Time to Sack Hackett

jolly red giant

38 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I'm not one to carry water for billionaires, but Greg Penner isn't an idiot lol. He's an extremely accomplished guy. Frankly, I would have actually expected you to be somewhat happy with him because he's *not* trying to be a football guy. He's trying to build org culture. 

I don’t think Mr Walmart is an “idiot” but, like I said, it’s not like he’s a revolutionary businessman, he married into the Walmart empire. 

He’s going to lead the coaching search. Why? Because he hired CEOs who found a cheaper way for slave labor to produce Walmart crap? He has 5 months of football experience. At least Joe Ellis had a few decades which came under Mr. B who let football people like Dan Reeves and Mike Shanahan run the football side of his football team. And even with that experience, who was Ellis’ hire? McDaniels. Why was McDaniels his hire? Because he came from a “winning culture” and would be easy to control as a 32 year old rookie HC. Sound familiar? 

He wants the new HC to report to him, not George, saying such is a typical NFL structure. Such is typical for the established, elite HCs, the Belichicks, the Carrolls, the Tomlins, the Shanahans of the world, not the Dan Quinns or Shane Steichens. Absent the star HC, said HC’s boss is the GM/team president who in turn reports to the owner/CEO. 

If he goes and gets a powerful HC like Jim Harbaugh or Sean Payton, fine, empower him, let him hire his GM or be the GM himself. 

I hear Walmart saying he wants to hire the HC, fine, it’s his money, but I also hear Dan Snyder. I hear Walmart say he’s impatient, I hear Jimmy Haslem. 

5 months ago Walmart said he trusted George to run the football side of things because he himself doesn’t know football. A month later he hired Damani Leech to run the business side. Now, the admittedly impatient Mr Walmart is leading the HC search and having said HC hire report to him rather than his football.

I hear that and I hear Mark Davis.  

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

40 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

He did basically accept all blame to this point which I loved. I read that Paton did also. Seriously AAA, this guys got some serious leadership skills. He's made some rapid decisions, all of which were due. 

We need to give this guy some time. My impression so far is he's the real deal. Give him some rope and see what he does. In the last week my view of ownership has skyrocketed.

I’m not going to repeat everything I said to Ben but I heard a rookie owner with ZERO football experience admit he is impatient and also cut off his GM at the kneecaps who just months ago he lauded as the football guy. 

If Walmart’s opinion on the Russ trade he said he loved, the coach hire he applauded, the vision for the franchise he endorsed mere months ago is suddenly all crap because he hated the results, then go hire a football expert of your own. 

Last I checked Jon Robinson with ties to that “winning culture” in New England, is available for work. 

My view is Mr Walmart should let football people do football stuff and he can focus on upgrading the Jumbotron and tricking out the suites they use to schmooze their corporate partners. 

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’m not going to repeat everything I said to Ben but I heard a rookie owner with ZERO football experience admit he is impatient and also cut off his GM at the kneecaps who just months ago he lauded as the football guy. 

If Walmart’s opinion on the Russ trade he said he loved, the coach hire he applauded, the vision for the franchise he endorsed mere months ago is suddenly all crap because he hated the results, then go hire a football expert of your own. 

Last I checked Jon Robinson with ties to that “winning culture” in New England, is available for work. 

My view is Mr Walmart should let football people do football stuff and he can focus on upgrading the Jumbotron and tricking out the suites they use to schmooze their corporate partners. 

I'm not talking about the Waltons, I'm talking about our CEO Penner.

Edited by AKRNA

23 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I don’t think Mr Walmart is an “idiot” but, like I said, it’s not like he’s a revolutionary businessman, he married into the Walmart empire. 

He’s going to lead the coaching search. Why? Because he hired CEOs who found a cheaper way for slave labor to produce Walmart crap? He has 5 months of football experience. At least Joe Ellis had a few decades which came under Mr. B who let football people like Dan Reeves and Mike Shanahan run the football side of his football team. And even with that experience, who was Ellis’ hire? McDaniels. Why was McDaniels his hire? Because he came from a “winning culture” and would be easy to control as a 32 year old rookie HC. Sound familiar? 

He wants the new HC to report to him, not George, saying such is a typical NFL structure. Such is typical for the established, elite HCs, the Belichicks, the Carrolls, the Tomlins, the Shanahans of the world, not the Dan Quinns or Shane Steichens. Absent the star HC, said HC’s boss is the GM/team president who in turn reports to the owner/CEO. 

If he goes and gets a powerful HC like Jim Harbaugh or Sean Payton, fine, empower him, let him hire his GM or be the GM himself. 

I hear Walmart saying he wants to hire the HC, fine, it’s his money, but I also hear Dan Snyder. I hear Walmart say he’s impatient, I hear Jimmy Haslem. 

5 months ago Walmart said he trusted George to run the football side of things because he himself doesn’t know football. A month later he hired Damani Leech to run the business side. Now, the admittedly impatient Mr Walmart is leading the HC search and having said HC hire report to him rather than his football.

