Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

1 hour ago, R T said:

I get Packer fans wanting but put the shoe on the other foot for a minute. Why would a team trade a first half of the 1st round pick for a player in the 40th year of his life? A player contemplating retirement on top of it. Like Manning and Brees before him Rodgers is a shell of the player he was at this age. If Gutes works the Jets out of their 13th overall pick cleanly the Packers should give him a lifetime contract that day. The Jets would love to have him, very doubtful they are going braindead to make it happen though. 

I think it's pretty clear Rodgers isn't seriosuly "contemplating retirement". Rather, he wants to play, and to play in GB preferably. GB just seems ready to move on, so Rodgers is contemplating if he wants to play elsewhere or not.

I don’t believe the Jets have “all the power” nor do I believe the Packers told Rodg they were moving on from him.  

The Packers brass dug themselves into this huge hole with this stupid contract, the first thing they need to do is admit to themselves they may have to honor it.  That’s how you keep the power.  Sure the Jets can talk to him, while the Packers listen to another team or two, and make it clear they are prepared to start him if no trade can be made.  That’s their stance with other teams.  

As far as what they told Rodg at the end of the season, I believe they took back from him what they should have kept from the start.  Who will be on the team, what system they will run, who will play.  The paradigm changed for Ol Rodg, and he became open to looking elsewhere which of course the team was ok with.

The team needs to and I’m sure did take the stance with other teams that they are in no need to do anything.  Just willing to listen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

They are braindead enough to make it happen.  Woody Johnson isn't exactly a shrewd football man .. he wants shiny things.

Tell me you know nothing about JD without telling me you know nothing about JD.

JD braindead when it comes to trades? Really now?

1 hour ago, minnypackerfan said:

The national media really wants this trade to happen.  And of course, the Jets have all the power and the Packers none. Its not quite a simple as that though....the Jets absolutely NEED a big time quarterback. The only other two QB's out there are Jackson from the Ravens who is franchised and or Jimmy Garappolo.  Garappolo is apparently already leaning toward the Raiders and the price for Jackson would be extremely expensive and the Ravens could match any offer.  So for the Jets it really is Rodgers or nothing.  Rodgers waiting might actually give the Packers more leverage. Garappolo will be gone in the first 2-3 days...then the Jets have even less room for leverage.

The Packers are also in a bad spot.  They want to move on to Love and the contract that Rodgers has gives him a lot of power. Really getting out of that bad contract is most of the win for Green Bay.

So my view is that the Jets have 90% of the power and the Packers unfortunately only have 10%....when Garappolo goes, the power moves to 75%-25%.

If the Jets had all the power, we might get a 3rd or 4th round pick this year and maybe a conditional pick next year based on performance.  If we had all the power, we would get 2 firsts and maybe even another pick on top of that.

The BEST I think the Packers can hope for is the following in the trade:

Jets get:

1. Green Bay picks up part of Rodgers contract ($10 - $15 million).
  2. Jets get Rodgers

Packers get:

1. Second Round pick in 2023
  2. Swap of First Round picks with Jets in 2023
  3. Packers get a Conditional Pick in 2024. (Highest would be a 2nd).

Anything better than this would be a huge win for Gute and the Packers

The WORST I think the Packers can get is the following in the trade:

Jets get:

1. Green Bay picks up part of Rodgers contract ($10 - $15 million).
  2. Jets get Rodgers

Packers get:

1. Third Round pick in 2023
  2. Packers get a Conditional Pick in 2024. (Highest would be a 2nd).

Anything lower than this would be a loss for the Packers...but we would still get rid of THAT contract.

This is the most honest, unbiased assessment I've seen from a Pack fan thus far.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

No. It's very pessimistic. Which is consistent with a lot of Packer fan views. 

The "best case" scenario laid out is actually the worst case.

I don't think the Packers will eat any of that contract .. it already has a super low salary cap number for 2023, and a reasonable # for 2024.  The Jets can negotiate the payout of the option bonus with Aaron.  Maybe he will defer some of that dough into the future.  Maybe the Packers take bad contract off their hands .. like Corey Davis.  Does that help their cap situation at all?  They won't need Davis after the bring in Cobb and Lazard.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

No. It's very pessimistic. Which is consistent with a lot of Packer fan views. 

The "best case" scenario laid out is actually the worst case.

Yeah I don’t know how the team with no QB and desperate for one has more leverage than the team with 2 QBs they like.

The only bad spot GB is in… is the media circus Rodgers and Love can create from being upset. And literally it will only come from one of them as the other will be a starter and have nothing to complain about.

I don’t buy the money being and issue for GB either. As everyone states… they made the deal. I think they are comfortable with it and it’s terms.

So yeah Jets don’t have all the leverage.

The situation requires everyone to be fair and honest with each other. GB can’t ask for 3 1st and woody’s first born… but jets can’t act like they are doing the Packers a favor and just give back 4ths and 5ths either. Neither have crazy leverage over the other… the thing about this is all parties seemingly want a deal to get done, if that’s the case than it benefits them to be measured in compensation for each side.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Zero chance.  The QB's in this draft are, uh, meh.  

And...if Rodgers is traded (and he won't be because look at my thread), GB is 100% absolutely going to draft either a WR or TE in round one.  Because that story would be delicious.

Furthermore...get prepared for a a meh trade, if it happens.  Swap firsts, and get a second.  Next year, get a third or a second.  Us fans always think our guys are worth more than they are.  This is a 39 year old quarterback we are talking about.  Only way GB gets more is by eating more of that contract.  

Add on, I would expect a QB to be drafted.  Just probably not in the first.  Grab a 4th or 5th round prospect to battle Danny Ettling for the number 2 spot.  Perhaps add a Graham Harrell or Matt Flynn type that is good at diagnosing the plays like an extra QB coach, not necessarily to play.  

• Like 1