Head coaching candidates thread

paul-mac

27 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Just curious, but based on what? He's a great draft guy but that's it. His only experience in HC selection was the worst decision in this franchises history.

So again, based on what? You've just told me that 3 guys with 120 years experience in the NFL have nothing to offer but a 1st time GM with only player personnel experience does.

Alrighty then.

Think he's talking more generally. For instance a dude who has been in the NFL 20+ years still has a higher chance to make a good hire (despite previously making a bad one) than owners who have none. Also I think he's saying that if you take coaching hires away from a GM, why do you still have him as GM? Job title of Director of Player Personnel would be more appropriate.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Quinn is the Fox equivalent in this example. But I think Fox was a better coach as he didn’t need an elite OC and staff to get success. Either way, Quinn, or maybe Caldwell, is the equivalent. 

If I was in charge, I’d just hire DeMeco Ryans and tell him he has 4 years at minimum barring historic, Hackett-level ineptitude or a major scandal.  

DeMeco Ryans is now top of my list. I think he’d keep Evero and even help him to become a better DC. Bring in a OC like Frank Reich and I think we are in a position to complete. Giving up more picks will indeed set this franchise back further. The most I’d be willing to trade for Payton is a 3rd rounder. Anything more and I’d pass. Ryans will be a great coach in this league and if we can land him we won’t have to worry about coaching for a very long while. Letting Shanahan get on a plane to SF was the greatest failure this franchise ever made. We cannot do that again with the next up and coming elite coach. 

1 minute ago, CDNBRONCOSFAN said:

DeMeco Ryans is now top of my list. I think he’d keep Evero and even help him to become a better DC. Bring in a OC like Frank Reich and I think we are in a position to complete. Giving up more picks will indeed set this franchise back further. The most I’d be willing to trade for Payton is a 3rd rounder. Anything more and I’d pass. Ryans will be a great coach in this league and if we can land him we won’t have to worry about coaching for a very long while. Letting Shanahan get on a plane to SF was the greatest failure this franchise ever made. We cannot do that again with the next up and coming elite coach. 

The thing with Shanny's son was that he wanted control over personnel, and that wasn't going to happen with Elway there. 

11 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

The thing with Shanny's son was that he wanted control over personnel, and that wasn't going to happen with Elway there. 

It was all about who’s the biggest dog in the yard. Elway wanted to be top dog. Any great leader or manager will consider their own weaknesses and hire people who excel in those areas. I think it was more the other guys involved in that coaching search. Joe Ellis comes to mind. Nobody else was going to hire Vance. But anyway look at guys SF has drafted under Shannys leadership. He knows how to identify talent and coach to a players abilities. 

33 minutes ago, CDNBRONCOSFAN said:

Well just heads up Demeco is looking quite strongly like he's going to the Texans...to the point Vegas actually removed the betting on it. I don't really feel much of a loss there though. When I've watched the 49ers this season, he looks nearly exactly like Evero in terms of ability to plan on the fly and have respect from players. It would be a pretty redundant hire if we somehow got him and honestly a bit of a slap in the face to Evero.

https://twitter.com/PatrickStormHTX/status/1617362884933345287?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1617362884933345287|twgr^54a359b35d82fe679c96fe770e533d39234b7242|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.footballsfuture.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcoremodule%3Dsystemcontroller%3Dembedurl%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FPatrickStormHTX%2Fstatus%2F1617362884933345287%3Fs%3D2026t%3Duy4Jrljb_2Uwx5GTcOy_LQ

3 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Now that Harbaugh is out, throwing support behind Dan Quinn.  Payton for a 1+3 would be a f***ing catastrophe 

This just came out today:

Are we sure the door has closed on Jim Harbaugh coaching the Broncos? - Denver Sports

“Last year, Jim Harbaugh was embarrassed. He was personally embarrassed. He thought he had the Vikings job and they spurned him at the final bell and they hired Kevin O’Connell,” Zach Bye said. “Harbaugh didn’t get that job but he had every intention on leaving. This time around I don’t think he wants to go through that again, but I do think there’s a reason why he interviewed with the Broncos.”

Bye went on to ask a couple of very interesting questions, including why hasn’t Harbaugh gotten a new deal with the Wolverines yet?

“Why would you interview for a job that you’re not interested in? You are interested. But you don’t want to get embarrassed for a second year in a row in similar fashion. And you know what we haven’t heard since then? That Jim Harbaugh’s got a 10-year Mel Tucker deal with Michigan. It’s all quiet on the maize and blue front. A little bit too quiet,” Bye said.

