MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

The NFL needs to come out and say the plan before week 18 begins correct? Because if they are calling it a tie or a no contest that certainly changes things for some teams. Do the Bills care about this game on Sunday if they know they aren't resuming their game against the Bengals for a potential #1 seed? Do the Bengals just rest starters against the Ravens and visa/versa if the Bengals already clinched due to a no contest?

Regarding Hamlin, it sounds like there has been some promising signs overnight and this morning which is amazing all things considered. It also makes it slightly easier on the Bills knowing Hamlin is improving and gives them that focus on OK we got a game to take care of Sunday. 

Like everyone has posted, the biggest question is what the heck do they do with this Bengals/Bills game..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, amac said:

All the  stuff he says I can't believe this is the one people decided was too much. I feel like people aren't fully comprehending what he said, but the outrage virus took hold

I get what you're saying, but the man could not have been more wrong reading the room. 

19 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

I say just play week 18 and if the bills/bengals would have mattered, just play that game in week 19

If it wouldnt have mattered, a no contest

I think moving the schedule around and adding weeks is a non-starter for the NFL.  A whole lot of contract law tied into that between the CBA, player contracts, and media contracts.

• Like 2

I can't see how it's not a no-contest at this point. I thought maybe the game could be played Thursday, and then their season finale is each done on a Tuesday...but right before the playoffs that's a lot of stress on the players.

The Ravens losing the AFCN and the fantasy football/sportsbetting world taking an L seems like the lessor of two evils compared to moving everything back which would be a nightmare for the league with multiple industries involved. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Unfortunately yes, but from the tidbits we've gotten, it sounds like he is slowly improving so that is good at least. They're probably more privy to more information than we are too. 

Sadly I think the info being transmitted is about his lung injury.   He likely aspirated into his lungs before he was placed on a ventilator and he was so sick they had to prone him (put him on his stomach).  That’s only needed when the initial lung injury is so severe conventional ventilation methods aren’t working well.     In those situations he would never have been weaned off sedation.  

The “good news” that refers to readings is that his lung injury is likely improving.  But that literally has no bearing on how much his brain will recover.   It’s good that his lings are improving - but it doesn’t affect the uncertainty on his brain injury (although lungs failing to heal would not be good for him in general obv).  

Sadly I suspect the “good news” & readings relate to his lung injury.  Which is good to see it’s improving.   But likely we won’t know for a while yet on neurological recovery (as sedation needed to tolerate proning/ ventilation will still be on board and need time to wear off).  

The fact this is coming as second-hand information from a family friend makes it far more likely they’re hearing the lungs  are better and thinking it means his chances to recover neurologically are better.   The 2 are separate (unless lungs don’t recover but that’s unlikely in these situations).    And it’s more likely given the severity of initial lung injury the ability to predict brain recovery will be longer now.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I think they should ask the 2 teams and maybe KC + Balt if a no contest is good with all parties. If they all agree, knowing the standing implications, we can move on.

What is Baltimore supposed to say in that situation though? Not acquiescing would just bring major backlash. 

1 minute ago, General Tso said:

Well, sometimes life happens and this is where we are. No perfect solution unfortunately.

True. I guess I meant to say that the league should just decide themselves and not ask the teams if it's ok. That would just make it awkward. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

True. I guess I meant to say that the league should just decide themselves and not ask the teams if it's ok. That would just make it awkward. 

Agreed, the league just needs to make a call and deal with a few pissed off teams.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BillSabre said:

Locks them at 3 when they had a chance at 1. 

Locks Bills at 2 when they had a chance at 1.

Locks Chiefs at 1 when there was a chance they could fall to 3. 

SUPER MESSY 

All of it is messy. A no contest is the easiest and cleanest option on the table. 

6 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

All of it is messy. A no contest is the easiest and cleanest option on the table. 

I think the best scenario is to cancel the probowl and move everything up a week.

I dont think KC wants to win the 1 seed that way. And Bills deserve a chance to earn that bye week in playoffs so they can get their heads right

Just now, Kmart128 said:

I think the best scenario is to cancel the probowl and move everything up a week.

I dont think KC wants to win the 1 seed that way. And Bills deserve a chance to earn that bye week in playoffs so they can get their heads right

They aren't going to change the schedule of 32 teams to accommodate 2. 

8 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

They aren't going to change the schedule of 32 teams to accommodate 2. 

It wont change anyones schedule. It would just eliminate a meaningless game. And give all teams except for Bill and Bengals a bye week before playoffs. Instead of having a bye week before superbowl