Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

5 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think if Aaron has to return the Packers should allow Love the chance to compete for the starting job.  Packers are coming off a crap season where Aaron turned in his worst season since his first year as a starter.  That staring job should be up for grabs.  Best man wins.  

Imagine how much respect and admiration Rodge would have received if he had gotten out of his cave and professed his desire to have the chance to compete with Jordan Love to be The Starting QB of The Green Bay Packers this summer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If the FO had the balls to do that (it's the right football move), I'd sing their praises forever. IF they would actually do this, they definitely have ALL the leverage.

His option must be exercised by week 1, you're giving 60m and a 99m dead cap hit to your backup? That's not leverage.

The FO only has leverage if they work with Rodgers, a move like that loses all leverage, because once Rodgers has no motivation to act in good faith, we have no leverage. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

His option must be exercised by week 1, you're giving 60m and a 99m dead cap hit to your backup? That's not leverage.

The FO only has leverage if they work with Rodgers, a move like that loses all leverage, because once Rodgers has no motivation to act in good faith, we have no leverage. 

Yes, if they had the balls to do that, yes it's the ultimate leverage. 

It might not be the best business move, but I said it would be the right football move.

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If the FO had the balls to do that (it's the right football move), I'd sing their praises forever. IF they would actually do this, they definitely have ALL the leverage.

At the very least I think they’d make it an open camp. “Let’s see who the most dedicated one is” sort of thing. The very thing GB threatened to do to Brett. Maybe MLF doesn’t have the onions…

Just now, incognito_man said:

Yes, if they had the balls to do that, yes it's the ultimate leverage. 

It might not be the best business move, but I said it would be the right football move.

Aaron could literally sit on our bench, collect like 110m, keep us from having a competitive team due to his massive cap hits and impossible to cut cap hits, there's no leverage there.

Face it, we have to kiss his *** because of that contract, and as long as we do and act in good faith, we have leverage. What you're suggesting is ballsy and the most inept move our FO could make. 

• Like 4

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Aaron could literally sit on our bench, collect like 110m, keep us from having a competitive team due to his massive cap hits and impossible to cut cap hits, there's no leverage there.

Face it, we have to kiss his *** because of that contract, and as long as we do and act in good faith, we have leverage. What you're suggesting is ballsy and the most inept move our FO could make. 

We both know Aaron would never accept that fate. They'd be calling his bluff, that's the point. 

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Its like people forgot 2018.  Pissed off Rodgers could very well run the offense as the HC wants to win the starting job and revert back to doing things his way at any time.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

We both know Aaron would never accept that fate. They'd be calling his bluff, that's the point. 

Couldn't they also just trade him to some crap team with cap space for a future 7th round draft pick.  He can retire, or show up and play and the crappy team gets the bargain of a lifetime.  They could then even shop him to other teams and it wouldn't be the Packers problem any longer. Pretty drastic stuff, but it's not the Packers can't rid themselves of him if they really had to. 

16 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Couldn't they also just trade him to some crap team with cap space for a future 7th round draft pick.  He can retire, or show up and play and the crappy team gets the bargain of a lifetime.  They could then even shop him to other teams and it wouldn't be the Packers problem any longer. Pretty drastic stuff, but it's not the Packers can't rid themselves of him if they really had to. 

Right. I definitely don't think it'll get to that point. Neither side wants any of that. But if it got nuclear, GB controls any addition to his current legacy right now.

22 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

so in this scenario

• Rodgers comes back to GB
  • GB trades Rodgers... before exercising the option bonus... to some crappy team for a 7th round pick
  • what stops Rodgers from agreeing with new team to redo the contract and remove the option bonus and get traded to a team of his choosing?

42 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He could. But that would go against what his massive ego would allow him to do. Sure, it would be spiteful and he can have a laugh at our expense but he would be likely ending his career on the bench as a backup.

I am not sure that is something that that fits with his personality. 

8 minutes ago, Striker said:

Future Packers starter Zach Wilson will be on his way over.

This is actually part of the reason I think this means more to the Jets than people are assuming, it gives them a "look Zach you're the backup" get out of jail card so to speak. It's one thing if its anybody else, but I think they can get Zach to buy in to backing up Rodgers for one maybe two seasons, and then possibly getting a new Wilson and not wasting the #2 overall pick.

Idk about that article, we could easily just let him be our QB next year, and I would almost guarantee that the thought process behind the contract was we'd eat the payments so as to make the contract tradeable at any time. We might not get 13 but I feel like their second, plus a conditional pick next year that should be a first isn't unrealistic. 

37 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

possibly. Very painful though. It would have to be post-June-1st trade & after GB exercised the 2023 option bonus (not sure a team would trade even a 7th for him if they would be on the hook for the 58m bonus if he seemed noncommittal). GB would then be stuck with a $30.4m dead-money cap hit this year and another $68m dead money that would accelerate onto the 2024 cap. GB is already shown $21m over the estimated 2024 cap, and that $68m AR figure would mean $18m adder, so the team would be $39m over the limit, with only 35 players rostered. Tack on another $14m for minimum salaries to get to 51 rostered, and we end up at $53m over the limit. They’d have to restructure a bunch of old players again just to absorb that, even if they had saved their current $15m of cap space to use as rollover. 

basically, they’d have to sit out free agency in both 2023 and 2024, and sign up for a bunch more dead money to aging players via restructure.