MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

Just now, vike daddy said:

actually, it's been determined now that breathing for the victiom is unwarranted, and compressions are far more critical. so anything that stops you from doing compressions is not needed.

They tell you the breathing is optional now, but I've never been trained to stop doing it. The 15:1 ratio of compressions to breathing is new. Used to be 5:1 I think? Been a while.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

They tell you the breathing is optional now, but I've never been trained to stop doing it. The 15:1 ratio of compressions to breathing is new. Used to be 5:1 I think? Been a while.

vike mommy is a Respiratory Therapist, and tells me the breathing isn't even done any more. keep compressions going until trained medical staff arrives and then they'll oxygen bag the patient mechanically, or will pump oxygen in to him/her under pressure,

compressions are vital. don't stop doing them for any reason.

and do them HARD. if you don't feel the ribs flexing, you're not compressing enough. frequently they will break in older patients, which creates its own set of recovery problems. but the alternative is worse.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I've been CPR certified somewhere between 7-10 times for coaching and first aid, and within the past 5 years, they got rid of the breathing altogether for us and focused on chest compressions. They said to do the "staying alive" Beegee's beat for beats per minute.

That's at least the American Red Cross version...I don't know.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Great idea, anyone can learn CPR and even if you don't have time to get certified, you can do it on youtube:

In our last "safety team" meeting, I pitched the idea to the entire administrative team that every teacher should be mandated to be CPR and First Aid certified and that is easily the best usage of our professional development time and meeting days, because it's the most likely to actually make any semblance of a difference.

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

vike mommy is a Respiratory Therapist, and tells me the breathing isn't even done any more. keep compressions going until trained medical staff arrives and then they'll oxygen bag the patient mechanically, or will pump oxygen in to him/her under pressure,

compressions are vital. don't stop doing them for any reason.

Next time this comes up I'm gonna hold the trainer's feet to the fire and make them give a yes/no answer because that's the strongest no-breathing position on CPR I've heard.

Both AMA and NSH offer each option though:

https://cpr.heart.org/en/resources/what-is-cpr

How is CPR Performed?

There are two commonly known versions of CPR:

1. For healthcare providers and those trained: conventional CPR using chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth breathing at a ratio of 30:2 compressions-to-breaths. In adult victims of cardiac arrest, it is reasonable for rescuers to perform chest compressions at a rate of 100 to 120/min and to a depth of at least 2 inches (5 cm) for an average adult, while avoiding excessive chest compression depths (greater than 2.4 inches [6 cm]).
  2. For the general public or bystanders who witness an adult suddenly collapse: compression-only CPR, or Hands-Only CPR. Hands-Only CPR is CPR without mouth-to-mouth breaths. It is recommended for use by people who see a teen or adult suddenly collapse in an out-of-hospital setting (such as at home, at work, or in a park).

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/first-aid/cpr/

CPR on adults

If you have been trained in CPR, including rescue breaths, and feel confident using your skills, you should give chest compressions with rescue breaths.

If you're not completely confident, attempt hands-only CPR instead.

Hands-only CPR

To carry out a chest compression:

1. Kneel next to the person and place the heel of your hand on the breastbone at the centre of their chest. Place the palm of your other hand on top of the hand that's on their chest and interlock your fingers.
  2. Position yourself so your shoulders are directly above your hands.
  3. Using your body weight (not just your arms), press straight down by 5 to 6cm (2 to 2.5 inches) on their chest.
  4. Keeping your hands on their chest, release the compression and allow their chest to return to its original position.
  5. Repeat these compressions at a rate of 100 to 120 times a minute until an ambulance arrives or for as long as you can.

Interesting the NHS defers to rescue breaths ("should"), but the US version presents them as 2 options.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I've been CPR certified somewhere between 7-10 times for coaching and first aid, and within the past 5 years, they got rid of the breathing altogether for us and focused on chest compressions. They said to do the "staying alive" Beegee's beat for beats per minute.

That's at least the American Red Cross version...I don't know.

yep. you got it.

another reason the "life breaths" were removed is that it was being observed that the responding non-medical laymen weren't really doing it correctly, and that their compressions were not hard enough. plus, they didn't start soon enough. so given those factors, doing compressions only created the greatest odds of survival until trained and equipped medics arrive.

• Like 3