Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

They'd be smart to absorb the entire hit this season. GB should actually be sitting pretty good in terms of cap in 2024, even if they restructure some guys this season. 2024 is your "go for it" year with Love (assuming he shows promise in 2023). 

In a flow chart kinda way....we got into our current cap situation for understandable reasons - IMO at least.
We had a "mature" roster that was getting us deep into the Playoffs - just not to the promised land.
We had a multiple time MVP at QB.

The COVID cap crunch affected all teams - but not all teams equally.
In order to run it back - under the reduced cap - we needed to jettison some player parts and go thru a whole bunch of contract contorsions with others - in order to keep the gang together with the goal of getting over that NFCCG hump - which we failed to do.

But now the CAPs going up again.....so those contracts can be reworked to make life a bit like it used to be.

I'm not a proponent of the "lets suck for a few years....pick up numerous top 10 draft picks....and carry on" theory.
I like the dominance the Packers have worked out. I think it matters.

Will we take a dip with Love starting as opposed to AR? Certainly. They're not the same talents - but it might not be (or need to be....) as prolonged as some might project.

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Have the other team go through the motions of making picks/trades for us in those slots. Seems like this is what happens in the NBA draft, although I could be wrong about that point.

That would be possible but unprecedented. Completely wild. I love it.

22 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Brady is retiring.  That takes him out of the SF option.  It opens the door for Rodgers to say "Trade me to San Fran, I'm not going anywhere else".

What's your next move, Gute?

“Make sure you mention your individual awards and your TD:INT ratio in your acceptance speech because Brady will give his speech after you and he has 30,000 more yards, 200 more touchdowns, 6 more Super Bowl wins, 4 more Super Bowl MVPs and only 100 less interceptions with 9 more Super Bowl appearances.”

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Have the other team go through the motions of making picks/trades for us in those slots. Seems like this is what happens in the NBA draft, although I could be wrong about that point.

I thought of that too with the NBA comparable.  The NFL if they caught wind of that would be dead against that kind of action, right?

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the other problem with this is that the acquiring team is going to want to get #12 in their building as soon as they can.  

He's not going to OTAs, you know (optional team activities 🤣). No rule against them sending him a playbook and jumping on zoom calls with the OC and HC. 

The first mandatory minicamp is June 7th. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

He's not going to OTAs, you know (optional team activities 🤣). No rule against them sending him a playbook and jumping on zoom calls with the OC and HC. 

The first mandatory minicamp is June 7th. 

I disagree. If AR moves into a new offense and roster....I believe he'd show up to OTA's.

47 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Brady is retiring.  That takes him out of the SF option.  It opens the door for Rodgers to say "Trade me to San Fran, I'm not going anywhere else".

What's your next move, Gute?

Trade him to someone like NY Jets or Las Vegas and force his hands.

24 minutes ago, 15412 said:

I thought of that too with the NBA comparable.  The NFL if they caught wind of that would be dead against that kind of action, right?

It's not really comparable.  I don't think there's a trade with June-1st designation like there with releasing players. And you don't get the cap space until then IIRC.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

No idea! You can cut someone with a June 1st designation, seems this is just semantics. 

You can cut with a June 1st designation, but can you trade someone with a June 1 designation?  Can we trade Rodg in April getting '23 picks and claim a June designation to spread the cap hit?