Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

22 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I just want that #13 pick from them some how.  A franchise level Qb that is perhaps their missing piece is worth that pick.  If they are willing to load up a caravan and fly out to Cali to see King Aaron then they are surely willing to give up their 1st round pick.  Swapping picks is minimal .. they have #13 and we have #15.

I get Packer fans wanting but put the shoe on the other foot for a minute. Why would a team trade a first half of the 1st round pick for a player in the 40th year of his life? A player contemplating retirement on top of it. Like Manning and Brees before him Rodgers is a shell of the player he was at this age. If Gutes works the Jets out of their 13th overall pick cleanly the Packers should give him a lifetime contract that day. The Jets would love to have him, very doubtful they are going braindead to make it happen though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

I would guess the plan is to stay the course with Love. Now, if one of the top guys fell to 15, could they consider it if that guy was clearly #1 on their board? I guess. 

Love is going to be the best QB in the NFC North by mid-season next year. Bookmark this post. 

I mean, Cousins is 35 and will physically start declining, Goff is Goff and Fields is one designed run from being out for the season. That might not be some big prediction like you think it is lol

2 minutes ago, R T said:

I get Packer fans wanting but put the shoe on the other foot for a minute. Why would a team trade a first half of the 1st round pick for a player in the 40th year of his life? A player contemplating retirement on top of it. Like Manning and Brees before him Rodgers is a shell of the player he was at this age. If Gutes works the Jets out of their 13th overall pick cleanly the Packers should give him a lifetime contract that day. The Jets would love to have him, very doubtful they are going braindead to make it happen though. 

The Jets increased Rodgers value by being so desperate to get him. When Woody Johnson put the 2 - 1st rounders out there his GM had to be pissed. 

I think their fanbase will turn even uglier if they don't get Rodgers now and the FO knows it. They should never play poker. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, R T said:

I would think it's a shiny new toy syndrome for Woody. Rich heck even poor people do this all the time. Buy crap they don't need when they may not even use it. I think the reason is just the possiblity, some owners are playing for the year not the next decade. For them this isn't about long term it's about money currently, filling seats and being a big deal. Just my opinion but that is what comes to mind when you ask the why would they do it. 

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I mean, Cousins is 35 and will physically start declining, Goff is Goff and Fields is one designed run from being out for the season. That might not be some big prediction like you think it is lol

You're not helping hahaha. Long way to go, hopefully the kid if he is the starter shows he belongs and is decent as he is still has upside. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Oh, I'm aware if is not a Nostradamus type of call. 

Bears fans will tell you Fields is the NEXT big thing. Lions fans believe in Goff. Vikings fans love Cousins in the regular season. 😁

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, R T said:

This is why they might:

5 minutes ago, R T said:

1. Jets haven't been to the playoffs for 12 years, the longest of any team, twice as long as the Lions

2. What other QB options are there in the market as of today?

3. Woody Johnson is 75 years old, he might not have another 12 years to wait for a playoff appearance

4. The Rams just did it, the Bucs just did it. Go all in on a veteran QB, surround them with talent, and mortgage the future

5. This is the closest they will come to being a Super Bowl contender

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, R T said:

They are braindead enough to make it happen.  Woody Johnson isn't exactly a shrewd football man .. he wants shiny things.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, R T said:

Because that's the market value? 1 year of Matt Ryan was worth a 3rd, 1 year of Carson Wentz is worth a two thirds and a move up in rd 2, an oft-injured Matt Stafford went for two firsts and another QB. 

It's like WAR in baseball, the level above replacement is attached a $ amount. The level above replacement Aaron Rodgers is from Zach Wilson/Mike White, for a single season, is worth a 1st round pick. Now 13 is a higher pick, so if we have to eat some $$$ of the contract to even out some values, I would understand. 2024/25 will be a conditional pick, and if Aaron Rodgers plays again, we'll be compensated more for his services. 

I just don’t think the Jets have that veteran defender to lead them in Aaron’s inevitable championship game collapse.

In 2010, Matthews and Raji were both second (maybe third year) players. The Jets have that skill and talent, but none of them are that game changing Charles Woodson leader.

They’re going to need to acquire tha veteran defender in free agency.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I just don’t think the Jets have that veteran defender to lead them in Aaron’s inevitable championship game collapse.

In 2010, Matthews and Raji were both second (maybe third year) players. The Jets have that skill and talent, but none of them are that game changing Charles Woodson leader.

They’re going to need to acquire tha veteran defender in free agency.

Their defense is loaded with great defenders and yesterday they traded for Chuck Clark, a very underrated safety from Baltimore. 

I still don't think they get to the Super Bowl though. More so because of their offensive line. 

19 minutes ago, R T said:

Another thing, in the last few days the Jets have had more media attention than I can ever recall. A QB like Aaron gives them relevancy.

Just look what the Browns gave up for Watson, the number of picks and a nuts contract for a dude with a history and a year removed from playing.

Rodgers is just a year removed from being the MVP. 

The Jets are DESPERATE as are any team when a QB like Rodgers comes on the market 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

If Rodgers is traded, is there any chance the team drafts a QB in the first, or is the plan strictly to stay the course with Love?

Zero chance.  The QB's in this draft are, uh, meh.  

And...if Rodgers is traded (and he won't be because look at my thread), GB is 100% absolutely going to draft either a WR or TE in round one.  Because that story would be delicious.

Furthermore...get prepared for a a meh trade, if it happens.  Swap firsts, and get a second.  Next year, get a third or a second.  Us fans always think our guys are worth more than they are.  This is a 39 year old quarterback we are talking about.  Only way GB gets more is by eating more of that contract.  

• Like 2