MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

Someone had this idea. I don't hate it. 

I posted this in another thread but my crazy idea would be to give the W to whichever team has the highest point differential in their week 18 matchup.

Bengals play the Ravens, who are number 2 in their division, and the Bills play the Pats, who are also (tied for) number 2 in their division. The Bengals can also start with an automatic +4 points in the differential based on the score from Monday night.

I originally came up with this as a joke but I’m starting to actually like the idea. It both gives the team something extra to play for this weekend and gives them (somewhat) control of their own destiny, as opposed to leaving it up to a random number generator or going by season win %. Plus it would be kind of fun seeing the teams try to run up the score in garbage time.

5 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

It would be extremely stupid, which is why I won't be surprised if that is what they do.  They should finalize a decision before Thursday Night Football tonight.  Only going to be more headaches if they don't.

there is not Thursday night game this week.   First game is Saturday

It would be extremely stupid, which is why I won't be surprised if that is what they do.  They should finalize a decision before Thursday Night Football tonight.  Only going to be more headaches if they don't.

There is no TNF. Saturday kicks off the week. 

I'd guess they've already decided that nothing will be done; no contest.  You don't wait almost a full week to reveal the plan when that plan includes a massive rescheduling involving hundreds if not thousands of people that needs to happen immediately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

I'd guess they've already decided that nothing will be done; no contest.  You don't wait almost a full week to reveal the plan when that plan includes a massive rescheduling involving hundreds if not thousands of people that needs to happen immediately.

Or the flip of that is that it takes a few days to make sure the logistics of it all work before making any announcements. 

13 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I legit think the NFL hopes they don't have to make a call and the week 18 games finish in a way that this game has 0 impact on anything with the playoffs.

1 minute ago, BillSabre said:

Or the flip of that is that it takes a few days to make sure the logistics of it all work before making any announcements. 

My bet is that if they were making all of those calls to try and move things around, it would have leaked already.  Too many people involved for it to be kept under wraps for this long. 

Just biding their time until it's better for them optically to announce. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I legit think the NFL hopes they don't have to make a call and the week 18 games finish in a way that this game has 0 impact on anything with the playoffs.

The odds of that happening are slim to none. Also, that is just a bad look. There are implications for more than the top 3 seeds. Everybody deserves a fair shake at things.  IF the plan is to not play the game, they need to say it because it can and I’d say will affect how certain teams even approach week 18. 

Edited by BillSabre
Add

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

You can't let teams go into Week 18 blind to playoff implications. The announcement needs to be made before Saturday.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

You can't let teams go into Week 18 blind to playoff implications. The announcement needs to be made before Saturday.  

I think the NFL more or less acknowledged that too if I recall. 

54 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Why?? This is similar to why the league schedules some games at the same time. To play the game straight up. I mean I get why it would suck not knowing going into a game the implications of playoffs. I don't know, I get it, I really do. But of all the screwed-up variables and no-win situations the league is in with this I just think this isn't high on their priority list of concerns.

Prayers to Damar.

Edited by HDsportsfan
Grammar as usual, prolly still bad