1 hour ago, CDNBRONCOSFAN said:
Letting Shanahan get on a plane to SF was the greatest failure this franchise ever made. We cannot do that again with the next up and coming elite coach. 

Joe Ellis’ small man syndrome is why Kyle wasn’t offered the job, not the only reason, but a major reason. 

1 hour ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

This is the other reason. Kyle and Elway might have been able to work together but when push came to shove it would have been Elway with the final say. SF allowed Kyle to pick his own GM and, thus, have final say. 

Another reason is that they liked Vance a year earlier and he was frat brothers with Matt Russell. 

17 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Those two are both idiots. Like most Fan hosts, Bye is an east coaster with no ties to, or real, serious affinity for, Denver sports. Stokely is using his name and fame as a try-hard white WR who is friends with Peyton Manning to collect a paycheck. 

Harbaugh is staying Michigan, clickbait garbage spewed out by a talk radio station notwithstanding. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Another reason is that they liked Vance a year earlier and he was frat brothers with Matt Russell. 

Naturally. Things got pathetic at Dove Valley after #18 left. Jerry brought to the team in two weeks what was missing the last six years: Accountability. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Joe Ellis’ small man syndrome is why Kyle wasn’t offered the job, not the only reason, but a major reason.

This is why I don't praise Pat Bowlen as much as everyone else does. He should have looked for a new owner when he was slipping, and not wasted his time with any trust. 

11 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Those two are both idiots. Like most Fan hosts, Bye is an east coaster with ties to, or real, serious affinity for, Denver sports. Stokely is using his name and fame as a try-hard white WR who is friends with Peyton Manning to collect a paycheck. 

Harbaugh is staying Michigan, clickbait garbage spewed out by a talk radio station notwithstanding. 

Hey come on, I'm an east coaster!

• Like 2

Dan, I agree with your earlier post about this process. I do think it's odd to freeze Paton out. I acknowledge he also needs to face accountability for his actions, but he IS still the GM. If you don't want him, get rid of him, but he occupies that position and should have a seat at the table.

I did think it was interesting that Klis brought up the fact that past coaching searches saw the interview staff get enamored by a candidate interview and move to immediately hire him without the follow up due diligence. I think the new ownership is getting that right. I'd actually argue the easy thing to do is go throw draft picks at the Saints and pay Sean Payton a few Brinks trucks full of money but that's not what we're seeing.

My biggest worry, frankly, is the David Shaw/Stanford club situation rears its ugly head. Could see the search committee getting enamored because they all spent time at the same alma mater.

Anyway, I still think it's gonna be Quinn. Sounds like he bombed the interview last year. I think he'll be better suited this time around if he wants the role.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CDNBRONCOSFAN said:

I like Ryans a lot, but you anointing him the next elite coach is a bit presumptuous.

He is coaching a defensive that already saw one coordinator promoted to a HC job. The roster is absolutely stacked with talent. He's not faced much adversity in his young career as a result. What DC would not find some modicum of success with that roster?

There’s more chatter today Payton may be staying as a broadcaster.    

This is the flip side.  If the price is too high and the 1-2 teams that Payton wants aren’t willing to either meet the Saints price or give him the control he wants (or both) - he goes back to Fox.   The fact it’s Saints beat reporter posting this is pretty notable.    The PR leak war no doubt will continue but it seems like more than smoke here.   

Edited by Broncofan

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Dan, I agree with your earlier post about this process. I do think it's odd to freeze Paton out. I acknowledge he also needs to face accountability for his actions, but he IS still the GM. If you don't want him, get rid of him, but he occupies that position and should have a seat at the table.

I did think it was interesting that Klis brought up the fact that past coaching searches saw the interview staff get enamored by a candidate interview and move to immediately hire him without the follow up due diligence. I think the new ownership is getting that right. I'd actually argue the easy thing to do is go throw draft picks at the Saints and pay Sean Payton a few Brinks trucks full of money but that's not what we're seeing.

My biggest worry, frankly, is the David Shaw/Stanford club situation rears its ugly head. Could see the search committee getting enamored because they all spent time at the same alma mater.

Anyway, I still think it's gonna be Quinn. Sounds like he bombed the interview last year. I think he'll be better suited this time around if he wants the role.

You are right Ben, I do appreciate the fact that they’re being diligent and going through an exhaustive process which is a very corporate approach. Anyone who has ever worked for a large corporation knows it’s as unwieldy as an oil tanker, the only entity that operates with less efficiency is the government. 

If it ends up being Quinn, Klis is saying he expects a change to the 4-3, which likely means bye bye Evero. It’s also likely he brings Bevall with him, which would also be suboptimal. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican