Least talented Super Bowl teams

NeptunePenguins

On 12/19/2022 at 6:03 PM, Shockwave said:

2005 Steelers

I get that they were a wildcard team and they didn't perform well in the Super Bowl, but seriously?

This is the same team that went 15-1 the year prior with a rookie QB unexpectedly starting all but one game. Nearly half of their starters went to the pro bowl (9).

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Duluther said:

I get that they were a wildcard team and they didn't perform well in the Super Bowl, but seriously?

This is the same team that went 15-1 the year prior with a rookie QB unexpectedly starting all but one game. Nearly half of their starters went to the pro bowl (9).

Yeah and I always thought the 2005 team was better than 2008. The Steelers with Roethlisberger as starter was 27-4 including the playoffs in 2004 and 2005. It was a great team!

Tommy Maddox cost 2 games for the Steelers in 2005 which was the reason at the end why they were a wild card team.Ben was also rusty when he returned after missing most of November

2008 Pittsburgh had the better defense (one that sadly is forgotten compared to the Seattle's Legion of Boom and Denver's No Fly Zone), but the offense suffered due to Ben playing hurt most of the season and the offensive line starting a period of bad play.

The 2005 team was much more balanced.  The reason they ended up with the wildcard was injuries and a tight race with Cincy. They got all their key guys back at the right time.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Abram_A said:

2010s giants and ravens were weak

In 2012 the Ravens were coming off back-to-back 12-4 seasons, and were one Lee Evans drop from reaching the Super Bowl in 2011. They reached either the divisional round game or AFC championship game for four consecutive years prior to 2012.  

They had some injuries in 2012 during the regular season so were "only" 10-6, but those players returned for the playoffs. They were an elite team from 2008-2012 that finally broke through in the 5th year. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

Yeah and I always thought the 2005 team was better than 2008. The Steelers with Roethlisberger as starter was 27-4 including the playoffs in 2004 and 2005. It was a great team!

Tommy Maddox cost 2 games for the Steelers in 2005 which was the reason at the end why they were a wild card team.Ben was also rusty when he returned after missing most of November

21 minutes ago, biggie. said:

2008 Pittsburgh had the better defense (one that sadly is forgotten compared to the Seattle's Legion of Boom and Denver's No Fly Zone), but the offense suffered due to Ben playing hurt most of the season and the offensive line starting a period of bad play.

The 2005 team was much more balanced.  They got all their key guys back at the right time.

The 2005 team also had Richard Rydze, he was an amazing team doctor. He made their team so strong! 

On 1/7/2023 at 12:31 PM, Duluther said:

Yea after looking deeper into it you're right. In terms of talent they were stacked (which was the question at hand). Just from my memory and in my minds eye I remembered it being a very sketchy postseason and then an awful SB performance. I digress

It’s gotta be the 2018 Pats for me. They beat a Rams team where their best player(Gurley) was a shell of his early season self. Kupp was out and Goff wasn’t hard to figure out. I think If the refs would have been better in the NFC championship game, the saints go on to win that Super Bowl.