I hear that and I hear Mark Davis.  

You're confusing me here. I believe @broncos67 and I are talking about Greg Penner. I Think you're talking about a different guy entirely. Personally I haven't got a clue what Walton thinks.

46 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Really we’re going to be semantical on this? 

Semantics has nothing to do with anything. Penner and Walton aren't the same guy. Walton is a loud mouthed stockholder, Penner is the CEO, The guy in charge.

What Walton thinks or says has no bearing on anything. Right now I'll bet Connie and the driver just wish Walton would shut his mouth and let Penner do his job. Something I think he's doing well at. Just do us a favor and identify quotes with the individual. 

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

He’s not an Elon Musk type who changed the world with his innovation. 

with all due respect AAA - Elon Musk is the epitomy of a nepo baby. His father owned a diamond mine in Zambia. The guy never innovated anything - he hired the innovators and got them to do the work. He is also an atrocious businessman - Tesla lost money right up until 2020 when it turned over a small profit. He has basically built his wealth on using other people's money by hyping up his 'innovation' of stuff like Tesla. And then he goes and lands himself in it with his $44b buyout of Twitter -realised he bought a pup and tried to back out - was then forced to follow through on the buyout - and boy didn't the previous owners laugh all the way to the bank.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

with all due respect AAA - Elon Musk is the epitomy of a nepo baby. His father owned a diamond mine in Zambia. The guy never innovated anything - he hired the innovators and got them to do the work. He is also an atrocious businessman - Tesla lost money right up until 2020 when it turned over a small profit. He has basically built his wealth on using other people's money by hyping up his 'innovation' of stuff like Tesla. And then he goes and lands himself in it with his $44b buyout of Twitter -realised he bought a pup and tried to back out - was then forced to follow through on the buyout - and boy didn't the previous owners laugh all the way to the bank.

Good post. Personally I'm quite a fan of his. I think a more proper definition for Elon would be "visionary". His "Occupy Mars" T-shirt would attest to that. He has to be fairly charismatic because he's got some brilliant people bringing to life his ideas. 

I really like the guy. 

FWIW it seems obvious now - but remember when ppl were saying Hackett deserved a 2nd year with the KC 2H comeback and ARI W, and the NFL put out this presentation to the owners’ meeting preaching patience, suggesting this was gaining steam?    LOL good times.   

While it was probably the lowest point we’ve had in a long time - that Xmas massacre clearly sped up Hackett’s ouster.   I can live with the pain of that game much better knowing it served a real purpose to get the transition started.   

Edited by Broncofan

On 12/28/2022 at 11:46 PM, AKRNA said:

Good post. Personally I'm quite a fan of his. I think a more proper definition for Elon would be "visionary". His "Occupy Mars" T-shirt would attest to that. He has to be fairly charismatic because he's got some brilliant people bringing to life his ideas. 

I really like the guy. 

He's an arch reactionary Trumpite - and he steals other people's ideas. The guy is a spoofer who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and has a tremendous sense of entitlement. The debacle over Twitter shows how far out of touch he really is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW it seems obvious now - but remember when ppl were saying Hackett deserved a 2nd year with the KC 2H comeback and ARI W, and the NFL put out this presentation to the owners’ meeting preaching patience, suggesting this was gaining steam?    LOL good times.   

While it was probably the lowest point we’ve had in a long time - that Xmas massacre clearly sped up Hackett’s ouster.   I can live with the pain of that game much better knowing it served a real purpose to get the transition started.   

I agree - as long as they get the transition process right.

12 hours ago, Broncofan said:

And honestly the Chiefs game was VERY close to being the lowest point. Just took an extra week or two lol 

14 minutes ago, champ11 said:

And honestly the Chiefs game was VERY close to being the lowest point. Just took an extra week or two lol 

It was getting to the point where the win in London was looking like the worst possible outcome.   I firmly believe we could have won the TEN / BAL & even the 2nd LV game, with better in-game management and/or better pre-game preparation on O.    What's done is done, but the point being is that I truly believe we wouldn't be 3-11 with Hackett ousted at the UK game, given how close those 3 games were.   

If Hackett didn't get fired at the JAX UK game, then the LAR embarrassment, if it's the final straw that pushed for an in-season firing, well so be it.  I realize there are no guarantees that ownership/Paton will get the next HC call right - but there was literally only more pain, frustration and hopelessness with more games of Hackett at the helm.    I'm just glad that's over.   

Edited by Broncofan

9 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

He's an arch reactionary Trumpite - and he steals other people's ideas. The guy is a spoofer who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and has a tremendous sense of entitlement. The debacle over Twitter shows how far out of touch he really is.

That's the greatest thing about this forum,. Differing opinions are welcome and openly discussed, not censured or eliminated by a moderator with a an opposing point of view.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

That's the greatest thing about this forum,. Differing opinions are welcome and openly discussed, not censured or eliminated by a moderator with a an opposing point of view.

• Like 1