Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

But if he were to go somewhere, I'll bet he wants somewhere warm and with low taxes.  In other words, he wants Brady's job.

Even if Rodgers wanted to go to Tampa Bay, I'm not sure how they're gonna be able to do so.  Tampa Bay is currently a projected $40.3M over the cap next year with no obvious cap casualties.  I believe the only way they could is if they restructured all their large contracts and then waited until June 1st to spread out Tom Brady's cap hit.  And I'm not even sure that last part is legal.

I think Rodgers has only one year left until he retires.  He stated he wanted to play to 40 and I think that will be his limit. Its up to him to decide where he wants it to be.  He has stated over and over again he wants to retire a Packer, but unless we get a good defensive coordinator that puts in a system that fits the strengths of our players more, I think we're in for another potentially long year.  He might want to bolt if he knows another team wants him that has a true shot at the title.  I'm thinking the 49'ers...maybe the Commanders and finally the Jets.

But in saying all that, I think he stays next year and retires at the end of next year.  Now if he did retire next year, could he restructure his contract and give the Packers some salary cap relief in 2024 and 2025?

3 hours ago, chefj85 said:

You’re misinformed. We eat quite a lot if we trade him. Only way we don’t is if the other team agrees to pay some of it.

We only eat new money if the option has already been selected.

If they trade him before the option is selected, the receiving team is responsible for his 2023 salary.

There's very unique factors in the contract that make an easy out for a trade. Probably Rodgers' idea I'd guess.

I think he's back in 2023 for another MVP year and the waters get muddied even more in 2024 🤣

I think there's a possibility that Brady finishes up in SF next year.  Garropolo  cant stay healthy and Lance is a big question mark.  Could Rodgers follow Brady in SF in 2024?

8 hours ago, Refugee said:

What’s Pittsburgh’s QB/cap situation?  I know he likes Tomlin and has an affinity for Pittsburgh tough guys since big Mac had a whole staff full of them. 

PIT currently has $6M of cap space for 2023. In my mind, a team making a run at signing Rodgers would need to have a minimum of $30M free, and already have a really good roster. I'm not sure PIT is in that boat.

10 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

But in saying all that, I think he stays next year and retires at the end of next year.  Now if he did retire next year, could he restructure his contract and give the Packers some salary cap relief in 2024 and 2025?

If he retires after the 2023 season, he would have to do so before his $47M option guarantees (a week after the Super Bowl). To do that, he'd have to file the retirement paperwork during the 2023 season, so no post June 1 splitting of cap hits. That would mean $59M of dead cap, all on the 2023 season. The $59 can't be restructured, it's all guaranteed. Given that we're already $2M over the cap, this figure is massive.

I know people are hopeful that Rodgers stays for one more year, but I just don't see it. This contract is full of guarantees (probably by Rodgers design) that basically require Rodgers to either leave now or stay until 2024 and maybe beyond.

Could Rodgers be extended beyond 2024 for cap relief? Not really, the contract already has void years on it that have set the stage for even larger cap hits.

EDIT: I think if a player retires after the season the cap hit goes to the next. So in your scenario, Rodgers plays for $31M in 2023 and carries a dead cap of $24M(signing)+$42M(option) = $66M, which could be split between 2024 and 2025, I think.

Edited by pgwingman
I'm an idiot

10 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

If he goes anywhere it will be San Fran.  He isn't going to some project team looking to build.   

SF has $7M in cap space. If you look at their top 10 contracts, there's not a lot of moveable deals that can free up space. I don't see SF as a real possibility if they have to gut the roster to afford him.

13 hours ago, chefj85 said:

Im getting tired of this conversation. 

Unless he retires, Rodgers is back in GB next year. I simply cannot fathom them making that trade and gutting the team to eat all that money.

The point of the thread isn't Rodgers doesn't want to be back in GB.

The point is to compare GB to any other destinations that could afford to sign Rodgers for 1-2 years.

GB faces another cash strapped offseason. No large free agents signings are coming. Cuts to the rosters have already been baked in, it's just a matter of who:

• if Zach Tom plays well down this stretch, Bakh is probably cut this offseason
  • Elgton Jenkins is a UFA
  • Cobb/Tonyan/Lazard are all UFA

If you're Rodgers, at what point does your desire to win outweigh your desire to play with the Packers for the rest of your career?

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Even if Rodgers wanted to go to Tampa Bay, I'm not sure how they're gonna be able to do so.  Tampa Bay is currently a projected $40.3M over the cap next year with no obvious cap casualties.  I believe the only way they could is if they restructured all their large contracts and then waited until June 1st to spread out Tom Brady's cap hit.  And I'm not even sure that last part is legal.

Cool.

My post said nothing about how it would work, rather where I think Rodgers would want to go.  Throw reality out the window, it was just a statement of what I think Rodgers would want most.  Better weather, lower taxes.  Add to it a team with good WR's and a good defense.  

23 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Cool.

My post said nothing about how it would work, rather where I think Rodgers would want to go.  Throw reality out the window, it was just a statement of what I think Rodgers would want most.  Better weather, lower taxes.  Add to it a team with good WR's and a good defense.  

I don't think Rodgers would want to inherit a Brady led team with all the comparisons that would ensue. I may be wrong though.

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

SF has $7M in cap space. If you look at their top 10 contracts, there's not a lot of moveable deals that can free up space. I don't see SF as a real possibility if they have to gut the roster to afford him.

Not sure where you're getting your cap numbers for SF. They currently have $14m for next year and could easily clear another $55m. Their cap situation is fantastic.