35 points an elite defense at times.  because they... only gave up 3 in the 3rd quarter?  Or maybe they are elite because they play on Patrick Mahomes' and Andy Reid's offensive team?  But if you say some rah rah words and get lucky that you're on the best offense then somehow you're also a big part of winning culture?  Hehll nah.  That defense got lucky they were the ones playing with Mahomes not against him. 

They forced one turnover and were the only reason that the chiefs didn't blow the eagles out of the stadium.  Total outcome oriented thinking combined with terrible results so I don't even know what to call it.

Quote me, *****.

I said critical moments, *****.

And they did. They held the Eagles to 3 in the third quarter and 8 in the fourth.

Critical moments.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Totally possible. Knowing he'd unretire later this summer 

6 minutes ago, Laces Out said:

He could go full villain mode and retire, especially if he feels that disrespected. 

unless he takes a 'home town discount' to play elsewhere i won't consider him in villain mode.