Random NFL Tidbits

Forge

So this isn’t a NFL tidbit but a thought I had and didn’t want to make a full thread on it. What if Saudi Arabia investors bought the XFL or USFL and started throwing insane amounts of money to star NFL and college players. Like the old USFL x10.

I’ve seen them get involved with more and more leagues/sports and it got my mind wondering.

2 hours ago, Soko said:

Certainly some salt in this tweet, but any merit?

120% there is. 

I don't know about whether it's about being friends with the starting QB, but friendly with the coach / players or other decison makers? Having the coach like you? 100%. I mean, Kyle Shanahan vacations with certain players on the 49ers every year. They are called "the cabo clique". George Kittle and Juice  seem to be the guys who headline this from what I can tell.  Those players bring certain others in to the fold (see CMC, Sam Darnold) when the team acquires them, but doesn't appear to do that with every player.  When Trey Lance was a rookie, Kyle wanted to rotate him into the game to get him reps and experience (he came in and threw a TD pass on the first drive against Detroit that year and later ran a TD in against Green Bay in one of the early games), that idea was canned because the offense and vets came to Kyle and told him they didn't like it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

120% there is. 

I don't know about whether it's about being friends with the starting QB, but friendly with the coach / players or other decison makers? Having the coach like you? 100%. I mean, Kyle Shanahan vacations with certain players on the 49ers every year. They are called "the cabo clique". George Kittle and Juice  seem to be the guys who headline this from what I can tell.  Those players bring certain others in to the fold (see CMC, Sam Darnold) when the team acquires them, but doesn't appear to do that with every player.  When Trey Lance was a rookie, Kyle wanted to rotate him into the game to get him reps and experience (he came in and threw a TD pass on the first drive against Detroit that year and later ran a TD in against Green Bay in one of the early games), that idea was canned because the offense and vets came to Kyle and told him they didn't like it. 

Oof, dang. That sounds way worse than it probably is, lol.

I mean, being likable and friends with players/coaches is obviously not a bad thing. All things being equal, it should help your standing as far as playing, support, and potentially a roster spot goes. If all things were equal…pretty wild though, for a contending team anyway. Some backup QBs are awful but I assumed it was because they were a good “second set of eyes”, like most people assume Peterman was. He got cut though too.