Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

16 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Mentioned this the other day, and I have a feeling this is exactly what happened. Rodgers thought this was another "I'll just wait a few weeks and then tell them I'm back" but it didn't fly this time around. Now Rodgers is coping with the realization that he won't finish his career in GB, something he probably never thought was possible after signing that new contract. 

So I'm not a big Aaron Rodgers fan, but for any of this to be true, we'd have to believe Rodgers was so dumb of a person to not even consider being traded was an option while literally everyone in the world was talking about it around him.

*Edit - or have that big of an ego that he didn't think GB would choose Love over him. That's more probable for sure.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 3

There should 100% more than just one team with their hat in the ring on him, but I'd wager Management had a hard no on NFC teams. If he feels especially jaded by the FO, he could retire, take the summer to do his own thing then unretire during camp, and blow up their cap to force a release? 

Saw this theory elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

The first 90% are his waning skills. He was a bottom 12 starting QB last year. How many pro personnel departments of other teams care about how good he USED to be. Owners do, because that can still equal money. But they're shrewd, too. And there's gonna be 4 QBs gone in the top 5-10 picks. Lamar is an option. Carr was an option. 

This sentiment carries an assumption that his skills actually "waned" last season. He was the back to back MVP the two years before that, then lost Adams who was replaced with a broken down Watkins and two rookies who really didn't figure it out until the 2nd half of the season. You're taking the leap that executives and coaches would look at that situation and say "Rodgers is going downhill" but those same people might actually be thinking "wait until we put Rodgers with a better group of skill players on our team." 

If anything, I think Rodgers' contract is likely the biggest turn off for some teams. I doubt it has a lot to do with how they view him as a QB. 

47 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's possible that there were interested parties a few weeks back, but only one received permission to speak with Aaron.  As far as I know no other team has tried to enter the mix.  Who do you think is interested .. outside of the Jets?

Fair question, and I don't know?!? Really, I'm just casually paying attention.

A month ago I thought the Raiders and Colts were the top contenders for his services. Where we're at in the process it may just be the Jets now.  My point is we don't know what teams, other than the Jets, who are or were interested... For reference, was there a lot of talk about the Panthers/Bear trade before it happened?!?

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This sentiment carries an assumption that his skills actually "waned" last season. He was the back to back MVP the two years before that, then lost Adams who was replaced with a broken down Watkins and two rookies who really didn't figure it out until the 2nd half of the season. You're taking the leap that executives and coaches would look at that situation and say "Rodgers is going downhill" but those same people might actually be thinking "wait until we put Rodgers with a better group of skill players on our team." 

If anything, I think Rodgers' contract is likely the biggest turn off for some teams. I doubt it has a lot to do with how they view him as a QB. 

Sure, I could see Rodgers have a resurgence. But that would be due to a shift in his mental game more than suddenly having skills like he did a decade ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Sure, I could see Rodgers have a resurgence. But that would be due to a shift in his mental game more than suddenly having skills like he did a decade ago.

He should play better next year with a healthy thumb all year. I'm not expecting MVP type of play though. 

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

So I'm not a big Aaron Rodgers fan, but for any of this to be true, we'd have to believe Rodgers was so dumb of a person to not even consider being traded was an option while literally everyone in the world was talking about it around him.

Its probably somewhere in the middle.

He was obviously aware it was possible but ultimately believed that if he wanted to come back, ultimately they would sort things out and he would be back. The same way as a lot of people believed that despite all the other stuff going on each off-season ultimately he would be back.

Reality is he has been MVP two of the last three years and played last year with a broken thumb so in his eyes, he probably thinks he is the best player in the league (you don't get to the level he has without supreme confidence  in yourself which has been backed up on the field). Whilst you know its a possibility, its still going to be a shock when Packers say we don't want you especially given its coming from somewhere he clearly considers home.

Whilst Pete B talks a lot of rubbish, he is probably not too far off with this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

It's going to be interesting to see what Aaron Rodgers the Jets get. He's a QB that hasn't thrown for 300 yds in his last 22 games, and just posted his worst season since his first year as a starter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Question for the masses:

If Rodgers was to retire, what would your response be.

Glad he's gone.

Pissed because we got no picks.

The Packers botched this whole thing.

Appreciate his loyal to retire as a Packer and not want to play anywhere else.

Your thoughts?

Pissed we got no picks first and foremost.  Second with the benefit of hinesight the Packers botched the whole thingl 

30 minutes ago, R T said:

The idea of being low-balled is often individual perception. If Rodgers is traded the Packers will get fair value, yet some will view that fair value as a low-balled return. 

Ridiculous.  Front offices make mistakes.    Herschel Walker trade and Ricky Williams trade immediately come to mind. 

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It's going to be interesting to see what Aaron Rodgers the Jets get. He's a QB that hasn't thrown for 300 yds in his last 22 games, and just posted his worst season since his first year as a starter. 

Are we really ignoring his receiving talent?

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

In terms of skills, for me it's all about his legs. Rodgers can't get out the pocket like he used to and isn't a threat to run anymore. For a QB who likes to extend plays and hit big throws down the field, him losing his legs has been taxing. 

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Its going to be very interesting ...

Reality is the last year he was healthy he was MVP.  The year before he was MVP.  Pretty much anything is possible. If healthy, he could be MVP.  Or alternatively, last year could have been the start of the end - physically he could be done.  Pretty much anywhere from top QB in the league to an inadequate starter is in play.